General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Taipan »

Took the campervan for its MOT which it passed with no advisories! :thumbup:
Ant

Post by Ant »

So far today I've been doing doner kebab farts after having a kebab last night after a few beers with some guys I used to work with. I can still taste the doner meat, chips, chilli sauce now my farts are all kebabby :wub:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Managed to break my phone. :thumbdown:

Was getting set up to get rid of this old donkey (Galaxy S8) to reach the dizzying heights of an S10 hand-me-down from Mrs. Gremlin.

Went to take out the sim and...well, this came off in my hand:
20230406_114649_copy_784x1612.jpg
20230406_114649_copy_784x1612.jpg (83.71 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Sim is still in situ as I can still make calls, but not sure how to winkle out the sim without damaging it. Plus, this phone being sent back to Samsung is conditional on Mrs. Gremlin getting £150 trade in on her new S23 Ultra.

Hmmm. Thoughts?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
636mick

Post by 636mick »

A gentle tap into your hand May free it off and fall out. If not I would go with poking around with a screwdriver option, that’s my usual way.
Good luck
Mick
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Can you see the end of the SIM? How deep inside is it? They tend to be sit quite firmly in the contacts. If a pair of v fine nose pliers won't get it, could you put a dab of superglue on something (or a couple of things) and attach to the edge of the SIM to give something to pull on? Bit of a long shot though.

If all else fails...local dodgy phone shop can probably take it apart and may have a replacement SIM carrier.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Request a replacement SIM card, transfer your number and leave that in there, put the broken front back on and pretend you have no idea.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:48 pm Can you see the end of the SIM? How deep inside is it? They tend to be sit quite firmly in the contacts. If a pair of v fine nose pliers won't get it, could you put a dab of superglue on something (or a couple of things) and attach to the edge of the SIM to give something to pull on? Bit of a long shot though.

If all else fails...local dodgy phone shop can probably take it apart and may have a replacement SIM carrier.
Nope. Tighter than a nun's nasty in there. Can't see owt and my poking about has obviously moved the card as I'm now not on the network.

However, in the depths of my despair came Mrs. Gremlin. Being the paragon of common sense and practicality she said, 'Why don't you just order a new SIM, put the broken cover back in and we'll send the phone back. When you get the new sim just put it in the new phone'.

God damn it, I knew there was a reason I married that woman!
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Skub

Post by Skub »

gremlin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:09 pm Nope. Tighter than a nun's nasty in there. Can't see owt and my poking about has obviously moved the card as I'm now not on the network.

However, in the depths of my despair came Mrs. Gremlin. Being the paragon of common sense and practicality she said, 'Why don't you just order a new SIM, put the broken cover back in and we'll send the phone back. When you get the new sim just put it in the new phone'.

Yeahbutt,then you've been beaten by an inanimate object. When that happens,the word goes out and all the other inanimate objects in your future will know you're a surrendering easy touch.

Life will become very difficult when that happens. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Put a deposit down on a new car. What with SWMBO eternity ring it’s been a spendy month😬
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
cheb

Post by cheb »

Another tip run, after a morning larking about on the beach.

A dead pressure washer and bits, a dead compressor and a supermarket crate trolley. And not just any supermarket, this is an M&S one. With a wonky wheel.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Mussels wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:05 pm Request a replacement SIM card, transfer your number and leave that in there, put the broken front back on and pretend you have no idea.
gremlin wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 1:09 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 12:48 pm Can you see the end of the SIM? How deep inside is it? They tend to be sit quite firmly in the contacts. If a pair of v fine nose pliers won't get it, could you put a dab of superglue on something (or a couple of things) and attach to the edge of the SIM to give something to pull on? Bit of a long shot though.

Nope. Tighter than a nun's nasty in there. Can't see owt and my poking about has obviously moved the card as I'm now not on the network.

Scuttles off to check the sanctimnious I'd never sell a car with a fault' thread. :obscene-birdiedoublered:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Ran some errands, one of which involved dropping by the bank to get some cash.. so when asked "how would you like that?" I requested $20 of it in Jeffersons ($2) as it screws with the youth when you pay for something with them :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Worked out that Gremlin is married to Mussels
Honda Owner
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Demannu

Post by Demannu »

2 out of the 3 rooflights replaced.
Bit hot out on top of the van so I'll wait for a cooler/earlier day to finish off.
Can't believe moho repair shop quoted 2k to supply and fit them. Spent €320 on the vents and sikaflex, down to 40 mins now to strip and refit on the second one!
Not moaning too much as I get to keep the labour charge.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I just pulled off what may be one of my best pranks...

Went to Lowes early this morning for some hardware. There's some guy in the parking lot with a Guzzi that is trying to fire up, but not making it. The first thing I notice is that the damn thing is really rusty so can't be local, it's beat to shit & covered in extremist religious stickers that appear to be holding it together. I also notice that one of the plug caps is off.
At this point my brain went off the rails a bit...
I make a big show of casting a magic spell to make it start & during the arm waving manage to pop the plug cap on without him seeing me do it.

He looks a bit alarmed at this mumbling performance & I tell him to try again. It fires up with a spectacular BOOM from the mufflers which is accompanied by smoke rings from the loud end. I tell him the demon has been destroyed & walk into the store before he can say anything.

Come back out the store a few minutes later to find hm gone, which is a pisser as it didn't occur to me to get a pic until I was at the check out. :(
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Cruised around in my Benzo with the roof down.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

3/3
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Had a scary morning as a transfer booked for today (client gave and confirmed the dates!) was actually for tomorrow - luckily the driver went to check the flight arrival and it wasn't coming til tomorrow!!), PLUS a tour operator transfer turned out not to be in the system (bloody good job that he needed to change the times for part of the group as otherwise we wouldn't have known!!)

Anyway - a bit of stress as I'd managed to take a booking for an empty return that was confirmed just before all this happened!!

BUT - also managed to sort out all the extras and now have every driver doing a full out and return trip :D :D So, despite the stress, good result!! LOL

And, just been to my local shop to buy 'proper' bacon* so i can make some bacon butties in the morning for me and a mate to eat on the first lift. Yup, I'm skiing in the morning :D :D :D On a Saturday!! :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:

*ok, it's not Really good bacon, but it's bog standard 'wet' cured bacon. Which, when you don't get it much is pretty darned good :D :D Must make more effort to source the cut of meat and ingredients to do dry cured bacon at home :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
wull

Post by wull »

Work! Took the bike today as well, proper cold this morning, heated grips came in handy but the ride home was superb, sun was shining, roads were decent.