The journey from small guy to teenager...

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: The journey from small guy to teenager...

Post by weeksy »

Onto the weekend.

Rheola. This is a national level DH track and a prequel to the National DH in 2 weeks time. Riders entered are Jordan Williams, Charlie Hatton, of course weeksy08.
We went here last year but he crashed in practice on run 5 or 6 and hurt his shoulder which kept him out of the race on the Sunday. So he knows the track a little bit at least. It's classed as being one of the harder/hardest track in the UK series, so will be somewhat challenging that's for sure.

We'll have both of the GTs present and correct.
Image2023-01-26_08-11-27 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Along with a selection of wheels and tyres and spares. Although i very much of course hope we don't need any :D

It'll be a full weekend away potentially from pre-dawn on Sat until Sunday evening. But that partly depends on the weather and what it throws at us. Lets just say i didn't get on well with the tent at the weekend in the rain and if it's like that this weekend than i'll be driving home and back up for Sun morning. There's going to be a bucket load of dirty clothes, dirty bikes and muddy insanity.

Jobs left before the weekend... well, nothing really. Unless we come up with a solution for catering ourselves... which is certainly a possible option for me/us. But in truth i don't know what we want or need for that really or whether we just do our usual and wing it. There'll be a catering van on site and lets fact it, a bacon roll each and a coffee takes a while to be off-set in terms of costs from whatever a cooking machine of some description will take to purchase, (along with the bacon and breaded products each time hahaha)
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Off subject - I am now seeing why those rear wheels stands are useful. Where did you get them from?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I’m presuming you’ve skipped the sport nutrition module on the training schedule. Porridge for breakfast and pasta for meals would be my recommendation along with an energy/electrolyte drink for the races (I use Tailwind Nutrition products as they are stomach friendly and really seem to work for me). Torq are good as well but SIS products ruin my already flaky digestive system.

Personally I run so much better and longer on porridge than bacon, boring though that is. Might be one of those marginal gains for results, especially towards the end of the day when endurance is needed.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Eventful day

Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

^ looks slidey
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:15 am ^ looks slidey
Yeah was a bit daft at times... There's nearly as many pics on Roots and Rain of the day with people off their bikes than there is with them on it... I think 'challenging' is the phrase that best sums it up. But he seemed to enjoy himself anyway which was good :)

In an interesting turn of events i spent yesterday evening chatting with a bloke who designs and builds these.

https://www.howlerframeworks.co.uk/

properly interesting chat and a cracking evenings entertainment (despite the circumstances of the day) chatting bikes and geometry, builds, specs...
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

You watch vids of Ollie Watkins and Brendan F riding on roots and slop - and they make it look really easy ...
I find claggy, slimy mud next to impossible to ride on - and impossible to stop the bike becoming gummed up.
MingtheMerciless

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:03 am You watch vids of Ollie Watkins and Brendan F riding on roots and slop - and they make it look really easy ...
I find claggy, slimy mud next to impossible to ride on - and impossible to stop the bike becoming gummed up.
That's Sarf Dahns clay and chalk that is. The loam on Dartmoor and its edges doesn't seem to cling and stodge like the stuff of home. It also seems to be less suicidal until you hit a wet root.
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:13 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:03 am You watch vids of Ollie Watkins and Brendan F riding on roots and slop - and they make it look really easy ...
That's Sarf Dahns clay and chalk that is. The loam on Dartmoor and its edges doesn't seem to cling and stodge like the stuff of home. It also seems to be less suicidal until you hit a wet root.
Ah, so I am actually a riding god - but just riding in the wrong places ?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:01 am
Having seen you ride... that's a stretch.... i'm struggling to bow to your superiority :D
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

^ do we have a Cheeky Fucker emoji?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:08 am ^ do we have a Cheeky Fucker emoji?
:thumbdown: :lol: :wtf: :shhh:

it's a combination .. :D but works.
MingtheMerciless

weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:04 am

Having seen you ride... that's a stretch.... i'm struggling to bow to your superiority :D
that's a bit rich coming from Captain Mincer.😂😂

Says he from his "Pulpit of Talking a Good Ride" but not actually doing any riding.........
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Just looking at the depths of fields...sadly Gravity Events don't show the entrants like most do, but they're often fairly lowly subscribed compared to some. Last year in this event in the juvenile class there were only 8 riders.
But the good thing is, that means there's plenty of points up for grabs. Even the guy who got 7th still picked up 25 British Ranking points. (this is one of our main goals for 2023, to get in the top 10 UK ranking in Youth at end of season), 25 points for 7th in an A race, is the same as winning a B race basically.
Obviously we don't know how many are racing yet though in his Cat.

Last year we didn't complete the race after a decent off in practice he ended up in the car holding his shoulder and unable to move it... We decided to bail as he couldn't even get out of bed properly the next day. It's a tough course and last year was slippery through the dust, this year will be slippery mud on Sat, but a drying track for Sunday.
We're pretty much good to go though and just need to load up the van, the kit, the bikes and all the stuff..

It is as they say, Game Time.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:31 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:04 am
that's a bit rich coming from Captain Mincer.😂😂

Says he from his "Pulpit of Talking a Good Ride" but not actually doing any riding.........
Can you tell me where to send the reward of 10 GBP ?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Wet wet wet wet wet practice

G.P

Post by G.P »

if its anything like its been here this morning it'll be wetter than an otter's pocket.
Good luck to James!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

About this wet.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2023-04-01_04-07-58 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Well that's my job done for the weekend. Practice over and packed away. He got 7 runs in and finished up. It's yukky and messy. But the bike has been cleaned and put away ready for tomorrow.
All his kit is trashed as you'd expect. But he's got clean race kit for tomorrow.

Going to be way tougher than some of his other races, but if he can just ride his race and get down, that'll do nicely for now