Should America grow up and seriously restrict gun use/ownership?

Current affairs, Politics, News.

Should America restrict gun use?

Yes
21%
No
21%
Also yes because for fucks sake
46%
I live in the redneck territories of Kent and Essex and think we need more guns.
13%

Total votes: 24

ZRX61

Re: Should America grow up and seriously restrict gun use/ownership?

Post by ZRX61 »

Biden (henceforth "that senile cunt") has endeared himself to millions by making not one, but two, jokes about this latest incident.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Once upon a time I owned 3 pistols. No one was shot. I enjoyed poking holes in paper targets, which is a bit harder than it looks.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:40 pm
Horse wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:22 pm
Certainly ban the car deliberates.
Ban them all, including the single vehicle hole in the hedge bike ones.
Top tip: keep your gloves on when pulling your bike out of a hawthorn hedge :(
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:43 pm Once upon a time I owned 3 pistols. No one was shot. I enjoyed poking holes in paper targets, which is a bit harder than it looks.
I discovered my pistol shooting was a lot more accurate the faster I fired. Target was metal head/shoulder silhouette at 50ft or so. I went from "bang ding, bang miss, bang miss, bang ding, bang miss, bang ding, bang ding, bang miss, bang miss, bang ding" to "bangdingbangdingbangdingbangdingbangdingbangdingbangdingbangding".
NRA instructor mate who was watching: "holy shit, do that again"
Me: I'm not sure I can...*reloads* "bangdingbangdingbangdingbangdingbangdingbangdingbangdingbangding"
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:38 pm

I watched the CCTV, she looked like she knew how to handle a gun, she was checking corners, it's import to check corners.
Or played Call of Duty?
cheb wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:39 pm

The UK attitude is curious to me for this. We deplore workplace bullying etc but lap up Ramsey, Clarkson et al. Likewise sexual harassment and violence is similarly condemned but there's plenty of artists and musicians or their estates that still get exhibitions or royalties.
Ramsey is a chef, yelling at your brigade is just part of the job, he trained under Marco Pierre White who's a cunt outside the kitchen. Ramsey is pretty chilled outside work.
ZRX61 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:07 am

We've had two people in my town killed by arrows...
I have a compound crossbow that will fire a bolt at something like 400-odd feet per second. It's absolutely mental. Mrs Jawa won't have it in the house.

The American situation is difficult, you ban someone buying an AR-15 or some other assault rifle in a gun shop, if they want one bad enough for nefarious reasons, they probably know someone who can get one. It's not like the things are rare.

Failing that, theu just go to the shop and buy a "combat" shotgun or a few 9mm automatics. Either one is going to give little Timmy and his teachers a bad day.

It's far too late to think that banning even a particular type of gun will change much, they're too common and I can't see them messing with their beloved constitution.

Is it true that although you can't buy a fully automatic AK, you can buy a belt fed machine gun like an M60?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bigjawa wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:45 am I can't see them messing with their beloved constitution.
Not a criticism of you, but this argument always make me laugh. It's the 2nd amendment.

When the guns in a country outnumber the population it would seem to me banning them would only have limited effects.

How about investing in healthcare, mental health support and the welfare state? Or even just mandate some minimum level of paid leave, that'd be a start! Having to work every day with no guaranteed holiday would make me want to shoot people too :D
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Lots of stuff the US could do that would help.

Suggest almost any one of them and everyone will scream "Comunist" at you.

The US doesnt want to be helped.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:10 pm
Bigjawa wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:45 am I can't see them messing with their beloved constitution.
Not a criticism of you, but this argument always make me laugh. It's the 2nd amendment.

When the guns in a country outnumber the population it would seem to me banning them would only have limited effects.

How about investing in healthcare, mental health support and the welfare state? Or even just mandate some minimum level of paid leave, that'd be a start! Having to work every day with no guaranteed holiday would make me want to shoot people too :D
What are you, some kind of commie??
non quod, sed quomodo
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I voted yes, either that or just restrict Americans.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bigjawa wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:45 am Is it true that although you can't buy a fully automatic AK, you can buy a belt fed machine gun like an M60?
Joe Public can't buy 9mm "automatics" either...

You can buy indeed buy a belt fed M60, or even a 50cal Ma Duece, but the cost of doing so is prohibitively expensive. You ain't buying an M60 for under $10K, then there's the FFL3 ticket & all the expense/hassle of getting that piece of paper & the cost of ammo calculated in $100's/minute . I worked under a FFL3 many years ago & we had an M60 & several 50Cal's on hand. A full auto AK47 would fall under the same regs. There was a part in AK's that would allow a semi-auto version to fire on full auto if you held the gun upside down. Took a while for the feds to figure that out as it didn't occur to them to test fire the guns upside down. They're obviously still out there as I've heard them in a local shooting area & seen the tracer rounds on NYE.

The odd thing about belt fed weapons in Ca is that they said the "10 round magazine" law applied, so you could only have 10 round belts... which don't last long @ 600-750 rounds a minute. That law wasn't around when I was playing with them.

Calizuela banned Barrett .50 rifles.. which backfired in spectacular fashion when the various PD's in the State were told by Ronnie Barrett to go fuck themselves (literally) when they wanted their .50 rifles worked on/serviced by the manufacturer. Not sure what the current situation is as Barrett is now owned by an Aussie company.

There's only been two murders in the US by legally owned full autos, & one of those was a cop who used his PD issued gun (to off his wife IIRC)
Bigjawa wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:45 am The American situation is difficult, you ban someone buying an AR-15 or some other assault rifle in a gun shop, if they want one bad enough for nefarious reasons, they probably know someone who can get one. It's not like the things are rare.
Just go to Mexico & buy one of the thousands that Obama/Holder illegally sent across the border to the cartels. Some of those have shown up in the US in the hands of gangbangers.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
Now, I doubt very much if the school shooters or even the Branch Dividians were part of a Militia let alone a well regulated one.

There's a lot of clarification needed in that Amendment starting I'd suggest with what was intended at the time it was passed as an Amendment to the Constitution. Does the United States, with the most powerful military on the planet and a reasonably competent Home Guard need to rely on a Militia? And who gets to say that any Militia is 'well regulated'. What does that mean? Is the USA in danger of not being a 'free state'?

The legislature are basically cowards for not Amending the Amendment or taking money to do nothing. Or both.

But fuck 'em. It's their problem and they don't see it as a problem all the time they can do thoughts and prayers.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

The second amendment is there to stop an overambitious state deciding to become more authoritarian.

You know, like the dems are attempting right now with partisan control of the judiciary, mass media and the FBI/CIA.

<edit> dunno if anyone here remembers but doddery old Joe once warned any citizens who complained about the rigged election that if they tried to exercise that safeguard, "we've got F16's".

Two observations:
1. he was threatening to launch the US miltary against its own people
2. the logic of that argument implies it's "us" against "them".
Last edited by Screwdriver on Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

It's nee laughing matter.

Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

The amendments are a bit like adding a wing to a stately home a few years after it's built, after a few years they're seen as part of the original structure. But the biggest problem is that once they start repealing amendments then it's a precedent for someone who would like to appeal, say, the first or fifth ones.

One reason they won't invest more in healthcare is the same as they won't cut back on guns. Both make an awful lot of money for people, people who donate to political parties and both bring in serious amounts of tax dollars. The government won't give up it's cash cow as sick people are money generators. So is Billy Bob redneck and his mates buying ammo by the crateload.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:14 pm The second amendment is there to stop an overambitious state deciding to become more authoritarian.

You know, like the dems are attempting right now with partisan control of the judiciary, mass media and the FBI/CIA.

<edit> dunno if anyone here remembers but doddery old Joe once warned any citizens who complained about the rigged election that if they tried to exercise that safeguard, "we've got F16's".

Two observations:
Seems unfair to have a go at the alleged civil-warmongering of a doddery president and not point out the alleged civil-warmongering of a doddery past and would-be president.

From his horses mouth - no need to claim any different.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Bigjawa wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:19 pm
The amendments are a bit like adding a wing to a stately home a few years after it's built, after a few years they're seen as part of the original structure. But the biggest problem is that once they start repealing amendments then it's a precedent for someone who would like to appeal, say, the first or fifth ones.

One reason they won't invest more in healthcare is the same as they won't cut back on guns. Both make an awful lot of money for people, people who donate to political parties and both bring in serious amounts of tax dollars. The government won't give up it's cash cow as sick people are money generators. So is Billy Bob redneck and his mates buying ammo by the crateload.
The 2nd Amendment guarantees all the others...
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:14 pm The second amendment is there to stop an overambitious state deciding to become more authoritarian.

Two observations:
Right now, Biden is the most dangerous person on the planet. Between being a belligerent, egotistical cunt & a senile imbecile the dumb bastard (& General Milley) is going to drop us all into WW3. At least all the other major players are predictable.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:54 pm Right now, Biden is the most dangerous person on the planet. Between being a belligerent, egotistical cunt & a senile imbecile the dumb bastard (& General Milley) is going to drop us all into WW3. At least all the other major players are predictable.
For parity, just a reminder that Trump threatened 'fire and fury' on Kim Jong Un (after Trump, the second most volatile World leader) and to 'totally destroy' NK back in 2017, whilst also planning to blame it on someone else. Nice. When you've ousted sad-sack Biden, this is who is waiting in the wings. Win.
Is this sort of President-talk worrying or chest-beating for the dull masses or wut? Certainly it's becoming more frequent as 'we' 'choose' (quotes for added drama) increasingly unsuitable Presidents.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:54 pm Right now, Biden is the most dangerous person on the planet. Between being a belligerent, egotistical cunt & a senile imbecile the dumb bastard (& General Milley) is going to drop us all into WW3. At least all the other major players are predictable.
Some chap (Matt Taibbi) is being grilled by congress over the Twitter files. The Dems are annoyed that all of their "secret" backroom manipulations are being revealed to the world. Like the embedded FBI agents effectively running Twitter as a propaganda machine for the left or the "Russia collusion" story invented by Hilary Clinton et. al.

On the day he was due to testify, the IRS inexplicably TURNED UP AT HIS HOUSE for no good reason. Clearly someone thought it was a good idea to remind this journalist who he is fucking with.

All it has done is shown more partisan behaviour where the mechanisms of public office are being weaponised by the left.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:37 am Is this sort of President-talk worrying or chest-beating for the dull masses or wut? Certainly it's becoming more frequent as 'we' 'choose' (quotes for added drama) increasingly unsuitable Presidents.
It does seem like a constant one upmanship battle of "who can be the biggest macho dick". Speaks volumes on the American psyche really.