Should America grow up and seriously restrict gun use/ownership?

Current affairs, Politics, News.

Should America restrict gun use?

Yes
21%
No
21%
Also yes because for fucks sake
46%
I live in the redneck territories of Kent and Essex and think we need more guns.
13%

Total votes: 24

Hoonercat

Re: Should America grow up and seriously restrict gun use/ownership?

Post by Hoonercat »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:30 am
Greenman wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:41 am
Potter wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:35 am

Lets run with it then, so if I was, but don’t do it any more, then I’d still claim the moral high ground arguing substance misuse with a bloke that has a current substance misuse problem whilst he works in schools.
Indeed, i'm not hiding it, it's just weed innit, plus i am not putting other people down for using alcohol, which imo is a lot worse than weed.

I just thought putting people down who use alcohol was a bit rich coming from someone who used to use class A's, stop calling the kettle black and all that!
I’m doing it for effect.

Arguing to ban guns or alcohol from decent law abiding people is ridiculous, not doable and insulting.

I was hoping that by using alcohol as the protagonist you’d see the absurdity, but perhaps it was too abstract.
The thread isn't about banning guns, it's about restricting them.

This makes interesting reading into Americans views on guns, some polls going back as far as 1990.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

The trend is that people do want stricter gun laws, with universal background checks getting overwhelming support, as well as all gun purchase being registered with the police. Things get a bit muddier when it comes to bans though, especially handguns.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Hoonercat wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:30 pm
The thread isn't about banning guns, it's about restricting them.

This makes interesting reading into Americans views on guns, some polls going back as far as 1990.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1645/guns.aspx

The trend is that people do want stricter gun laws, with universal background checks getting overwhelming support, as well as all gun purchase being registered with the police. Things get a bit muddier when it comes to bans though, especially handguns.
A quick look suggests that the people that don't own guns want tighter restrictions, no surprises.

FWIW I have an issue with dickheads and guns, go to any gun shop or even an air rifle shop and you'll find fat men wearing Combat 95s (army uniform) standing around talking about breeding lizards, they're morons, but to be fair the average bloke buying loads of booze every weekend is a moron, let him loose with a gun and he'd probably murder himself by accident.

Anyone that wants a military looking gun over 10yrs old should be castrated.

But in America there is a constitution that allows people to bear arms, deciding who can and can't do that is wrong, it's a fundamental cornerstone of the country they built. And when 75,000 of them die every year from opiate overdoses and millions are affected by alcohol consumption, then it's little more than emotional wank to get het up about guns and not the other stuff.

If you want to actually save lives and not just virtue signal or froth like a Facebook Karen, then ban smoking, alcohol and obesity - then go after the less dangerous stuff.
porter_jamie

Post by porter_jamie »

And car accidents
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

porter_jamie wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:48 pm And car accidents
Yes, let's ban them too.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:19 pm
Yes, let's ban them too.
Certainly ban the car deliberates.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:22 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:19 pm
Yes, let's ban them too.
Certainly ban the car deliberates.
Ban them all, including the single vehicle hole in the hedge bike ones.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:30 am I vote "no".

First off there's no such category as "assault weapon". It's a term invented by people who don't want the general populace to be able to defend themselves with any sort of proficiency. I believe the correct "woke" attitude is if you're being robbed by a gang at gunpoint, just suck it up and think of the poor disadvantaged criminals. You deserve to die.

<edit> cross post. My comment is not aimed at you @ZRX61
The cops refer to their AR15's as defensive weapons.

What part of your post did you think might be aimed at me?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I find it laughable that some people think gun ownership in the US isn't restricted. Fucking idiots who think anyone can walk into a store & buy a gun like people buy a loaf of bread.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:44 am
Docca wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:01 am Cars are designed to be driven and get people from A to B

Drugs are designed to provide a degree of escapism and, if moderates, could be even safer.

Remind me again of the sole purpose of guns, assault or otherwise?
The sole purpose of alcohol is to disrupt the normal functioning of your brain. If you need alcohol to escape from life then you need to make some different decisions.

The sole purpose of guns is to shoot bullets out. They’ll only go where you point them.
That’s a terrible argument. You don’t need alcohol, but should you want to have alcohol- then for the most part you’ll appreciate the effects it has.

Remind me why you need a gun? Even occasionally?
Docca

Post by Docca »

Mussels wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:32 am
Docca wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:01 am Cars are designed to be driven and get people from A to B

Drugs are designed to provide a degree of escapism and, if moderates, could be even safer.

Remind me again of the sole purpose of guns, assault or otherwise?
I would think in Alaska many people consider a rifle a more essential tool than a car and shooting people won't factor into it.
Many people have an unhealthy obsession with guns, they are glorified and give angry people a feeling of power. Most countries restrict ownership but it's a bit late for that in the States so a multi disciplinary approach is probably required, they managed it with tabacco so it can be done but only if it has enough public support.

Yes, I imagine there are exceptions. Such as if you live near a bear/somewhere super remote.

Down town Wokingham high street though?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:19 pm Anyone that wants a military looking gun over 10yrs old should be castrated.
What's a "military looking gun"? Do you mean they have black plastic bits on them? Do you mean something that *looks* like an M16? You're upset by the aesthetics?

Is this what you mean?

or how about these?

what about this one?

Here's a clue:
The 12 rifles in the first two pics actually ARE military rifles. The *evil black plastic thing* is NOT a military rifle.. altho it looks like it might be. & it's also something I have no interest in owning. If some pillock was approaching me with the intent to do me harm, any of the 12 I own would take him out before he was close enough to shoot me... by at least 1/2 mile.

The deal is rifles have ALWAYS *looked like" military rifles. How would you suggest you make one "not military looking"?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Docca wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:19 pm Yes, I imagine there are exceptions. Such as if you live near a bear/somewhere super remote.

Down town Wokingham high street though?
Maybe train the bears that wander around town here to stay away from homes? Los Angeles has Mountain Lions, Bears & Coyotes...You just made an exception for the 10million people in LA County to have firearms. :)
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:02 pm
The cops refer to their AR15's as defensive weapons.

What part of your post did you think might be aimed at me?
Oh it was just because my post came right after yours and I was criticising the use of the term "assault weapon" which you also (correctly!) referred to.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Must admit, I do like the look of that plastic Ar-15. It just shouts "fuck off".

Appreciate guns are not for "show" unless you're a police officer in all that "fuck you" black SWAT gear they wear these days.
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:41 pm Must admit, I do like the look of that plastic Ar-15. It just shouts "fuck off".

Appreciate guns are not for "show" unless you're a police officer in all that "fuck you" black SWAT gear they wear these days.
To me, AR15's look like a poor mans, smaller version of a FAL... (which sell for STUPID money here, mate has one, former pongo). I'd quite like an FN, but the earlier Model 49.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

All this said, I did like the feel of shooting off a few rounds of an AK47 ...
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

ZRX61 wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:21 pm The *evil black plastic thing* is NOT a military rifle
Looks like a pistol to me, what with it having a brace instead of a stock, but I admit I haven't been keeping up with how the ATF have been dicking around with that classification.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Docca wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:16 pm Remind me why you need a gun? Even occasionally?
You know that peace you achieve, sitting in a nice worn comfy wingback chair, safe in your man cave, glass of Blanton's in one hand, a fine first edition book or a big fat cigar in the other?
Well others get that same feeling at the shooting range, shooting fast, shooting long, shooting consistently, or out hunting rabbits, or shooting little clay discs out of the air.

I know it's a foreign concept to you, but either way it doesn't make it any less true, for every nutter with a gun there are many many more responsible gun owners.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:16 pm
Looks like a pistol to me, what with it having a brace instead of a stock, but I admit I haven't been keeping up with how the ATF have been dicking around with that classification.
It may well be, I don't take much, if any, notice of AR15 stuff... altho somewhere I may have some 5.56mm sabot rounds. I remember being given them just not sure what I did with them
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

MrLongbeard wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:21 pm You know that peace you achieve, sitting in a nice worn comfy wingback chair, safe in your man cave, glass of Blanton's in one hand, a fine first edition book or a big fat cigar in the other?
Well others get that same feeling at the shooting range, shooting fast, shooting long, shooting consistently, or out hunting rabbits, or shooting little clay discs out of the air.

I know it's a foreign concept to you, but either way it doesn't make it any less true, for every nutter with a gun there are many many more responsible gun owners.
They're a lot easier to hit if you wait until they land.