Online competitions for cars, bikes and tech goodies.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mussels

Re: Online competitions for cars, bikes and tech goodies.

Post by Mussels »

Having lived the wrong side of a part-time Cornish ferry it gets irritating quickly, no evenings in town as missing the last ferry means a very expensive cab ride home. That ferry is a £10 return each time you take the car over, you'd probaby have your own boat but relying on that has it's own issues.
Location, location, location. I suspect it is in a raffle because the location makes it unsellable at the price they think it's worth.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

To be fair though, for a 10 quid entry fee I'm happy to take a massive hit on the price of the house :lol:

Still not entering mind you.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:23 pm Having lived the wrong side of a part-time Cornish ferry it gets irritating quickly, no evenings in town as missing the last ferry means a very expensive cab ride home. That ferry is a £10 return each time you take the car over, you'd probaby have your own boat but relying on that has it's own issues.
Location, location, location. I suspect it is in a raffle because the location makes it unsellable at the price they think it's worth.
The house is on the wrong side of the river for Fowey town, so you'd have to either risk the ferry times or head to Liskeard or Bodmin for any sort of (semi) civilisation.

It would sell cheap though, and like Dazzle says for a tenner it's worth the pay back, but wouldn't you get CGT on competition win sales?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

"My free money is not enough free money!"
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:47 pm "My free money is not enough free money!"
Quite.

It's hardly the end of the world, but it might not be the dream you expected.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:21 pm Previous draw entries didn't have the VW bus sweetener.

Win it, win a massive mill stone the previous owner couldn't shift either!
It'll owe you a tenner and you can knock it way under market value if you want! Or there's a massive rental income but i'd probably put it on a film location set rental website. Sort of place they lap up for tv dramas.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Taipan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:18 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:21 pm Previous draw entries didn't have the VW bus sweetener.

It'll owe you a tenner and you can knock it way under market value if you want! Or there's a massive rental income but i'd probably put it on a film location set rental website. Sort of place they lap up for tv dramas.
If I'd have gambled a tenner and won then It would owe me 4.5 million and I'd feel ripped off if it could only fetch 3.
Imagine going down William Hill and being told your winning slip isn't worth what it says on the front.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I think you'd be exemplifying the phrase "don't look a gift horse..." in that situation :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:21 pm If I'd have gambled a tenner and won then It would owe me 4.5 million and I'd feel ripped off if it could only fetch 3.
Imagine going down William Hill and being told your winning slip isn't worth what it says on the front.
You're gambling to win a house not £4.5 mil, if you want to gamble on winning the money buy a lottery ticket.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:21 pm
Taipan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:18 pm

If I'd have gambled a tenner and won then It would owe me 4.5 million and I'd feel ripped off if it could only fetch 3.
I'm guessing you're not a businessman? I'm not either, but I know realising, or liquidating, an asset of any type will give you a pound you can go to work with. I'd drop a £ 5 million down to a workable £4mil and buy garages, 1 or 2 bed flats, or whatever bought in a ready, sustainable income. Waiting for top dollar for anything it never a good way to go IMO. But then I haemorrhage money on motorbikes, so am probably best ignored! :D
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

From what I can work out, flogging this house would attract CGT as mooted by Iccy. So you'd be left with a paltry couple of mil. Hardly even worth it! ;)
cheb

Post by cheb »

You could make it your main residence and then sell it six months(?) later and not get stung for CGT. You'd have to have the morals of an MP to do this and you be personally responsible for causing the middle classes to have to use food banks.

I'm vaguely tempted by it, ferries hold no fear for me, it'd be the tourists that would grate most.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Top Bombing! :thumbup:

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'd be VERY curious to see the registration of that 690. It's running R forks or yokes, which is pretty unusual.

I only know of 1 person who's done it on a non-R.... It was me lol. That's not to say someone else couldn't... but it's not a common thing
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:24 am I'd be VERY curious to see the registration of that 690. It's running R forks or yokes, which is pretty unusual.

I only know of 1 person who's done it on a non-R.... It was me lol. That's not to say someone else couldn't... but it's not a common thing
Is it your old bike?

https://www.revcomps.com/product/2016-k ... 1999-tkts/
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Someone pass me the eye bleach :silent: :silent: :silent:

https://www.revcomps.com/product/2011-t ... iple-1000/

They've right royally fired the carbon tat cannon at that
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:53 am
weeksy wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:24 am I'd be VERY curious to see the registration of that 690. It's running R forks or yokes, which is pretty unusual.

Is it your old bike?

https://www.revcomps.com/product/2016-k ... 1999-tkts/
Can't be - the plate is white backed!!! :angelic-green:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Taipan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:08 am I'd be straight onto locations direct if I won this! Amazing place!

https://omaze.co.uk/pages/cornwall-ii?u ... 7081127548

They've released some approximate running costs...

Omaze wrote:

With furnishings included, no stamp duty to pay, no mortgage to cover and £100,000 in cash to get you settled in, we’ve taken care of all the details to make sure you can enjoy all the delights Cornwall has to offer in style.

There are a few running costs along the way when it comes to owning any property. We’ve listed the estimated running costs for the Cornwall House (2023) as accurately as possible below, with an estimated overall running cost of roughly £1,500 per month based on:

Electricity: £450 (varies with season)
Water: £96
Window cleaner: £185
Gardner: £400
Council tax: £354

There are optional extras — broadband, electrical safety reports and various annual servicing charges — which would be an additional ~£180 per month, should the winner choose to opt in.

But moving into this outstanding home is just one of the options open to our Grand Prize Winner. If you’re the lucky winner, you can decide between Moving In, Renting Out Or Selling Up.

Whether you choose the long-term rental option, with an estimated monthly value of between £5,000 and £7,000 per month, or a managed short-term let that allows you on-demand access to a waterfront oasis, and an income of up to £14,000 a week during peak seasons, you’re set to start living life on the coast.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Track day Porsche! Currently massively undersold. :thumbup:

https://www.clickcompetitions.co.uk/competition/gt32k/