In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
DefTrap

Re: In todays news...

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:35 am Uganda is about to pass a law that jails people simply for being considered gay, they don’t have to be in a relationship or even have had any kind of physical contact with anyone, they just have to be considered gay, and the government are urging family, friends and neighbours to turn on them and report them so that they can be taken away and imprisoned.
They’re not the only African country doing this.

This is actual 1930s Nazi narrative.
I’ll await the outrage from the forum Garys.
Thanks for the announcement.

I can prepare my special Marxist frown for whenever Uganda is mentioned. I'm also readying my FB thumbnail to show solidarity with the Ugandan-probably-gays and am considering registering my displeasure on a poll.

Presumably the Tory's will be having a party because they're well into this sort of stuff. It's getting a bit confusing now.

Do I still have to pay my TV licence? It feels like maybe I shouldn't.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:30 am

I can prepare my special Marxist frown for whenever Uganda is mentioned. I'm also readying my FB thumbnail to show solidarity with the Ugandan-probably-gays and am considering registering my displeasure on a poll.

Presumably the Tory's will be having a party because they're well into this sort of stuff. It's getting a bit confusing now.

I think even the Garys of RTTL are going to struggle to pin this atrocity on the UK Tory party.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:35 am Uganda is about to pass a law that jails people simply for being considered gay, they don’t have to be in a relationship or even have had any kind of physical contact with anyone, they just have to be considered gay, and the government are urging family, friends and neighbours to turn on them and report them so that they can be taken away and imprisoned.

I don’t know what a Gary is, but I’m probably one, going by the usual path of forum chats. I’m usually the bad thing!

It sounds like an outrageous law. I don’t have much spare capacity to be personally outraged by oppressive laws in bad countries.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Not really sure where you're going with this, old bean. Are we (the forum Garys) supposed to sit back and applaud or register our outrage? And I notice that you are carefully not taking a position on this. Is this for fear of being aligned with the forum Garys? I do think we should be told...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I just wonder about things.
Like why there was such outrage that a gay woman got made to take her hat off in Qatar when she went through a security scanner, but no real noise at all about what’s happening in Africa, even though it’s many, many degrees worse.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:34 am
DefTrap wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:30 am

I think even the Garys of RTTL are going to struggle to pin this atrocity on the UK Tory party.
Uganda use to be part of the British Empire and gained independence in 1962. The PM at the time was Harold Macmillan, a Tory. Therefore it's a problem created by the Torries back then and by extension is the fault of the current governement.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:48 am I just wonder about things.
Like why there was such outrage that a gay woman got made to take her hat off in Qatar when she went through a security scanner, but no real noise at all about what’s happening in Africa, even though it’s many, many degrees worse.
Or some horrible Marxists pushed a statue of a slave-trader that nobody previously cared about in the river. Front page news! Look at their shoes!
But nobody is monitoring the statue-status of other right-wing fascist heroes around the world, for parity of outrage.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:48 am I just wonder about things.
I can't speak for the other forum Garys, but my view is that if you wear an overtly LGBQTwhatever piece of clothing in a country that has an oppressive regime in which such activities are outlawed, then being asked to remove said item of clothing means you got off pretty lightly. And such an action is somewhere on the spectrum between silly and downright provocative.

As for the Uganda law, that is a quantum level of difference and frankly I'm surprised you even mentioned the two in the same sentence.

Having said that, Uganda's rulers have form in this regard. Think Idi Amin.
Ant

Post by Ant »

The lefty Gary's would rather mouth foam over trivial things, rather that something so barbaric as that.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I think it shows that people are happy being led by the nose by the media, usually social media like Twitter and Youtube.
If it got politically charged then you'd get the Gammons screeching about traditional family values, and the Garys hopping about like gibbons shaming the Torys as pro-Nazis.

None of them actually care a fig about the people on the end of it.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Potter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:18 pm I think it shows that people are happy being led by the nose by the media, usually social media like Twitter and Youtube.
If it got politically charged then you'd get the Gammons screeching about traditional family values, and the Garys hopping about like gibbons shaming the Torys as pro-Nazis.

I think you find a lot do, you can't make a sweeping generalisation like that, it's like me blaming everything on the tories just because they are tories, it's not that black and white!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I'm sort of hoping "being a Gary" come into popular usage.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Greenman wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 2:13 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:18 pm I think it shows that people are happy being led by the nose by the media, usually social media like Twitter and Youtube.

I think you find a lot do, you can't make a sweeping generalisation like that, it's like me blaming everything on the tories just because they are tories, it's not that black and white!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I think it shows you enjoy going on fishing expeditions.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

This must have taken an incredible level of incompetence.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038617
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 6:14 pm This must have taken an incredible level of incompetence.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-65038617
Is that the SNP headquarters?
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Are the Gammons not the same people as the Garys?
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

JackyJoll wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:57 pm

Are the Gammons not the same people as the Garys?
Do keep up at the back. ;)
Garys (Garies?) think every illegal immigrant is a genuine asylum seeker and the Tory government is ethnic cleansing.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mussels wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 8:06 pm Do keep up at the back. ;)
Garys (Garies?) think every illegal immigrant is a genuine asylum seeker and the Tory government is ethnic cleansing.
We are often told migration is a net benefit. Benefit to who you might ask. Well here's a nice little conspiracy theory for you:

Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Screwdriver wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:15 am
We are often told migration is a net benefit. Benefit to who you might ask. Well here's a nice little conspiracy theory for you:

That's conspiracy central.

Dutch farmers are protesting because the Dutch government have set limits on nitrogen emissions. Part of the reduction mechanism is to reduce animal herds. According to your video it's got fuck all to do with emissions and everything to do with a land grab so that a giant city can be built. Have I got that right?