Leaking fuel need help!

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
StuartP123

Leaking fuel need help!

Post by StuartP123 »

I've got an 2006 honda cbr125r. This is my first bike and so only have the most basic knowledge of maintenance.

I was riding along and after letting go of the acceleration the revs stayed at about 4000. After around 30 seconds of continued riding the engine cut out. I pulled over and it wouldn't even attempt to start.

After about 20 minutes the engine would attempt to start but couldn't tick over. I took the fuel tank off and when attempting to start the engine there was fuel pissing out of this small hole. I thought this was where the mixture screw goes in. I went back down the road looking for it but had no luck so I purchased one. Only after realising the hole doesnt even have a thread for it to connect with the screw and so I dont believe it is the screw thats missing.

I cant take it to a mechanic because it won't start so does anyone have any ideas?

Here is a link to download a picture of the hole as the file was too large to upload:
https://we.tl/t-8wIm9B8djR

Thank you!
Screwdriver

Re: Leaking fuel need help!

Post by Screwdriver »

Many carburettors have features which allow cross drilling during manufacture so they can drill out a chamber at right angles. They are typically then plugged with an interference fit brass plug which seals the access hole. Might be that...
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
Plato
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Use Flickr or Imgur to host the pics
StuartP123

Post by StuartP123 »

Heres a link I just uploaded:

Let me know if that doesn't work.
StuartP123

Post by StuartP123 »

The hole is slightly pertruding from the carb and so I dont believe it was drilled as part of a fix.
maccecht

Post by maccecht »

As noted sounds like stuck float needle try tapping the carb with a screwdriver handle see if it dislodges the offending blockage.
ogri

Post by ogri »

Carb bike do not like the new fuels unless you use stabilzer every time you fill up or leave the bike for a few days between rides.
If you do not have fuel injection, strongly suggest that if you do not not use the bike at least every other day, when arriving home, turn the fuel tap off and let the engine run dry of fuel and die before turning off the the engine. this will make starting next time a longer process, ie filling floast bowl with fuel; before engine starts, but prevent the mordern (shite) fuel blockin all the jets in your carb every time!
Ignorance is bliss
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

What hokum is this?

I've not used my bike for a month, I guarantee if I try it tomorrow it'll start first time. I generally don't start it for a good 4 months over the winter - again, other than a boost for the battery maybe, no problem.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:06 am What hokum is this?

I've not used my bike for a month, I guarantee if I try it tomorrow it'll start first time. I generally don't start it for a good 4 months over the winter - again, other than a boost for the battery maybe, no problem.
Recently started my late FiLs (carb) CBR600. It had been sat for three years and had three year old petrol in it...literally just needed a new battery and it started like had been parked yesterday.

Even his 1969 Triumph started up OK on three year old petrol with a bit of effort.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Heated garage indeed. Mine are kept in an old barn with 'natural ventilation'. Edit: I see what you mean though, maybe.

Anyway, the OPs issue is most likely to be stuck floats and flooding.
Bwana

Post by Bwana »

Did it get sorted?

On occasion I've been able to "fix" such problems without removing and stripping the carb. Be cautious about the agents you select for this process as the o-rings and gaskets in carbs may not be real happy about coming into contact with some of them.

If the float bowl has a drain, open it and let all the fuel run out into a container at the other end of the drain tube. Close it. If your bike isn't fitted with a float bowl drain tap, lay the bike on it on its side to drain the carb.

Being certain the petcock is off, disconnect the fuel line at the tank. Find a funnel or suitable alternative (I use catheter tipped syringes - asking a vet that likes motorbikes may be all you need to source one). Use that to pour your cleaner into the carb. Let it stand for several days, check to make sure it is still topped off. Pull the overflow hose out from the place where it lives (take note of the routing) so you an tie it up to over fill the carb. Wherever you tie it up is where the fluid level inside the carb will go before it starts flowing out of the overflow tube. Reroute that hose before filling the carb up.

Bear in mind you don't want it so high that petrol goes down the throat of the carb and into the engine as that will mean you've got other shit to take care of before attempting to start it. Like changing your now diluted oil and/or removing the spark plug from your hydraulically locked cylinder.

After you've let it stand a few days, route the overflow tubing where it is supposed to be and drain the float bowl again. Connect the fuel line, turn on the tap, and see what happens.

My personal favorite carb stip avoidance brew is Techron. It's the fuel additive used in Chevron petrol on this side of the pond. I've avoided a few teardowns with this method. Once you've got everything done as described above and before attempting to start the bike It isn't a bad idea to open the tap, fill the float bowl, close the tap, and then drain the float bowl again to rinse it out. Collect the fluid in a container and look for debris.