In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr Moofo

Re: In todays news...

Post by Mr Moofo »

Ant wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:23 pm The left will now be out smashing shop fronts in and pulling statues down over Gary's cold.
Do you ever bore yourself with your inane comments?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:53 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:23 pm The left will now be out smashing shop fronts in and pulling statues down over Gary's cold.
You have an opinion and I have one too, both can be different and that's ok as we live in a democracy.
Awesome :thumbup:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Ideas to get people back into the office:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64914894
They would need to do a bit better than that to get me to willingly make a 4 hour round trip.
I wonder what the tax position is on car charging and how long before HMRC want their cut at full public charger rates, I suspect it is being quietly ignored until it gets popular enough.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:36 pm Ideas to get people back into the office:
They would need to do a bit better than that to get me to willingly make a 4 hour round trip.
I wonder what the tax position is on car charging and how long before HMRC want their cut at full public charger rates, I suspect it is being quietly ignored until it gets popular enough.
The thing that interests me most is that although they seem desperate to entice people back to the office, nobody wants to talk about why?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:36 pm Ideas to get people back into the office:
I was losing interest until the beer taps :D
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Try a 100% pay award and I'll consider it
Count Steer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:42 pm The thing that interests me most is that although they seem desperate to entice people back to the office, nobody wants to talk about why?
Gotta keep Starbucks, Pret, Subway open and profitable so they can pay share holders their dividends
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:14 pm Try a 100% pay award and I'll consider it
I've weighed it up, and, nah even that wouldn't get me back in the office 5 days a week
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:17 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:14 pm Try a 100% pay award and I'll consider it
I've weighed it up, and, nah even that wouldn't get me back in the office 5 days a week
Me neither :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:14 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 5:42 pm The thing that interests me most is that although they seem desperate to entice people back to the office, nobody wants to talk about why?
Gotta keep Starbucks, Pret, Subway open and profitable so they can pay share holders their dividends
Nope. Doesn't fly for me. Why would say, an IT company or a bank care about coffee shops etc? They wouldn't. There's more to it than that.
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Well, big companies do have large amounts of office space sitting empty with everyone WFH, and I imagine they're either tied into long term contracts on it or some will own it outright. It's also down to control and trust. Companies want to see bums on seats just to be sure that workers are actually doing their jobs and not goofing off.

I know - who'd a thunk it?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:36 pm
Nope. Doesn't fly for me. Why would say, an IT company or a bank care about coffee shops etc? They wouldn't. There's more to it than that.
The coffee shops could well be customers of IT companies and banks services.
irie

Post by irie »

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/2023 ... cial-times
UBS will take over Credit Suisse, Swiss authorities said on Sunday, in a deal to combine Switzerland's top two banks designed to contain a widening crisis of confidence in global finance.

The deal includes 100 billion Swiss francs ($108 billion) in liquidity assistance for UBS and Credit Suisse from the Swiss central bank. A price wasn't given.
100 billion Swiss francs! Image

Edit: Press conference talking this up as confirmation of Swiss banking strength and prudence! :lol:
Last edited by irie on Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:59 pm Well, big companies do have large amounts of office space sitting empty with everyone WFH, and I imagine they're either tied into long term contracts on it or some will own it outright. It's also down to control and trust. Companies want to see bums on seats just to be sure that workers are actually doing their jobs and not goofing off.

Sheer need to be in control probably covers some of it too. My old bunch wanted people in "just because". Nothing to do with the owner being a control freak I'm sure :lol:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:37 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:59 pm Well, big companies do have large amounts of office space sitting empty with everyone WFH, and I imagine they're either tied into long term contracts on it or some will own it outright. It's also down to control and trust. Companies want to see bums on seats just to be sure that workers are actually doing their jobs and not goofing off.

Sheer need to be in control probably covers some of it too. My old bunch wanted people in "just because". Nothing to do with the owner being a control freak I'm sure :lol:
Absolutely - my old boss was like that, as well. An attitude that fosters the practice of presenteeism...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

irie wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:32 pm https://www.france24.com/en/europe/2023 ... cial-times
UBS will take over Credit Suisse, Swiss authorities said on Sunday, in a deal to combine Switzerland's top two banks designed to contain a widening crisis of confidence in global finance.

The deal includes 100 billion Swiss francs ($108 billion) in liquidity assistance for UBS and Credit Suisse from the Swiss central bank. A price wasn't given.
100 billion Swiss francs! Image

Edit: Press conference talking this up as confirmation of Swiss banking strength and prudence! :lol:
Two thoughts spring to mind.

UBS must now be FAR too big to fail. The Swiss government will be fucked if that goes tits up.

$100 + billion liquidity needed? FFS what were the gnomes of Zurich up to?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Ant wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:57 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:53 pm
You have an opinion and I have one too, both can be different and that's ok as we live in a democracy.
I just repeat the same old inane drivel, yet fail to cite anything to support my stance, other that my mates down the pub
Two can play at that.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Ant wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:12 pm

Providing free food and drink in the office doesn't really support local food and drink companies very much.
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:36 pm Nope. Doesn't fly for me. Why would say, an IT company or a bank care about coffee shops etc? They wouldn't. There's more to it than that.
Ah now then, my reasoning was for why nanny state would prefer workers being at their place of employ, why companies want bums on seats could be many fold, not in least because that's how it was always done.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:45 pm
Ant wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 7:12 pm

Providing free food and drink in the office doesn't really support local food and drink companies very much.
What I mean is, the coffee shop will be a customer of the bank as it uses banking services as a business, that's business, money. Same with the IT company, it services for the tills, website etc.