In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Hoonercat

Re: In todays news...

Post by Hoonercat »

Sentenced to 8.5 years for false rape allegations. This is link is from before sentencing, thought it was worth posting as it shows the effect it had on the lives of those accused.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-64943465
Three men tried to take their own lives after being falsely accused of rape and trafficking, a court has heard.
Eleanor Williams accused the men of attacking her and posted on Facebook in May 2020 that she was the victim of an Asian grooming gang.
Surprised she wasn't charged with a racially motivated crime, as her claims were against Asian 'traffickers' (although one turned out to be a white man that she had never met, only chatted to online). She even created fake social media accounts and sent herself messages claiming they were from her 'abusers'.
Slutty white English trash.jpg
Slutty white English trash.jpg (205.09 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

What worries me most is why someone was charged, the police and CPS both decided he was guilty without any corroborating evidence.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Hoonercat wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:57 am Sentenced to 8.5 years for false rape allegations. This is link is from before sentencing, thought it was worth posting as it shows the effect it had on the lives of those accused.

Three men tried to take their own lives after being falsely accused of rape and trafficking, a court has heard.
Eleanor Williams accused the men of attacking her and posted on Facebook in May 2020 that she was the victim of an Asian grooming gang.
Surprised she wasn't charged with a racially motivated crime, as her claims were against Asian 'traffickers' (although one turned out to be a white man that she had never met, only chatted to online). She even created fake social media accounts and sent herself messages claiming they were from her 'abusers'.

Some people are seriously fucked in the head!
Ant

Post by Ant »

Greenman wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:00 am
Hoonercat wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:57 am Sentenced to 8.5 years for false rape allegations. This is link is from before sentencing, thought it was worth posting as it shows the effect it had on the lives of those accused.

Some people are seriously fucked in the head!
And it turns out she wasn't - or anywhere else.....
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:39 pm
DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:22 pm
irie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:45 pm Seems that President Macron's "cohabitation" Gallic chicken is finally coming to roost ...

https://www.politico.eu/article/macron- ... l-setback/

I don't think this is a surprise - the French system is overly generous compared to other similarly wealthy EU nations, and the money simply isn't there. Absolutely this is shit if you're knocking-on to retirement ....
While he's there he probably needs to address similarly generous unemployment benefits, amongst others, because that seems similarly unaffordable. But the pensions thing is potentially crippling and, a bit like the UK, this is probably only step one of further changes.
It's worth noting that the French retirement age is currently 62. That's 4 years less than the uk. Even the proposed retirement age is 'only' 64. And the French on average live 2 years longer than us Brits, so it's clear to impartial observers that something needs to change in the French system. And just to twist the knife, the French state pension is roughly 50% higher than that in the UK.
Sorry to be pedantic, but there is no age limit for retirement. Only an age when you can claim state pension.

Most folk have other plans as well as the state funding.
I retired at 54.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Mussels wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:58 am What worries me most is why someone was charged, the police and CPS both decided he was guilty without any corroborating evidence.
According to another BBC article
The force said it was unable to comment so as "to not taint any future potential proceedings".
It does come across as just wanting to be seen to do something and caving in to public pressure. Her claims that she'd been abused since the age of 12, and that other girls in the town were being trafficked, led to protests from locals and Tommy Robinson made an appearance, while the local rag was insinuating that the police were not doing enough. No doubt he'll have his day in court with the police and we'll all hear how 'lessons have been learnt'.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Ant wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:31 am Image

First Linekar makes anti semitic comments, now distasteful comments are made towards Ukrainian women who's men are at home fighting a war.

Hardly distasteful, crass certainly, but not more than that.

Probably no worse than saying 'I've had her' frequently about random females.
Ant

Post by Ant »

cheb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:02 pm
Ant wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:31 am Image

First Linekar makes anti semitic comments, now distasteful comments are made towards Ukrainian women who's men are at home fighting a war.

Hardly distasteful, crass certainly, but not more than that.
Well some may not agree.
cheb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:02 pm Probably no worse than saying 'I've had her' frequently about random females.
The plot thickens, so when did he say that?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 am

I don't think this is a surprise - the French system is overly generous compared to other similarly wealthy EU nations, and the money simply isn't there. Absolutely this is shit if you're knocking-on to retirement ....
While he's there he probably needs to address similarly generous unemployment benefits, amongst others, because that seems similarly unaffordable. But the pensions thing is potentially crippling and, a bit like the UK, this is probably only step one of further changes.
It's worth noting that the French retirement age is currently 62. That's 4 years less than the uk. Even the proposed retirement age is 'only' 64. And the French on average live 2 years longer than us Brits, so it's clear to impartial observers that something needs to change in the French system. And just to twist the knife, the French state pension is roughly 50% higher than that in the UK.
Sorry to be pedantic, but there is no age limit for retirement. Only an age when you can claim state pension.

I retired at 54.
Some people haven't organised anything cos they didn't think they'd get old enough to worry about retirement!!! :o

I've suddenly realised that, since I haven't done anything really stupid till now, and the average age the women in my family reach is about 95, maybe I should think about sorting something out!

Mind you, luckily, I like what I do and where I work, so I suspect I'll be working past retirement - unless I find the pot of gold at the end of a rainbow!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:22 am

I retired at 54.
Quite right - I should have said 'state pension age' rather than 'retirement age'.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Blimey, imagine burying one of your loved ones and this unfolds in front of you...https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-64543932

"Grieving families witnessed a mass brawl at a cemetery in Swansea..."

Go steady though, Gary Lineker has announced that anyone criticising these kind and peaceful people are clearly using language from 1930's Germany.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:18 am Blimey, imagine burying one of your loved ones and this unfolds in front of you...https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-64543932

Go steady though, Gary Lineker has announced that anyone criticising these kind and peaceful people are clearly using language from 1930's Germany.

Gary has carte blanche to publicly announce anyone and everyone is "a little bit on the Nazi side". So suck it up buttercups.

I reckon Matt le Tissier is well up for a tweet about gypsies
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Ant wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:36 pm
cheb wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 1:02 pm Probably no worse than saying 'I've had her' frequently about random females.
The plot thickens, so when did he say that?
After he had ‘em.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Potter wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 3:18 am Blimey, imagine burying one of your loved ones and this unfolds in front of you...https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-64543932

Pretty standard 🥧🔑 event to be fair....
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Shines a light on our weak Pacific trade deals.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

demographic wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:45 pm Shines a light on our weak Pacific trade deals.
I don't think the Brexiting was ever really about trade. Or fish or the NHS, come to that.

It was about getting it done, sending them back and defending the statues.

And hasn't it worked out well. :D
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 8:53 pm I don't think the Brexiting was ever really about trade. Or fish or the NHS, come to that.

It was about getting it done, sending them back and defending the statues.

And hasn't it worked out well. :D
I thought it was about Sov Ring Tea but it seems thats not working out either.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:51 pm

Pretty standard 🥧🔑 event to be fair....
I was thinking something along the same lines when I read it.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Will they stop at nothing to silence Lineker?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-65005620
Ant

Post by Ant »

The left will now be out smashing shop fronts in and pulling statues down over Gary's cold.