In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Count Steer

Re: In todays news...

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:25 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:05 pm
irie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:55 pm

It does need to be done (see Deftrap's post), but I expect a repeat of 1995. Who do I think could deliver it? I don't think anyone can, more likely to be indirectly reformed as a result of a French debt crisis.

Edit: as a result of
So, if he is trying to reform it, why do you appear to be so anti? It needs to be done, he is trying to do it. What do you want?
I neither said nor implied that I was "anti", I don't know where you conjured that up from!

What I said was that this is the expected result of cohabitation.
Without 'cohabitation' do you think that French pension reform could be achieved? If you do not want him to 'cohabit', what exactly do you want? :eh:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:37 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:05 pm
So, if he is trying to reform it, why do you appear to be so anti? It needs to be done, he is trying to do it. What do you want?
I neither said nor implied that I was "anti", I don't know where you conjured that up from!

Without 'cohabitation' do you think that French pension reform could be achieved? If you do not want him to 'cohabit', what exactly do you want? :eh:
Without cohabitation I think that French pension reform is possible but unlikely.

With cohabitation almost certainly not.

I do not want anything.

What do you want?
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:25 pm What I said was that this is the expected result of cohabitation.
It's a result of not having an absolute majority. 'Cohabitation' was necessary to form a goverment.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:48 pm

Without cohabitation I think that French pension reform is possible but unlikely.

I do not want anything.

What do you want?
I go back to the beginning. You do not appear to be happy with Macron or what he is trying to do vis a vis the pension system (which you agree needs reform). So, who do you think can do it? If you don't 'want anything' why does it bother you?
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:45 pm Seems that President Macron's "cohabitation" Gallic chicken is finally coming to roost ...

https://www.politico.eu/article/macron- ... l-setback/
Macron invokes nuclear option to force through his pensions reform in huge political setback

French President Emmanuel Macron will bypass parliament to get his flagship reform over the line, risking backlash from politicians and protesters that threatens to wreck his leadership, in what is seen as a defeat for the president.
Just as a reminder, you did post this...so, why?
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:22 pm
irie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:45 pm Seems that President Macron's "cohabitation" Gallic chicken is finally coming to roost ...

https://www.politico.eu/article/macron- ... l-setback/

I don't think this is a surprise - the French system is overly generous compared to other similarly wealthy EU nations, and the money simply isn't there. Absolutely this is shit if you're knocking-on to retirement ....
While he's there he probably needs to address similarly generous unemployment benefits, amongst others, because that seems similarly unaffordable. But the pensions thing is potentially crippling and, a bit like the UK, this is probably only step one of further changes.
They made a bit of a start on the unemployment thing I think. I'm sure it used to be that you could work a 4 or 5 month season and then get 4 or 5 months unemployment at 75% of the wages you earned. I was always amazed at how many people did just work for 4 or 5 months at full pay and idled away the summers !!! It's one of the big reasons that employing people costs so much - employ someone for 10€ an hour* and pay the government in taxes 8,5€ an hour** for that person.

*just a figure to work with - SMIC is more than that!!

** pretty sure it's 8,5, but might be 8!!

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:39 pm It's worth noting that the French retirement age is currently 62. That's 4 years less than the uk. Even the proposed retirement age is 'only' 64. And the French on average live 2 years longer than us Brits, so it's clear to impartial observers that something needs to change in the French system. And just to twist the knife, the French state pension is roughly 50% higher than that in the UK.
I do REALLY need to find out if I can get into the french pension system!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

awkward..

irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:57 pm

I do not want anything.

What do you want?
I go back to the beginning. You do not appear to be happy with Macron or what he is trying to do vis a vis the pension system (which you agree needs reform). So, who do you think can do it? If you don't 'want anything' why does it bother you?
As said before, what Macron is trying to do, as Deftrap says, needs to be done but I don't think it can be done by Macron while he is in cohabitation. It doesn't "bother me", why does this not bothering me bother you? Tell me what would you like me to say and I'll try to oblige.
Last edited by irie on Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
cheb

Post by cheb »

Time for them to elect a Mme. Chaumier, La Dame de Fer?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:17 pm

I do not want anything.

What do you want?
As said before, what Macron is trying to do, as Deftrap says, needs to be done but I don't think it can be done by Macron while he is in cohabitation. It doesn't "bother me", why does this not bothering me bother you? Tell me what would you like me to say and I'll try to oblige.
I agree, it needs to be done and said so, what I don't understand is why you appear to attack him, ie 'his cohabitation chicken is coming home to roost'. I'm sure he wouldn't choose it and would like the presidency and everything below him to be aligned, but it isn't. That's not his fault. So what's he going to do? Resign? Invite someone else to do the job? As far as I can see he's trying to do something that needs to be done within the political framework that exists. Why is this anything to do with anything 'coming home to roost'?
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:33 pm
I agree, it needs to be done and said so, what I don't understand is why you appear to attack him, ie 'his cohabitation chicken is coming home to roost'. I'm sure he wouldn't choose it and would like the presidency and everything below him to be aligned, but it isn't. That's not his fault. So what's he going to do? Resign? Invite someone else to do the job? As far as I can see he's trying to do something that needs to be done within the political framework that exists. Why is this anything to do with anything 'coming home to roost'?
Which questions would you like me to answer and in which order? :lol:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:06 pm

Which questions would you like me to answer and in which order? :lol:
Where you see a question mark (?) that indicates a question. Work back from all the question marks and answer the question contained in that sentence. Rinse and repeat until all questions are answered.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: I neither said nor implied that I was "anti", I don't know where you conjured that up from!
Conjur, infer ... ?
irie wrote: Seems that President Macron's "cohabitation" Gallic chicken is finally coming to roost ...
Collins dictionary, and probably all the others wrote: chickens come home to roost
PHRASE
If bad or wrong things that someone has done in the past have come home to roost, or if their chickens have come home to roost, they are now experiencing the unpleasant effects of these actions.
Obviously a misunderstanding, perhaps be clearer in future?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

First Republic Bank got $30B in deposits from other banks today...
irie

Post by irie »

irie wrote: As said before, what Macron is trying to do, as Deftrap says, needs to be done but I don't think it can be done by Macron while he is in cohabitation. It doesn't "bother me", why does this not bothering me bother you? Tell me what would you like me to say and I'll try to oblige.
I agree, it needs to be done and said so, what I don't understand is why you appear to attack him, ie 'his cohabitation chicken is coming home to roost'.
The use of "Gallic" to describe the chicken coming home to roost was I thought an unsubtle play on words. Repeating what I have already said about Macron would be pointless.

A key point of the post is that judging by earlier similar events, such as in 1995, the impacts on the UK can be quite serious such as the effective closing of ports and airports, and even the channel tunnel, and Easter school holidays are less than 3 weeks away.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:55 am
irie wrote: As said before, what Macron is trying to do, as Deftrap says, needs to be done but I don't think it can be done by Macron while he is in cohabitation. It doesn't "bother me", why does this not bothering me bother you? Tell me what would you like me to say and I'll try to oblige.
I agree, it needs to be done and said so, what I don't understand is why you appear to attack him, ie 'his cohabitation chicken is coming home to roost'.
The use of "Gallic" to describe the chicken coming home to roost was I thought an unsubtle play on words. Repeating what I have already said about Macron would be pointless.

A key point of the post is that judging by earlier similar events, such as in 1995, the impacts on the UK can be quite serious such as the effective closing of ports and airports, and even the channel tunnel, and Easter school holidays are less than 3 weeks away.
Oh, I'm sure it's all going to kick off. Striking, rioting and setting fire to stuff seems to pass as polite discourse in France (here we probably 'chuntered gently' at the equalisation and raising of the pension age). I'm just a bit impressed when a politician sees something that really, really needs to be done (but will be unpopular), says they're going to do something about it...and does it! :lol:
Voltaire
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:29 am
irie wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:55 am

Oh, I'm sure it's all going to kick off. Striking, rioting and setting fire to stuff seems to pass as polite discourse in France (here we probably 'chuntered gently' at the equalisation and raising of the pension age). I'm just a bit impressed when a politician sees something that really, really needs to be done (but will be unpopular), says they're going to do something about it...and does it! :lol:
To be fair, I am impressed that Macron has actually done something. It isn't his usual way.
The retirement age issue was nonsense - the French knew it was nonsense but it is built into their fabric of a relaxed work / life balance.
Avoid France for the next few months
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: I neither said nor implied that I was "anti", I don't know where you conjured that up from!

Actually, we have been told what irie thinks.
irie wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 8:21 pm Both Macron and Scholz are dodgy as fuck. ... Macron is a two faced conniving bastard who will do anything to get reelected next weekend.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

The most impressive thing in Euro politics is the way Giorgia Meloni seems to have confounded critics
Ant

Post by Ant »

First Linekar makes anti semitic comments, now distasteful comments are made towards Ukrainian women who's men are at home fighting a war.