What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
v8-powered

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by v8-powered »

Currently swearing at my laptop!

Got 4 horrible SolidWorks drawings to update and I'm not a CAD driver, but getting fed up waiting for help and the project need them completed ASAP
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Woke up to bright sunshine, wolfed some breakfast and 2 mugs of tea down me, then set up the B&D workbench and track saw in the garden to skim a couple of mm off the end of the piece of birch ply I'm using to construct a computer desk before the weather closes in again.

That was less than 20 minutes ago and the sky is now grey and threatening and the cat is insisting loudly that he wants to come in. Smart cat.

In other news, the van has just sailed through its MoT. This is especially gratifying as an earlier MoT test (at a different station) failed it, saying it needed welding work doing (weakened structure near seat belt mounting point). I couldn't see any such fault, and neither could the examiner that passed it this time.

<edit> And a few minutes later, it's snowing like a good 'un. Ho hum. </edit>
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Got on a train, I'm now sat in the basement of a shop on Great Portland Street.

London Village, it's a nice enough place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:09 pm Got on a train, I'm now sat in the basement of a shop on Great Portland Street.
:thumbup:

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Had my pinny on. :D

Cooking up a vat of lamb/chilli/ginger/chickpea. Needed 1kg of lamb neck fillet. The price :shock: It used to be a cheap cut. Hey ho, at least 6 decent portions. First up with fennel and caraway couscous.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Re-corded a 'vintage*' blind as SFBSS doesn't do gently.
Glossed 7m of quadrant
Had the insurance assessor around first thing to verify the Moho exists
Popped some uPVC trim up and put an ew bet on, 1650 chelt, fils de roi

*Really old but we're not replacing it!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Damaged muscles in my back, it feels like I've been kicked in the kidneys. Totally self inflicted. ☹️
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Woke up to 6 inches - only snow but made me very happy anyway :D :D

Boss has almost broken me and I'm just soooo bloody tired, so I text and said I'd start at 8.30 - not a short day, just a later start! Means I can go for a coffee with some french friends before work if I do that! I was a bit mentally broken cos he has me scheduled for a late start and a later finish on saturday and I'm peeved and way too tired to drive late at night.

Cleared the snow on the path to the office twice!! I reckon there's now been over a foot of snow :D :D qnd it's still falling :D :D

Anyway - managed to deal with work, boss said he's not set the schedule yet and will take into account that I don't feel it's safe to drive late evening!

It's been a weird day as in the last ten days I've done 1.5 days in the office, so I feel like I don't know whats going on!! LOL But I'll get there!!

Had lunch with my aussie mate at the cafe I like - he likes it cos my mate (the manager) is seriously hot, so we both get to admire him! LOL

Then a coffee/lemonade with my favourite driver and now chilling before early to bed! Need to get a better work life balance!! After the winter!! LOL :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Overnight snow :D :D :wub: :wub:

Cleared a path to the office door! Twice :D :D

The terrace of my mates cafe bar is going to need some serious snow clearing tomorrow!! (I'm just glad my boss cleared the rest of the snow outside the office just now, so I don't have to feel guilted into doing it tomorrow!!)

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I've accepted I'm not invincible and got responsible, it's on my mind that I've already outlived my mum's brother who had a heart attack.
The works benefts change window came round and while my life is well insured I realised there's a big gap if I'm incapacitated, I control almost all our finances so if I can't use my bank account we're all a bit screwed.
I've signed up for a will kit, taken enough incapacitation insurance to settle the mortgage (makes car insurance look well cheap) and kicked off a lasting power of attorney.
The LPA is a bit scary but it looks like I can easily block it if someone tries to abuse it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mussels wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:43 pm I've accepted I'm not invincible and got responsible, it's on my mind that I've already outlived my mum's brother who had a heart attack.
The works benefts change window came round and while my life is well insured I realised there's a big gap if I'm incapacitated, I control almost all our finances so if I can't use my bank account we're all a bit screwed.
I've signed up for a will kit, taken enough incapacitation insurance to settle the mortgage (makes car insurance look well cheap) and kicked off a lasting power of attorney.
The LPA is a bit scary but it looks like I can easily block it if someone tries to abuse it.
The last couple of years (and still ongoing) We've had to deal with 3 estates and only one of them had made a will. If folk could only see the mess left behind when a person dies intestate,they'd see making a will as a very positive thing. It can tear families apart.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

We've dealt with both Mrs. D's parents over the last couple of years.

It's when they ask "is it burial or cremation?" and you realise you don't have a scooby doo. I've already had this talk with my parents, who touch wood seem like they'll still be fit and healthy for a good few years yet, and they took it in the right way thankfully. They also made me their executor, shoulda kept schtum :obscene-birdiedoublered:

I'm 38 and I'll be doing my Will soon!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Had fibre installed.
Of course now my slightly iffy network that was working quite well with ADSL is all to cock.
Balls.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:01 pm Had fibre installed.
Of course now my slightly iffy network that was working quite well with ADSL is all to cock.
Balls.
I found that as well, a decent internet connection suddenly showed my 4 year old premium router wasn't as premium as I was lead to believe.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Got home from a night shift (last one for a few days), beautiful morning so why waste it sleeping and some tree's had arrived. So I planted a Mulberry (long term project, they can take 7-10 years before fruiting), a Quince, and two plum trees. I also transplanted a gooseberry bush that Mrs M wanted moving. After that I got the naughty weed killer out and poured chemical death on all the weeds on the front pathway around the house.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:04 pm Got home from a night shift (last one for a few days), beautiful morning so why waste it sleeping and some tree's had arrived. So I planted a Mulberry (long term project, they can take 7-10 years before fruiting), a Quince, and two plum trees. I also transplanted a gooseberry bush that Mrs M wanted moving. After that I got the naughty weed killer out and poured chemical death on all the weeds on the front pathway around the house.
What type of quince did you go for? I keep meaning to buy and plant one. Vranja seems to be the main option.
Voltaire
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:10 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:04 pm Got home from a night shift (last one for a few days), beautiful morning so why waste it sleeping and some tree's had arrived. So I planted a Mulberry (long term project, they can take 7-10 years before fruiting), a Quince, and two plum trees. I also transplanted a gooseberry bush that Mrs M wanted moving. After that I got the naughty weed killer out and poured chemical death on all the weeds on the front pathway around the house.
What type of quince did you go for? I keep meaning to buy and plant one. Vranja seems to be the main option.
This one:

https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/product/r ... ince-tree/

No idea if I'll like them, just seemed a bit different. Though it looks like it'll go well in a crumble recipe if cooked for ages.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:10 pm What type of quince did you go for? I keep meaning to buy and plant one. Vranja seems to be the main option.
Pretty sure I've mentioned this before, probably in this thread, but there are a couple of quince trees in the community orchard a few hundred metres from my house.

Quince on it's own? Meh.

Quince as an Apple pie booster? Revelatory!
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

DefTrap wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 11:01 pm Had fibre installed.
Balls.
I'm switching providors on Monday.Here's hoping it all goes to plan :thumbup:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:15 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:10 pm
This one:

https://www.chrisbowers.co.uk/product/r ... ince-tree/

No idea if I'll like them, just seemed a bit different. Though it looks like it'll go well in a crumble recipe if cooked for ages.
I've mentioned it before but I just simmer them whole, peel and quarter them, then fry them in butter and serve 'em up like a veg with tagine and couscous. They need to be rock hard ones though. The veg stall at the local market sometimes has them but, whatever variety they are, they turn to mush really fast when you simmer them.

Might have to have a trip to the National Fruit Collection at Brogdale and pick their brains.
Voltaire