In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Count Steer

Re: In todays news...

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:06 pm
Lineker wrote:'However difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn't compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It's heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you.
'We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people. Thank you.'
Seems that Lineker has not heard of economic migration ...
I'm sure he has, but is, perhaps, restricting his attention to address one issue at a time. Which bit of his statement above do you disagree with?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Horse wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:00 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:51 am You buy a home on a cliff, or a flood plain,
In-laws bought a house with a field next to it, described as a 'water meadow'. They were shocked when, drawing back the curtains one morning, there was a lake there instead.
Rule #1: NEVER buy a home on the street with ANYTHING to do with water in the name.
Rule#2: Try to find a home that sits at a slightly higher elevation than the neighbors. (This saved my last place. My home sat just a couple of feet higher than the neighbors & I knew the path water would take when it pissed down. Neighbors woke up to ankle deep water in their homes one morning, it flowed North, then NW across the desert, turned West across the road from my place & went straight into their homes. I have pics of it somewhere.)
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:00 pm
Lineker wrote:'However difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn't compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It's heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you.
'We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people. Thank you.'
I'm sure he has, but is, perhaps, restricting his attention to address one issue at a time. Which bit of his statement above do you disagree with?
A selective statement, but you know this of course. Image
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:23 pm

Yes, but to persist, which bit of his statement do you disagree with?
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:56 pm

As a generality his statement was correct as far as it went but what was omitted was intentionally misleading. The legislation that he implicitly compared to Nazi Germany is directed at dealing with the 'small boat' problem:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistic ... -july-2022

Indeed, there is neither persecution nor war in Albania which is currently negotiating entry to the EU.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accessi ... pean_Union
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:33 am
I appreciate this makes me deeply unpopular. It is much easier to simply believe what you're told because otherwise you're "obviously" on "the other side" and also believe the world is flat.
It doesn’t make you unpopular Screwd, it’s just that your willingness to stand very close to the edge of internet rabbit holes makes your viewpoints very suspect.

Much the polar opposite of your shed based threads.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:12 pm

As a generality his statement was correct as far as it went but what was omitted was intentionally misleading. The legislation that he implicitly compared to Nazi Germany is directed at dealing with the 'small boat' problem:

Indeed, there is neither persecution nor war in Albania which is currently negotiating entry to the EU.

So, putting aside Albania, and what you would imply he omitted, you agree with what he actually said?
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:14 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:00 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:51 am You buy a home on a cliff, or a flood plain,
In-laws bought a house with a field next to it, described as a 'water meadow'. They were shocked when, drawing back the curtains one morning, there was a lake there instead.
Rule #1: NEVER buy a home on the street with ANYTHING to do with water in the name.
Flood risk map.
20230313_194714.jpg
20230313_194714.jpg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 368 times
ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:14 pm Rule#2: Try to find a home that sits at a slightly higher elevation than the neighbors.
Not perfect. We've (not 'us', another house along the road) had rain heavy enough to overwhelm the drains. The issue was (and we're on top of a hill) that the road filled between the gutters, then water found the lowest dropped driveway curb - and the house was slightly lower than the road. Sandbag time.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:46 pm
irie wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:12 pm

So, putting aside Albania, and what you would imply he omitted, you agree with what he actually said?
The only thing left is this, which I agree with.
Lineker wrote: We remain a country of predominantly tolerant, welcoming and generous people.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

So, and at the risk of repeating myself, and accepting that you agree with the last sentence, what, exactly do you disagree with? It only appears that you have an issue with what he didn't say.
Voltaire
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:14 pm Rule #1: NEVER buy a home on the street with ANYTHING to do with water in the name.

Holme in the title is a bad start, considering what it means. Trees that love water like willow and I guess Holme Oak must be a bit suss although I can't remember ever identifying holme oak
Also bird names of types of birds that live near water. Kingfisher, Heron etc.
Fields beside em full of sedges is a bit of a swamp warning.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:13 pm
So, and at the risk of repeating myself, and accepting that you agree with the last sentence, what, exactly do you disagree with? It only appears that you have an issue with what he didn't say.
Pyramid selling sounds great in the adverts and you couldn't find fault in the printed words, but like Lineker's tweets they are deliberately misleading.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:30 pm

Pyramid selling sounds great in the adverts and you couldn't find fault in the printed words, but like Lineker's tweets they are deliberately misleading.
Same question to you. What exactly do you disagree with from what he actually said? All I'm getting is that people object to what they infer that he didn't say or something. It's a straight question. What do you disagree with that he actually said? Never mind all the sideways bollocks about pyramid selling and 'deliberately misleading' just tell me what he said that you disagree with.
Voltaire
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:41 pm

Same question to you. What exactly do you disagree with from what he actually said? All I'm getting is that people object to what they infer that he didn't say or something. It's a straight question. What do you disagree with that he actually said? Never mind all the sideways bollocks about pyramid selling and 'deliberately misleading' just tell me what he said that you disagree with.
As far as I am concerned Lineker is just an annoying has-been who is currently vastly overpaid by my licence fee. Everything he says is annoying, and I disagree with him being paid to say it.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:15 pm
As far as I am concerned Lineker is just an annoying has-been who is currently vastly overpaid by my licence fee. Everything he says is annoying, and I disagree with him being paid to say it.
Well yes Jack, that's expected of you, but you haven't addressed the question either.
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:41 pm Same question to you. What exactly do you disagree with from what he actually said? All I'm getting is that people object to what they infer that he didn't say or something. It's a straight question. What do you disagree with that he actually said? Never mind all the sideways bollocks about pyramid selling and 'deliberately misleading' just tell me what he said that you disagree with.
Anyone who goes around suggesting our UK government is comparable to Nazi Germany from a taxpayer funded platform should be sacked instantly.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:21 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:41 pm Same question to you. What exactly do you disagree with from what he actually said? All I'm getting is that people object to what they infer that he didn't say or something. It's a straight question. What do you disagree with that he actually said? Never mind all the sideways bollocks about pyramid selling and 'deliberately misleading' just tell me what he said that you disagree with.
Anyone who goes around suggesting our UK government is comparable to Nazi Germany from a taxpayer funded platform should be sacked instantly.
Roll up, roll up...another one that avoids the question. (Ignoring the fact that he used his own Twitter account etc etc etc). We've moved on to:

'However difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn't compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It's heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you.

But feel free to answer the questions you think you want to hear.
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:26 pm
Roll up, roll up...another one that avoids the question. (Ignoring the fact that he used his own Twitter account etc etc etc). We've moved on to:

'However difficult the last few days have been, it simply doesn't compare to having to flee your home from persecution or war to seek refuge in a land far away. It's heartwarming to have seen the empathy towards their plight from so many of you.

But feel free to answer the questions you think you want to hear.
Indeed but what you failed to notice is that I laid a trap. A trap of your own making.

TBH I thought it was so obvious even someone like you wouldn't blunder into it but hey ho. I will leave it to others to point out the error of your ways.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

So much straw man in this its hard to measure.
Lineker didn't do it off a taxpayer funded platform, you know that don't you. So why perpetrate the myth?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:19 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:15 pm

Well yes Jack, that's expected of you, but you haven't addressed the question either.
Since he 'said' it on Twitter I have never seen his actual words. It was nice and quiet over the weekend though.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!