In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: In todays news...

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:55 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:43 am I would assume that the tax battle ( He claims self employed, HMRC claim at a huge % of this work is for one employer - so he is employed) is behind GL trying to get dismissed from the BBC. He knows exactly what he is doing
Isn't that counterproductive? If he gets sacked by them then it's clear he worked for them.
Surely it's better if the BBC steps back, takes no action and calls him a contractor and says they're not responsible for what he says and he's his own man?

This 'suspension' by his 'employer' could cost him £5m.

Personally I reckon he wishes he'd kept his mouth shut.
Google estimates his net worth atthe best part of £30m. I doubt he gives a shit whether BBC do anything or not.

He'd walk into 10 jobs tomorrow for more money at Sky or BT
G.P

Post by G.P »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:59 am Do you not think that is what he trying to precipitate?
Seems an incredibly complex way of having an IR35 Argument! :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

demographic wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 9:40 am On the bright side, it looks like Richard Sharp will be hoisted by his own petard with no possible argument.
This is all it's about, you've got to choose between Labour and Tory.

Tory being represented by the millionaire ex-banker Chairman of the BBC and Labour being represented by a multi-millionaire virtue signalling footballer :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:01 am
Google estimates his net worth atthe best part of £30m. I doubt he gives a shit whether BBC do anything or not.

He'd walk into 10 jobs tomorrow for more money at Sky or BT
Maybe.
Le Tissier doesn't seem that arsed, Lineker might be scared of being cancelled though and he might go the Clarkson route and issue some sort of retraction or apology.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Apologise for what, exactly?
cheb

Post by cheb »

Making a bad decision and imperiling his future wealth?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:06 am

Maybe.
Le Tissier doesn't seem that arsed, Lineker might be scared of being cancelled though and he might go the Clarkson route and issue some sort of retraction or apology.
Clarkson is the champion of yobbos, punches colleagues while on the BBC clock, writes paid opinion pieces advocating girls being shamed in the nip. I don't hate him, I like his shows for what they are, but I don't think it's a fair comparison to Lineker pointing out inhumane government policy.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Docca wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:10 am Apologise for what, exactly?
Suggesting that the current UK government and the government of the pre-WW2 Nazi Party have anything in common.
Being a jug-eared buffoon who is not qualified to make political comment.

You could probably make up a list if you thought about it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:13 am ... inhumane government policy.
Lol, you can't come into the UK illegally and they'll remove you if you do.

Banks also have inhumane policies that you can't rob them even if you're poor.
Docca

Post by Docca »

More SM commentary for those who think in guard rails to rally against. Some good points though.
Docca

Post by Docca »

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

And that is the point, the whole point and nothing but the point.

It is the language that is being used that is reminiscent of 1930's Germany.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:38 pm Apparently he called the UK government worse than Nazi Germany.

Anyone else would have been sacked. Instantly.
No, he didn't. His comment was directed specifically at a video of Sue Braverman, and he said “This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?” How can you equate that to accusing the govt of being 'worse than Nazi Germany'?
This is the same Sue Braverman who stated
I would love to have a front page of The Telegraph with a plane taking off to Rwanda, that’s my dream, it’s my obsession
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:16 am Being a jug-eared buffoon who is not qualified to make political comment.
What qualifies anyone to make political comment?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:52 am
What qualifies anyone to make political comment?
Being able to qualify it rather than just throw it out there.

Yvette Cooper, the Shadow Home Secretary (Suella Braverman's counterpart) said (when asked about whether she supports Mr Lineker) - "No, I don't. I think that was wrong. I think he was wrong to say that. I just don't think you should make comparisons with the 1930s. Look, we can have a debate about all sorts of different aspects, and people will take different views about different aspects of policies and issues and so on. But I don't think you should make those sorts of comparisons."

So can anyone argue against her, and with some clarity, explain why Lineker was right to compare the language used by the government to the anti-Semitic Nazi government of the 1930's, and why you disagree with both Home Secretaries.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I don't really follow sports media so I dunno how well thought of Lineker is in the bizz...but I am a bit surprised by just how many people have stood up to be counted alongside him. Enough that the BBC have had to take programmes off the air for lack of staff.

The cynic in me suggests most of the people involved aren't actually that politically motivated or concerned about free speech, but shock horror, they actually like GL and want to support him. Almost unheard of these days!

Or they just smell a juicy new gig at BT/Sky :lol:
Potter wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:09 am-"No, I don't. I think that was wrong. I think he was wrong to say that. I just don't think you should make comparisons with the 1930s. Look, we can have a debate about all sorts of different aspects, and people will take different views about different aspects of policies and issues and so on. But I don't think you should make those sorts of comparisons."
Come on Ms. Cooper, this is a total fucking wash out.

"People shouldn't say that because these are things people shouldn't say. Don't ask me why."
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:48 am
It is the language that is being used that is reminiscent of 1930's Germany.
And if anyone manages a decent actual comparison rather than snatched pictures that are sub-GCSE level standard, then we can move on to actions that may be reminiscent of 1930's Germany, when we'll draw parallels with the Labour Party and their anti-Semitic behaviour.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:11 am
Come on Ms. Cooper, this is a total fucking wash out.

"People shouldn't say that because these are things people shouldn't say. Don't ask me why."
Lol you saying you don't automatically agree with her because she couldn't quantify her statement :D

Welcome to my side of the fence :D
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Why is nobody bothered that HMRC say GL avoided tax? When that happened to Nadhim Zahawi he was branded a criminal who should resign from everything.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mussels wrote: Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:20 am Why is nobody bothered that HMRC say GL avoided tax? When that happened to Nadhim Zahawi he was branded a criminal who should resign from everything.
Aww, I was saving that for when I'd had enough fun with the Nazis and freedom of speech thing :lol: