In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Ant

Re: In todays news...

Post by Ant »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 98373.html

Looks like Gary Linekar has over stepped the mark of vile, far left extremism.....
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:58 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:38 pm Apparently he called the UK government worse than Nazi Germany.

Anyone else would have been sacked. Instantly.
No he didn't

immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s".
Oh right. Guess I must be wrong then.

Put me right - what was going on in Germany in the 1930's. :hmmm:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:17 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:58 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:38 pm Apparently he called the UK government worse than Nazi Germany.

No he didn't

immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s".
Oh right. Guess I must be wrong then.

Put me right - what was going on in Germany in the 1930's. :hmmm:
You said nazi. Not him
Docca

Post by Docca »

Are you too thick to even read up a few posts to see that’s what we’re discussing, Ant?

I’d like to know what your understanding of ‘far left extremism’ is?

As for Lineker- this is about breaching impartiality, but as already pointed out :

- Richard Sharp ( the chair of the BBC) has facilitated donations to the Tory party. Why isn’t his position untenable?

- are all views that differ to yours far left extremist?

- why the partisanship? It’s akin to dumbo Americans rallying around terms such as ‘snowflakes’. Do you recognise that it is entirely possible for people to agree with views that are both ‘left’ and ‘right’ leaning?

- do you even understand what ‘left’ means in a political context?

- do you agree that the ex Prime minister should seek to get a peerage for the boss of the newspaper group? Does that sound impartial to you?

- do you know what an authoritarian state is?

Ironically, this is outside the BBC:

Iccy will no doubt be along in a minute to remind us we’re not appropriately qualified to have this type of discussion / easily led
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Nope, not the words he used.
Think Yoz has quoted it about the way I heard it on the radio.

Still, last time I looked we have freedom of speech in the UK (timestamp 20:00 10/03/23 just incase Braverman gets her way) and he's just voiced his opinion.
Horse

Post by Horse »

"Apparently"

Haven't you recently trying to confirm conspiracy theories and debunk fact as presented and generally accepted?

In which case, "Apparently" is a bit poor. At least be aware of what he did say.

“This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?”

20230310_195953.jpg
20230310_195953.jpg (135.42 KiB) Viewed 372 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:19 pm You said nazi. Not him
Indeed, he did not say the "N" word.

So what was he referring to when he described the "immeasurably cruel policy...used by Germany in the 30s".

I mean, Adolf Hitler came into power, Germany became a dictatorship under the Nazi party. We all know that. That was quite a biggie, did I miss something, was there something else going on Mr. Lineker was referring to??
demographic wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:00 pm Nope, not the words he used.
Think Yoz has quoted it about the way I heard it on the radio.
Yeah, I guess he must have been referring to some other "immeasurably cruel" event. The Olympics perhaps?
demographic

Post by demographic »

Look Screwd, you misquoted it. Not the end of the world but it wasn't right
Yoz (and now Horse) have put you right.
Just admit you were wrong and move on.

It's not a pissing contest.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Docxa wrote:do you even understand what ‘left’ means in a political context?
I don’t think the “left” even understands that any more.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

demographic wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:21 pm Look Screwd, you misquoted it. Not the end of the world but it wasn't right

I did not quote anyone. I said:

That is literally true unless Mr. Lineker was referring to something else.

Seriously people who want to suggest he was not comparing our current government to Nazi Germany need to come up with some other reference that he was making. Otherwise, you have to accept he was in fact saying exactly that.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Horse wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:04 pm

"Apparently"

Haven't you recently trying to confirm conspiracy theories and debunk fact as presented and generally accepted?

In which case, "Apparently" is a bit poor. At least be aware of what he did say.

“This is just an immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s, and I’m out of order?”

20230310_195953.jpg
I just took you off ignore and you post this??

I don't care what he has to say, I know what he is like and I don't feel obliged to receive my political education from footballers or other actors. They are just regular people without the breadth and depth of knowledge to make a more meaningfully considered view than you or I. Their opinion on world events is no more valid than for example, anyone else on this forum.

I used the word "apparently" because I did not feel the need to go find the precise statement and in doing so, give Mr. Lineker the attention he craves. I picked it up off a BBC news report where the entirety of that statement was made and the meaning of what he was saying clearly apparent. At least that meaning was clear enough to me, incredibly a fair few here appear to be arguing that he did not make that comparison so I am asking what was it those in denial are suggesting he did refer to. If not Nazi Germany then what??

What Lineker did was despicable, to compare the UK government to Nazi Germany is insulting to those of us who understand the full horror of that period. Those who do not understand just how trite and insulting such a comparison is can just fuck right off in my book. Godwins rule should apply whether the name Hitler is spelled out or not.

If I said I consider you are not dissimilar to that bloke in the film who made a shit ton of money selling prawns, how would you interpret that?

I didn't mention Forest Gump.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:27 pm
demographic wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:21 pm Look Screwd, you misquoted it. Not the end of the world but it wasn't right

I did not quote anyone. I said:

That is literally true unless Mr. Lineker was referring to something else.

Seriously people who want to suggest he was not comparing our current government to Nazi Germany need to come up with some other reference that he was making. Otherwise, you have to accept he was in fact saying exactly that.
Nope, so "Not dissimilar" means "worse" now eh? No so "literally true" is it?

Yer just wrong, get over it and move on. We all make mistakes, its a part of life.

He was comparing our current government to Nazi Germany though, Ill grant that.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I don't think the left even know what they're angry and mouth foaming over.

Stopping illegal immigration and people trafficking isn't the same as stopping asylum. If you've got as far as France or even a few countries before and you're a genuine asylum seeker, then you won't be needing to find thousands of pounds to give an illegal gang of people traffickers to smuggle you into England.
demographic

Post by demographic »

chat gpt beta wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:10 pm https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 98373.html

Looks like Gary Linekar has over stepped the mark of vile, far left extremism.....
Nope, Turing test fail.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:44 pm I used the word "apparently" because I did not feel the need to go find the precise statement
Yet you berate the rest of us for not accepting facts, and instead you go with what you heard. Inconsistent at best.

I'll say goodbye now, should I? :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Horse wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:06 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:44 pm I used the word "apparently" because I did not feel the need to go find the precise statement
Yet you berate the rest of us for not accepting facts, and instead you go with what you heard. Inconsistent at best.

I'll say goodbye now, should I? :wave:
Meaningless off topic drivel. By "go by what you heard" you mean caught the gist of it off BBC news then yes. Whatever "facts" may have been presented were assimilated and used to form an opinion.

In my opinion Lineker compared the UK government to Nazi Germany and the thrust of my argument, the actual point I was making was that that would have been enough to get anyone else sacked. I didn't think so many people want to suggest that is not what he said, even though that is clearly what he meant.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Jeremy Clarkson says nasty words about Meghan Markle. Gary Lineker offends a majority of Brits by arguing border enforcement is like 1930s Germany. In the Clarkson case the Left called for Clarkson’s job, in the Lineker case they argue it’s ‘cancel culture’. How very selective! King of cancel culture gets cancelled :lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

You could have checked, you didn't. It took moments. Yet you spend ages explaining how we've all been hoodwinked.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I agree with Screwd here. He aligned the current Govt with the Nazi regime. Just because he didn't say the N word, can anyone really deny the implication? That's hate speech, end of.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Is it spring yet?