In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Docca

Re: In todays news...

Post by Docca »

If you want an indication of just how crooked (this) government is; Johnson is putting Paul Dacre forward for a peerage, again. He's been rejected once already. Paul Dacre is the chief over at the Daily Mail
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I bet they'll be celebrating in the streets of Edinburgh tonight, knowing that a useless fuckwit of a hanger-on has been made their prince.

King Charles grants Prince Edward Duke of Edinburgh title

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-64913224
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

gremlin wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:32 pm I bet they'll be celebrating in the streets of Edinburgh tonight, knowing that a useless fuckwit of a hanger-on has been made their prince.

He’s only being made their Duke. Maintain perspective!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

JackyJoll wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:47 pm
gremlin wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:32 pm I bet they'll be celebrating in the streets of Edinburgh tonight, knowing that a useless fuckwit of a hanger-on has been made their prince.

He’s only being made their Duke. Maintain perspective!
Dukedom today, prince next year!!

Everyone know dukedoms are a gateway title. He started off dabbling with a little earldom, and now look. Soon he'll be on the street corners of Edinburgh mainlining a prince title and before long he'll be hitting the King pipe.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

gremlin wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:08 pm he'll be hitting the King pipe.
There was talk…
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

BBC was right to do this imo.

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use, the BBC has said.

It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.

The BBC said in a statement Lineker's "recent social media activity to be a breach of our guidelines".

It added he should "keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies".
G.P

Post by G.P »

Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:54 pm BBC was right to do this imo.

Gary Lineker is to step back from presenting Match of the Day until an agreement is reached on his social media use, the BBC has said.

It follows an impartiality row over comments he made criticising the government's new asylum policy.

The BBC said in a statement Lineker's "recent social media activity to be a breach of our guidelines".

It added he should "keep well away from taking sides on party political issues or political controversies".
Why? its censorship IMO.
Lineker's job is not as a Political journalist where one would expect a degree of being neutral. The guy is a football presenter and also has a twitter account, he;s just as entitiled to air his views as you or me. The irony of Braverman saying he shouldn't air his views as he's paid by the british taxpayer was not lost on me either. She is fucking evil

Also, you are assuming it was the BBC's decision...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

G.P wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:05 pm
Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 4:54 pm BBC was right to do this imo.

Why? its censorship IMO.
Lineker's job is not as a Political journalist where one would expect a degree of being neutral. The guy is a football presenter and also has a twitter account, he;s just as entitiled to air his views as you or me. The irony of Braverman saying he shouldn't air his views as he's paid by the british taxpayer was not lost on me either. She is fucking evil

Because it goes against the impartiality rules laid out by the BBC for its employees.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:30 pm
Because it goes against the impartiality rules laid out by the BBC for its employees.
Well that's fucking stupid, those rules should be limited to impartiality when he is doing his job and representing the BBC.
Lineker did not use Match of the Day as a platform to give his personal opinions, he used his personal social media account to do that.
The guy can be a complete prick, but IMO he's entitled to voice his views like any other citizen.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

G.P wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:05 pm Why? its censorship IMO.

Gary Lineker is perfectly entitled to share his political views as a political commentator.

But he is being paid to be a football commentator. That includes what he can and cannot say because part of the contract will include "not bringing the BBC into disrepute".

It is not censorship. The BBC is giving him a platform to speak from with authority and to a vast audience. They have told him (I assume) either wind your neck in or kiss goodbye to your role as commentator. He can make his own choice.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

G.P wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:38 pm
Well that's fucking stupid, those rules should be limited to impartiality when he is doing his job and representing the BBC.
Lineker did not use Match of the Day as a platform to give his personal opinions, he used his personal social media account to do that.
The guy can be a complete prick, but IMO he's entitled to voice his views like any other citizen.
He's not a political commentator or even a satirical comedian though, he's an influential sports presenter employed by a publicly funded organisation. He'd be a has been footballer if it wasn't for being employed by the BBC, so he will be seen as a representative of them.He will of been aware of the policy but is arrogant enough to think he was bigger than it. He left the BBC no option, even if they agreed with him.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:02 pm
He's not a satirical comedian though, he's an influential sports presenter employed by a publicly funded organisation. He'd be a has been footballer if it wasn't for being employed by the BBC, so he will be seen as a representative of them.He will of been aware of the policy but is arrogant enough to think he was bigger than it. He left the BBC no option, even if they agreed with him.
Sorry, I'm not having it, I don;t accept that being employed by a publicly funded organisation should deprive you of an opinion. The BBC spends most of its effort and money championing political / socially charged subjects so the irony is even greater.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

G.P wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:15 pm

He's not a satirical comedian though, he's an influential sports presenter employed by a publicly funded organisation. He'd be a has been footballer if it wasn't for being employed by the BBC, so he will be seen as a representative of them.He will of been aware of the policy but is arrogant enough to think he was bigger than it. He left the BBC no option, even if they agreed with him.
Sorry, I'm not having it, I don;t accept that being employed by a publicly funded organisation should deprive you of an opinion. The BBC spends most of its effort and money championing political / socially charged subjects so the irony is even greater.
I don't disagree with you about the BBCs irony and bet it was bitter pill for them too. But Lineker knew the rules when he signed up and is arrogant to think he was bigger than the BBC's policies.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

This is the same BBC that's left wing propoganda, yeah?
Docca

Post by Docca »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:54 pm
Gary Lineker is perfectly entitled to share his political views as a political commentator.
He’s a contractor who voiced his views on Twitter, which is his personal account. You might not agree with his views, but we should stand behind a person having the right to say it.

My view is this move by the BBC is dangerous. Their chair sponsors the the Tory party, so even a hard nose right -wing nut job might concede the optics on this are poor ( disagree with Tory policy, get shafted).

It is all sounding a bit authoritarian, which is dangerous.

Not that Kent and Essex will mind.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:23 pm
G.P wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:15 pm

I don't disagree with you about the BBCs irony and bet it was bitter pill for them too. But Lineker knew the rules when he signed up and is arrogant to think he was bigger than the BBC's policies.

He has a public platform and many followers. A counter argue meant to ‘having a contract’ might be ‘having consciousness and awareness’ being able to use his voice for standing up for what he feels is right.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Apparently he called the UK government worse than Nazi Germany.

Anyone else would have been sacked. Instantly.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Blimey. Lineker got pulled.

Not gonna judge, but these 2 legends have voted with their feet

Fellow pundit Ian Wright said he will not appear in "solidarity", tweeting: "Everybody knows what Match of the Day means to me, but I've told the BBC I won't be doing it tomorrow. Solidarity."

Alan Shearer, who also presents on the show, said he had "informed the BBC that I won't be appearing on MOTD tomorrow night".
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:38 pm Apparently he called the UK government worse than Nazi Germany.

No he didn't

immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s".
Ant

Post by Ant »

Screwdriver wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:38 pm Apparently he called the UK government worse than Nazi Germany.

I've read the Forde report, cover to cover.

If anyone wants to compare a political party to the Nazis, then they need to look no further than Labour.