If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:37 am
Mussels wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:14 pm The thread title was childish to start with, I never expected anything but mmpp from it.
This response always reminds me of plums you get in TV quiz shows moaning that they weren’t asked the right questions. Y’know, the ones they knew the answers to.

Whether or not the question was highbrow enough for some, the responses have underlined a paucity or even complete absence of argument regarding benefits of Brexit.
It's an unanswerable question without an economic and social model of how the UK would now have been had the UK not left the EU, because that's what is really behind this question.

Without that it's at best a meaningless question and at worst a whingers invitation. Hence the mmpp.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Ant

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Ant »

G.P wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:49 am If there was someone senior in the treasury who could come into the thread and point out that exchequer is £x million better off because of our non EU status that would be interesting.
I haven't seen anything amongst the MMPP across 22 pages that calls out any material benefit from our exit that would be missed. Therefore I'm concluding that there might be a financial benefit for the Govt, but not really anything else?
Benefit for government or those in government?
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

G.P wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:49 am If there was someone senior in the treasury who could come into the thread and point out that exchequer is £x million better off because of our non EU status that would be interesting.
I haven't seen anything amongst the MMPP across 22 pages that calls out any material benefit from our exit that would be missed. Therefore I'm concluding that there might be a financial benefit for the Govt, but not really anything else?
The cash benefit was denied almost as soon as it had been used to win the vote. Shame that there is video proof of lies being said, and photos of fibs on busses in foot high letters. There is no immediate benefit, there never was, they should be asking how big the hole is and how long we are expected to wait for plucky britain to start teaching johny furriner a lesson when it comes to trade. Johnson has gone now, they need to stop bigging up important new trade deals for australian boomerangs because it's fecking embarassing.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The EU won't be around for much longer, as soon as France, Italy and Spain see how well the UK is doing they'll be out as well. They need us more than we need them.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:10 pm The EU won't be around for much longer, as soon as France, Italy and Spain see how well the UK is doing they'll be out as well. They need us more than we need them.
I dunno if this is a popular opinion in the UK, let alone for the likes of France, Italy, Spain.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:19 pm
Pirahna wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 3:10 pm The EU won't be around for much longer, as soon as France, Italy and Spain see how well the UK is doing they'll be out as well. They need us more than we need them.
I dunno if this is a popular opinion in the UK, let alone for the likes of France, Italy, Spain.
I suspect Mr P's tongue was wedged firmly in cheek when writing that...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:37 pm
On the old forum there was a user called "Irie" who would come out with this sort of stuff all day long. Sadly it's all gone, I've no idea if Irie made it over here.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:12 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:37 pm

On the old forum there was a user called "Irie" who would come out with this sort of stuff all day long. Sadly it's all gone, I've no idea if Irie made it over here.
Now you really are pulling our collective plonkers... :D
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Aye, on our current trajectory we'll almost be doing as well as Poland in a few years...
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:47 pm
Aye, on our current trajectory we'll almost be doing as well as Poland in a few years...
Bbbut...We're going to be the new Singapore, we'll have freeports and everything! (We'll do well to be up there with the economic powerhouse/dump that is Andorra :lol: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:50 pm
Bbbut...We're going to be the new Singapore, we'll have freeports and everything! (We'll do well to be up there with the economic powerhouse/dump that is Andorra :lol: ).
Since you mention Andorra - what do the EU do about the land borders & hard customs? And what about San Marino, Monaco, Vatican City and Liechtenstein ?
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Aye we'll have more sov ring tea and everyfink.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:59 pm

Since you mention Andorra - what do the EU do about the land borders & hard customs? And what about San Marino, Monaco, Vatican City and Liechtenstein ?
Andorra has a special relationship ie it's pretty much in, but not officially, even uses and mints Andorran euros. Pretty strange though, you walk across the border and are surrounded by empires of duty free tat, then stroll back across. It's a pretty unpleasant place from what we saw of it, full of retirees in search of cheap booze and low taxes. A bit like a landlocked Costa.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:59 pm

All the above are classed as 'micro-states' and are not part of the EU or the Schengen area, but do use the Euro as currency and have free movement agreements with the neighbouring states. There's always a long queue of French cars at the entrance to Andorra at Pas de La Casa, crossing the border for cheap petrol, booze, fags, perfume etc. The French authorities don't like it as it's losing them tax revenues, but there's nothing they can do about it except delay people as much as they can.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Pas de la Casa reminded me of a wild west town, to be honest, but places like Soldeu are a lot nicer.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:24 pm Pas de la Casa reminded me of a wild west town, to be honest, but places like Soldeu are a lot nicer.
Pasa de la Casa was a shit hole when I went through it in 1983 - I guess it isn't much better now
Druid

Post by Druid »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:09 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:24 pm Pas de la Casa reminded me of a wild west town, to be honest, but places like Soldeu are a lot nicer.
Pasa de la Casa was a shit hole when I went through it in 1983 - I guess it isn't much better now
Andorra la Vella was the same when I was there 20 years ago. I'm beginning to form a picture of the country :)
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

In fairness, Pas de la Casa is right on the French border and is probably the least pleasant part of the whole country. A number of MotoGP stars live in Andorra - Aleix Espargaro, Fabio Quartararo, Jorge Martin (I think) and Simon Crafar also lives there, so I doubt they'd be residents if the whole country was a sh1t hole... I stayed in Soldeu for a snowboarding holiday about 20 years ago and really liked the place.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

On the subject of the 90 day rule and over staying, a thread popped upon my FB feed this morning. One person was refused entry because he had overstayed by 2 days on his previous visit, another had immigration arrive at his door and he was deported within 24 hours, he can still return but must always show that he has bought a return ticket. Another was fined 900 lev on his return, and another was told she would be fined when she returned as she had overstayed by 5 days (assuming she isn't denied entry, it seems to be at the discretion of whichever border official you get pulled by). The latter 2 own property here (but no residency) so I assume their properties can be seized if fines aren't paid, which is why they're allowed to pay on return visit.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yeah I've also heard of folk who are officially resident in the EU still trying to bomb about in UK registered cars, and getting fined at borders.
It's a fair cop - what did they think was going to happen?