If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr Moofo

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Mr Moofo »

Greenman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:54 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:52 pm
Greenman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:43 pm

In relation to Iccys comments it is though, the general attitude of people is shit, if you don't see and feel this in your general life then you are obviously quite privileged and live away from the real grind that is the UK society of today!

If you just want to work, fuck and bring up gremlins in a perpetual cycle of boringness then maybe i agree, but some people want more than that and for those who want more it's a very frustrating place to live!
So, a) where's better? b) why aren't you there?
A - You tell me

B - I don't know where it is?
I love it when people who have never lived in another country from the the one they were born in, are incredibly negative about the UK.
When they haven't even lived in a different county it gets even better.

Whilst the UK has it's issues it is far better than many places out there - in the 3 times I have lived outside of the UK, the biggest thing you notice about your countrymen is their ability to moan about everything whilst doing absolutely fuck all to try and change any of them :eh:
Greenman

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Greenman »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:00 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:52 pm

So, a) where's better? b) why aren't you there?
A - You tell me

I love it when people who have never lived in another country from the the one they were born in, are incredibly negative about the UK.

Whilst the UK has it's issues it is far better than many places out there - in the 3 times I have lived outside of the UK, the biggest thing you notice about your countrymen is their ability to moan about everything whilst doing absolutely fuck all to try and change any of them :eh:
I totally agree, there are issues across the world in every country but i can only give my opinions on what i have experienced right?

Maybe i am not as lucky as some who have had the oppertunity to travel and experience many cultures but i can 100% confirm i know what i am talking about when it comes to the attitude of the current UK society!

What society would you advise i pursue?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Greenman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:17 pm
How about you start by explaining what's wrong with England (I can help :thumbup: ) and how you're going to make it better. Maybe through music, maybe through cider...but if you're going to moan about one place, maybe you have a secret nirvana where none of the problems exist or is it actually that you don't feel comfortable with this planet?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Felix

Post by Felix »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:22 pm
actually that you don't feel comfortable with this planet?
Is he ever on it? :lol:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Greenman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:34 pm Try actually living here mate it's shit!
Dunno, I guess everyone has their own perspective but I like this country.
In the small part I'm regularly in I see kingfishers, dippers, herons, deer and so on.
It's nice and green, not some sandblasted hole with at best yellow grass.
The people are generally ok.

I'd like Britain to live upto its potential in the world and not hide away like a rat baring its teeth at anything that frightens it. I also don't want it to become an unregulated sweatshop which I firmly believe the current goverments policies are taking us.

The European regulations allow us to trade with Europe, get rid of them and expect tarrifs, fail.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

"The UK is shit, all everyone does is moan"

Do you British people hear yourselves? :D
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Time for what a 70s punk(ish) band has to say on the subject...

There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:00 pm

A - You tell me

I am not going to tell you , as you are looking for someone to blame , if you don't like (which you will)

You hate the UK based on Bristol and the surrounding area ...
And yet you cannot even be arsed to work out where you might like to live or be
Do you lack ambition, or are you too stoned to actually take responsibility for your life , or just lazy?
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:37 pm
Greenman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:34 pm Try actually living here mate it's shit!
No, it isn't if you have a secure job/income and a home you silly boy. *slap*
In relation to Iccys comments it is though, the general attitude of people is shit, if you don't see and feel this in your general life then you are obviously quite privileged and live away from the real grind that is the UK society of today!

If you just want to work, fuck and bring up gremlins in a perpetual cycle of boringness then maybe i agree, but some people want more than that and for those who want more it's a very frustrating place to live!
Well then, live somewhere else that you like better. Simples.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

irie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:10 pm Well then, live somewhere else that you like better. Simples.
It's not that simple any more, If that "better" place happens to be in Europe, Brexit has added some extra complexity and made it almost impossible to work in the EU. I've made the move to Spain, easy because I'm Irish, but am sadly burdoned with a UK driving license. The Spanish have refused to exchange a license for a Spanish one and I'm half way through my six month grace period. A deal has alegedly been reached but the Spanish are dragging their heels on implementing it.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Pirahna wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:30 pm
irie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:10 pm Well then, live somewhere else that you like better. Simples.
It's not that simple any more, If that "better" place happens to be in Europe, Brexit has added some extra complexity and made it almost impossible to work in the EU. I've made the move to Spain, easy because I'm Irish, but am sadly burdoned with a UK driving license. The Spanish have refused to exchange a license for a Spanish one and I'm half way through my six month grace period. A deal has alegedly been reached but the Spanish are dragging their heels on implementing it.
So we basically have less rights in Europe now thanks to Brexit. What about the wins? In 20 years... hmm.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

It was my intention, when I retired, to live as much of a full year in our place in the south of France as I could - see the village and the surrounding countryside as it changed during the course of a year. Thanks to Brexit, that's one thing I now won't be able to do, at least not without having to apply for an extended visa. I can now only spend a maximum of 90 days in a rolling six month period.

And what do I get in return? Sovereignty. What the actual fuck is that when it's at home?
irie

Post by irie »

The whingeing never ends.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:48 pm The whingeing never ends.
Nor do the mindless comments by the ideologically obsessed.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

irie wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:10 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:37 pm

No, it isn't if you have a secure job/income and a home you silly boy. *slap*

Well then, live somewhere else that you like better. Simples.
Where?
demographic

Post by demographic »

You managed it from 1971 til 2016 so we've got to catch up a bit yet.
irie

Post by irie »

demographic wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:50 pm
You managed it from 1971 til 2016 so we've got to catch up a bit yet.
It was actually post the 1993 Maastricht Treaty, but we've been there before and I really can't be arsed to go over all that stuff again. Carry on.
Felix

Post by Felix »

So did anyone manage to get tomatoes or even want any or just jumped on the whining bandwagon. I have two left in my fridge if you are stuck. Might be on the turn though but TBH they are over rated. They keep the heat to long to have with anything on toast or in an omelette and they ruin a salad as they have way to much juice.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Keeping toms in the fridge is a bad idea; ruins the flavour and they don't ripen properly. Keep 'em in the fruit bowl.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:13 pm
Horse wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:56 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:57 am Perhaps what we need is a plan for here and now?
There was - allegedly - a plan for Northern Ireland ...
Ageed it was a crap plan, but ...
'But' nothing.

The promise was that it was all planned, sorted, simple, etc.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: