If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Hoonercat

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Hoonercat »

S'ok, another few weeks and it'll all be over, according to the environment secretary.
Speaking in the Commons, Ms Coffey told MPs she anticipated "the situation will last about another two to four weeks".
Ministers were talking to retailers about how to avoid such problems in the future, she added.
"It is why there will be further discussions led by ministers as well, so that we can try and get over this and try and avoid similar situations in the future."
Great. The Govt, having ignored the warnings last year, will have discussions with the retailers, who also ignored the warnings last year
Philip Pearson, APS Group director, the UK’s largest tomato producer:
We did say, as an industry, last year: ‘If you don’t support us through the winter you will have empty shelves,’” Pearson says. “Government didn’t listen, our customers didn’t listen, nobody listened.
"I don’t want to sound ‘I told you so,’ as that doesn’t help anybody, but we are where we were worried we would end up"
irie

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:07 am
irie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:53 am
Docca wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:29 pm
Yeah, this has been widely debunked by people posting plentiful fruit and veg from Spain, Portugal- France etc.

Survey of people who voted for Brexit and don’t read however … 😀

There is a local market tomorrow. I’ll try there.
It's the some that's caused supermarket panic buying. No shortage of tomatoes in a local farm shop yesterday btw. So Brexit in the supermarkets but not Brexit in our local farm shop. :lol:
I wonder if the farm shop imports their produce? No? Then that’s a pretty silly comment. Hopefully your farm shop can supply 67m people.

I don’t think you’ve understood the issue at hand. ‘I’m alright, Jack’
That's a pretty silly comment coming from a self professed mental health professional who evidently does not understand the psychology of panic buying.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Nice and Brexity! :lol:
BM.png
BM.png (836.99 KiB) Viewed 332 times
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Got to hand it to Brexiters, they were absolutely correct when they said sending the buggers back would result in higher salaries...
Brexit has also added cost to operations, predominantly through the additional cost of employing seasonal workers. In 2022, companies were required to pay workers coming to the UK on the post-Brexit seasonal worker scheme from overseas an additional 60p an hour on top of the government’s national minimum wage, a decision which Pearson said cost the company “millions” more.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I know its page 14 and I can't be arsed to got back over it all, but has anyone said "Fuck all" yet?

thanks
irie

Post by irie »

That might be just a weeny bit difficult given that I know neither ... oh, the post this was a reply to was deleted.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Since when did the availability of seasonal produce out of season become so critical?
A few years ago it was frowned upon as it fueled global warming, now it seems to be a human right.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:42 am FFS get over it. We left, re-joining isn't an option
Its funny you mention that actually cos although it would take ages it seems that chances are starting.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

demographic wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:32 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:42 am FFS get over it. We left, re-joining isn't an option
Its funny you mention that actually cos although it would take ages it seems that chances are starting.
OK, so the issue of re-joining has been raised. You know my views on Brexit (good) and the EU (bad) so i won't bore anyone with them again. Doesn't alter the fact we are playing a game, and we have to play with the hand we have now, not the one we had a few years ago, or the one we might have in a few years time. Moaning about it doesn't help.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
MyLittleStudPony

Of course we will end up rejoining. It's just a question of how soon.

We'll have to rejoin on the same terms as Romania etc. Our golden ticket has been Brexited away. But that's not an entirely bad thing, the UK had too much privilege anyway.
Ant

Post by Ant »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:04 pm Of course we will end up rejoining. It's just a question of how soon.
Ah hahahahahahahahahahahahahaa :lol: ;pics; :banana-wrench: :lol:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

It will happen by stages. First of all there will be increasing regulatory and tariff alignment to lessen the negative effects of being outside the customs union and single market. Over time we will align ourselves to the point where there is no longer any reason not to be part of the CU and SM, and then we will officially join them. I believe (and hope) that this will happen in my lifetime. After that it gets more difficult.

When we left the EU we also forfeited some particularly advantageous terms, relative to other member states. These included keeping our own currency, remaining outside the Schengen area and receiving a thumping rebate on member contributions, courtesy of Maggie Thatcher. If ever we apply to rejoin, I would be very surprised if we were able to get those benefits back. Keeping the pound Sterling, perhaps; staying outside Schengen, very unlikely; getting a rebate, no fucking chance. For those reasons I can't see us fully rejoining the EU until there has been a generational change. I hope I'm wrong.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:22 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:15 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:42 am
FFS get over it. shit happens,
Ahem ;)

Remember An Gof!

:D
I prefer to think of the parallel with Ukraine. Big nasty England bullying poor little Cornwall. :D
Well, Nicola is going to be at a loose end soon, to give support in the fight :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:18 pm
Well, Nicola is going to be at a loose end soon, to give support in the fight :)
I don't think Cornwall is quite ready for the poison dwarf. I certainly aren't.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:57 pm It will happen by stages. First of all there will be increasing regulatory and tariff alignment to lessen the negative effects of being outside the customs union and single market. Over time we will align ourselves to the point where there is no longer any reason not to be part of the CU and SM, and then we will officially join them. I believe (and hope) that this will happen in my lifetime. After that it gets more difficult.

When we left the EU we also forfeited some particularly advantageous terms, relative to other member states. These included keeping our own currency, remaining outside the Schengen area and receiving a thumping rebate on member contributions, courtesy of Maggie Thatcher. If ever we apply to rejoin, I would be very surprised if we were able to get those benefits back. Keeping the pound Sterling, perhaps; staying outside Schengen, very unlikely; getting a rebate, no fucking chance. For those reasons I can't see us fully rejoining the EU until there has been a generational change. I hope I'm wrong.
I think it's far more likely that the UK will become a full member of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership.
www.gov.uk wrote: CPTPP membership not only offers significant direct opportunities for UK exports, but it could also act as a gateway to the wider Indo-Pacific region, which is expected to account for the majority (56%) of global economic growth between 2019 and 2050.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:39 pm I think it's far more likely that the UK will become a full member of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership.
Of course. It makes such obvious economic and logistical sense to ignore a massive trading block on our doorstep with whom over 50% of our exports are transacted for an agreement with countries on the other side of the world and from whom we import far more than we export.

That is classic Brexiteer thinking and ideology. You will excuse me if I'm not in the slightest bit convinced.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

irie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:39 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:57 pm It will happen by stages. First of all there will be increasing regulatory and tariff alignment to lessen the negative effects of being outside the customs union and single market. Over time we will align ourselves to the point where there is no longer any reason not to be part of the CU and SM, and then we will officially join them. I believe (and hope) that this will happen in my lifetime. After that it gets more difficult.

I think it's far more likely that the UK will become a full member of the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership.
www.gov.uk wrote: CPTPP membership not only offers significant direct opportunities for UK exports, but it could also act as a gateway to the wider Indo-Pacific region, which is expected to account for the majority (56%) of global economic growth between 2019 and 2050.
Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

At least you're coming around to the fact that it's not the EU that is the problem here.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 5:06 amGlobally I think it's only the French that are disliked more than the British.
I was in France during the PM debacle last October. Even the French were laughing at us.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
MyLittleStudPony

DefTrap wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 9:03 am At least you're coming around to the fact that it's not the EU that is the problem here.
It's not the EU that's the problem now, it's the Remoaners!

Statue Defenders, hoooooooo!