If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Ant

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Ant »

A word of advice, don't get fed news from social media. You'll find yourself a little less angry and a lot more happy. Plenty in the supermarkets here ;)
irie

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:29 pm
irie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:31 pm
Docca wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:47 pm
How many supermarkets do you visit a day?

Also, I’d suspect you’d say everything was ok til the very end.

Even if your patch is ok, here ( East Hampshire) is empty. Plus, more supermarkets have joined the rationing.

Brexit continues to fuck us.
I understand that some vegetables imported into the UK such as tomatoes and cucumbers are largely grown in Portugal and southern Spain which have been hit with unusually cold weather. Which as everyone knows is caused by Brexit.
Yeah, this has been widely debunked by people posting plentiful fruit and veg from Spain, Portugal- France etc.

Survey of people who voted for Brexit and don’t read however … 😀

There is a local market tomorrow. I’ll try there.
It's the some that's caused supermarket panic buying. No shortage of tomatoes in a local farm shop yesterday btw. So Brexit in the supermarkets but not Brexit in our local farm shop. :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Docca

Post by Docca »

Ant wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:50 am A word of advice, don't get fed news from social media. You'll find yourself a little less angry and a lot more happy. Plenty in the supermarkets here ;)
but you are responding to my reply because you’re influenced by social media?

I’m not angry and it’s disappointing that you seem only capable of allocating opinion in safety boxes and filed under an emotion. Far too difficult to deal with the actual issue etc

Docca

Post by Docca »

irie wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:53 am
Docca wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:29 pm
irie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:31 pm

I understand that some vegetables imported into the UK such as tomatoes and cucumbers are largely grown in Portugal and southern Spain which have been hit with unusually cold weather. Which as everyone knows is caused by Brexit.
Yeah, this has been widely debunked by people posting plentiful fruit and veg from Spain, Portugal- France etc.

Survey of people who voted for Brexit and don’t read however … 😀

There is a local market tomorrow. I’ll try there.
It's the some that's caused supermarket panic buying. No shortage of tomatoes in a local farm shop yesterday btw. So Brexit in the supermarkets but not Brexit in our local farm shop. :lol:

I wonder if the farm shop imports their produce? No? Then that’s a pretty silly comment. Hopefully your farm shop can supply 67m people.

I don’t think you’ve understood the issue at hand. ‘I’m alright, Jack’
Ant

Post by Ant »

Docca wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:06 am
Ant wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:50 am A word of advice, don't get fed news from social media. You'll find yourself a little less angry and a lot more happy. Plenty in the supermarkets here ;)
but you are responding to my reply because you’re influenced by social media?

I’m not angry and it’s disappointing that you seem only capable of allocating opinion in safety boxes and filed under an emotion. Far too difficult to deal with the actual issue etc

Yes I'm responding. Me influenced? No, I'm not the bitter remoaner who's blaming something which didn't happen on Brexit for the reason I claim that I can't buy anything I wouldn't have done anyway.....

I'm just about to pop into another supermarket, I'll let you know what they have ;)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

At least there's still pineapple in the shops to go on that gammon.
:thumbup:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I really think the biggest change if we rejoined the EU would be on this thread, and others like it. People blaming stuff on leaving, other people disputing stuff. All that would happen is that the arguments would reverse, people would blame stuff on re-joining, other people would dispute stuff

FFS get over it. We left, re-joining isn't an option, and shit happens, both inside and outside the EU. Blaming people for the shit doesn't make it smell any nicer.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:00 pm I must remember to take some photos in my local (euroland) veg shop of all the fecking massive piles of tomatoes we have access to.
So not entirely sure what this "poor weather in Europe" excuse means. Sounds like bollocks.
No problems here either. In fact, the village is about to see the completion of its second solar-powered indoor farm which will produce year-round fruit and veg.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:39 am At least there's still pineapple in the shops to go on that gammon.
:thumbup:
Lol :mrgreen:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Hoonercat wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:45 am
DefTrap wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:00 pm I must remember to take some photos in my local (euroland) veg shop of all the fecking massive piles of tomatoes we have access to.
So not entirely sure what this "poor weather in Europe" excuse means. Sounds like bollocks.
No problems here either. In fact, the village is about to see the completion of its second solar-powered indoor farm which will produce year-round fruit and veg.
Aren't all farms solar powered? :D

'cept maybe mushroom ones I suppose.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Plenty of tomatoes in the market last Monday.

I'm not in the EU. :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

There is a whiff of bullshit about this weather thing. Some weeks ago I heard a chap from Thanet Earth saying they were ramping up imports rather than use the heating - although they do have CHP, so maybe it's more £ to sell the power? Labour problems too. It's not that long ago £320,000 worth of toms went to compost because they hadn't got the labour.

Maybe what we're seeing is the normal level of imports and nothing home grown on the shelves?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:42 am
FFS get over it. shit happens,
Ahem ;)

Remember An Gof!

:D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:03 pm Plenty of tomatoes in the market last Monday.

I'm not in the EU. :lol:
Turkey does grow quite a few (12.61M tonnes of them) :lol:

I remember passing through an area and it was polythene as far as the eye could see. (Poss. near Beldibi? Can't exactly remember...but it was a bit :shock: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Ant

Post by Ant »

Been to Asda, no shortage anywhere. I even bought tomatos although I don't even need them. I bought them for the sake of the remoaners.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Tomorrow, visit them all, and take & post some pics?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:11 pm Tomorrow, visit them all, and take & post some pics?
I might do just that and post photos of me naked, covered in tomatos and lettuces, cucumbers by my nob and grapes hanging out of my bum.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:15 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:42 am
FFS get over it. shit happens,
Ahem ;)

Remember An Gof!

:D
I prefer to think of the parallel with Ukraine. Big nasty England bullying poor little Cornwall. :D
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Ant wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:16 pm
Horse wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:11 pm Tomorrow, visit them all, and take & post some pics?
I might do just that and post photos of me naked, covered in tomatos and lettuces, cucumbers by my nob and grapes hanging out of my bum.
That's fine, just don't get too pleased to be there, you might block out the higher shelves
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:10 pm There is a whiff of bullshit about this weather thing. Some weeks ago I heard a chap from Thanet Earth saying they were ramping up imports rather than use the heating - although they do have CHP, so maybe it's more £ to sell the power? Labour problems too. It's not that long ago £320,000 worth of toms went to compost because they hadn't got the labour.

Maybe what we're seeing is the normal level of imports and nothing home grown on the shelves?
I think there's a multitude of reasons, and it's not just tomatoes that are effected. According to the Guardian
The president of the National Farmers’ Union (NFU), Minette Batters, told the union’s annual conference on Tuesday that “domestic production of salad, including cucumbers and tomatoes, has fallen to its lowest level since records began in 1985”.
This has led to UK retailers being more reliant on Spain and Morocco than they would usually be, but adverse weather has cut their production. Another issue is that the Netherlands, like the UK, have also cut winter production due to high energy costs, and Germany, the 2nd largest importer of tomatoes on the planet, usually imports over 50% of its tommies from the Netherlands, so they're now more reliant on other countries while providing a much bigger market (over twice the import value of the UK). Add in France, the 3rd largest importer in the world, neighbour to Spain and Morocco's most important tommie export destination and you can see why the UK market isn't as important financially or as attractive logistically, in the case of Morocco.