If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Ant

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Ant »

Supermarkets I've been into today all look the same, tons of fruit and veg as they always do. In fact I did buy tomatoes too, all the usual ones we buy, salad tomatoes, cherry plum tomatoes, no shortage that I could see.
Felix

Re: If we were to rejoin the EU tomorrow, what benefits would you miss most about Brexit?

Post by Felix »

Fuck. Still Greetin :lol:
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Docca wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 2:39 pm

I wouldn't mind paying extra for non-seasonal food, but massively appreciate i'm in a position some are not.

Brexit keeps on giving. If you still believe we're better off post-Brexit, then I truly believe nothing in the world will ever worry you
I see the Scunthorpe coke oven people have Brexited their own jobs away.

It's what they voted for, they knew what they were voting for.

:D
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

One could argue that assorted govts have sold those jobs to an Indian billionaire. When I become Obergruppen Fhurer of England some industries will not be allowed to be sold abroad. Most other countries (USA, France, etc) manage to do that.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:14 pm One could argue that assorted govts have sold those jobs to an Indian billionaire. When I become Obergruppen Fhurer of England some industries will not be allowed to be sold abroad. Most other countries (USA, France, etc) manage to do that.
Sunak?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:14 pm When I become Obergruppen Fhurer of England some industries will not be allowed to be sold abroad. Most other countries (USA, France, etc) manage to do that.
I doubt some people realise.

"EDF Energy is the distribution arm of French part-state-owned giant EDF. EDF is one of the largest distribution network operators in the UK, after taking control of British Energy.

npower is owned by the German company Innogy and is the third-largest energy company in the UK. npower (through Innogy) is currently owned by E.ON, although tariffs continue to be sold under the npower brand.

E.ON is also German owned"
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Horse wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:14 pm When I become Obergruppen Fhurer of England some industries will not be allowed to be sold abroad. Most other countries (USA, France, etc) manage to do that.

"EDF Energy is the distribution arm of French part-state-owned giant EDF. EDF is one of the largest distribution network operators in the UK, after taking control of British Energy.

npower is owned by the German company Innogy and is the third-largest energy company in the UK. npower (through Innogy) is currently owned by E.ON, although tariffs continue to be sold under the npower brand.

I thought everyone knew EDF was French!! I didn't know about npower - but I stopped caring a long time ago when I knew I was moving away! And also, had to stop reading when I found out the Severn Bridge was owned by the French! Paying the French to get IN to Wales?? Double insult!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Horse wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:27 pm

Trains and buses are also a good one.
Docca

Post by Docca »

Ant wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:43 pm Supermarkets I've been into today all look the same, tons of fruit and veg as they always do. In fact I did buy tomatoes too, all the usual ones we buy, salad tomatoes, cherry plum tomatoes, no shortage that I could see.
How many supermarkets do you visit a day?

Also, I’d suspect you’d say everything was ok til the very end.

Even if your patch is ok, here ( East Hampshire) is empty. Plus, more supermarkets have joined the rationing.

Brexit continues to fuck us.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Tomatoes meh.
You’ll all be out panic buying petrol again soon and then crying that there is none left at the pumps and it’s been brexited away.
irie

Post by irie »

Docca wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:47 pm
Ant wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:43 pm Supermarkets I've been into today all look the same, tons of fruit and veg as they always do. In fact I did buy tomatoes too, all the usual ones we buy, salad tomatoes, cherry plum tomatoes, no shortage that I could see.

Even if your patch is ok, here ( East Hampshire) is empty. Plus, more supermarkets have joined the rationing.

I understand that some vegetables imported into the UK such as tomatoes and cucumbers are largely grown in Portugal and southern Spain which have been hit with unusually cold weather. Which as everyone knows is caused by Brexit.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Horse

Post by Horse »

irie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:31 pm I understand that some vegetables imported into the UK such as tomatoes and cucumbers are largely grown in Portugal and southern Spain which have been hit with unusually cold weather. Which as everyone knows is caused by Brexit.
I suppose reading the thread is optional :)
DefTrap wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 3:00 pm I must remember to take some photos in my local (euroland) veg shop of all the fecking massive piles of tomatoes we have access to.
So not entirely sure what this "poor weather in Europe" excuse means. Sounds like bollocks.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Docca

Post by Docca »

irie wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:31 pm

I understand that some vegetables imported into the UK such as tomatoes and cucumbers are largely grown in Portugal and southern Spain which have been hit with unusually cold weather. Which as everyone knows is caused by Brexit.
Yeah, this has been widely debunked by people posting plentiful fruit and veg from Spain, Portugal- France etc.

Survey of people who voted for Brexit and don’t read however … 😀

There is a local market tomorrow. I’ll try there.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

The more difficult end of any supply chain is also the most affected when somethings not quite working properly.

I suspect we are currently at the more difficult (self inflicted) end of the supply chain so an issue that causes only slight problems in Europe where the supply chain works faster and is more efficient ends up a bit shit at the clunky post Brexit UK end.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

An increased dependency on imports has arisen as UK growers have stopped growing because of energy costs. Apparently they haven't been granted any energy subsidies - clearly food security is less important than stuffing the coffers ready for the election.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

I think it’s nothing more sinister than incompetence, but if I was a conspiracy theorist then I’d be fairly sure that there is a plot to kill off poor and old people.

This government is genuinely the most corrupt and incompetent that I’ve seen in my lifetime. The last two years have given us a literal circus of clowns.

Boris actually started off ok but he was crushed by bankers, big business and eventually his own incompetence.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Actually when I say ‘government’ I suppose I really mean the establishment.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I do about three of them as I like variety. I can't bolster your "life is shit oh woe is me" attitude just because I'm happy and you're not.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Slow death of the UK by increments. First they came for our tomatoes etc.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:48 am Slow death of the UK by increments. First they came for our tomatoes etc.
Wait until next January and the customs checks the UK have postponed are introduced. "Good news for the UK economy, we've managed to import 5 cucumbers today with customs officials promising another 3 will be processed tomorrow." With the BBC reporting that none of this has anything to do with Brexit and Screwdriver saying it's an EU plan to destroy the UK by treating it the same as any other country that isn't in the club.