Motorcycle Roadcraft - new edition?

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Hot_Air

Motorcycle Roadcraft - new edition?

Post by Hot_Air »

Exciting news! :shhh: I heard a rumour that - wait for it - there may be a new edition of Motorcycle Roadcraft published this year.

If this rumour doesn’t give you a frisson of excitement, what will? In the words of Samuel Johnson: “When a rider is tired of Roadcraft, they are tired of life, for there is in Roadcraft all that motorcycling life can afford.”

I wonder what passé advice will Hendon shuffle out of the blue book. And what should be added?
Horse

Re: Motorcycle Roadcraft - new edition?

Post by Horse »

Ask Spin ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Is @The Spin Doctor a contributioner to revising the motorcycling bible?
Horse

Post by Horse »

He might tell you what's missing :)
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Has he got a lot of insight :) to add?

Recently, I was having a quick squiz through the blue book (triennial retest on the horizon). And it’s better than I remember.

Some of the golden nuggets are easy to miss (unless you’ve got good observation :mrgreen: ). It has some good stuff about ye olde SMIDSY but only devotes a page or so to it! Yet we get an entire chapter about motorway riding; maybe that’s more important if you’re a bike cop routinely doing 150 mph on the motorway. It seems tricky – perhaps impossible – for any book to cover what’s what from IAM to police pursuit riding.

Do you think @The Spin Doctor would ever consider writing a book? :lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:14 pm Has he got a lot of insight :) to add?
:) Well done
Do you think @The Spin Doctor would ever consider writing a book? :lol:
'A' book? Where did you get a daft idea like? :)
exportman

Post by exportman »

Hot_Air wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:14 pm It seems tricky – perhaps impossible – for any book to cover what’s what from IAM to police pursuit riding.
Hence the IAM produce their own book and only recommend/require reading Roadcraft for National Observer and Masters.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

True. I should have said He Who Cannot Be Named* not the IAM, shouldn’t I?

* RoSPA
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

exportman wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:23 pm
Hence the IAM produce their own book
...which had some remarkably similar photo sequences to the 'Survival Skills' CDROM I used to sell at the time.

I love a bit of flattering imitation :)
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

Hot_Air wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:15 pm Exciting news! :shhh: I heard a rumour that - wait for it - there may be a new edition of Motorcycle Roadcraft published this year.

I wonder what passé advice will Hendon shuffle out of the blue book.

Updates for this new edition include a new overtaking chapter with separate sections on passing stationary vehicles, single stage overtakes, and multi-stage overtakes and new explanations of advanced concepts, such as limit points on left-hand bends.

Bit worrying that they still have to develop how they explain these things ...

I wonder whether the Surprise Horizon' makes an appearance (sic) as a limit point?
The Spin Doctor

I am usually the one accused of over-complicating things but do you really need to distinguish between single and multi-stage overtakes?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I found it helpful to distinguish between single- and three-stage overtakes because it helped make my overtakes safer. Crucially, I was under instruction on the road. The book helped significantly, but nothing replaces on-road training.
Motorcycle Roadcraft 2020 wrote: The following pages describe two overtaking situations:
  • a single-stage overtake where you're about to overtake immediately (approaching, overtaking and returning to your own side of the road) in one continuous movement
  • a three-stage overtake where other hazards require you to take up a following position before you can safely overtake.
While you could read the chapter about overtaking as formulaic, it's real value was helping me to get more out of my on-road training (just like Spin's course notes). And I've found 3-stage overtaking invaluable (and safer) on rural roads.

More broadly, the 2020 edition seems a decent update of Motorcycle Roadcraft. But I wish the editor had condensed it!
Last edited by Hot_Air on Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:43 pm I am usually the one accused of over-complicating things but do you really need to distinguish between single and multi-stage overtakes?
Someone on another (now defunct) board created a spreadsheet and did some sums. Gist of the results were that for the single (aka 'momentum' overtake, you have to commit earlier due to the speed differential.

And that's all the detail I remember:)
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Yes, I've more safety with 3-stage overtakes because I don't have to commit early. If the overtake isn't on, then I can usually return to my side of the road smoothly and undramatically.

But single-stage-overtakes require an early commitment, and on rural roads, this can be too early. And mid-overtake, calling it off can require more dramatic action.
The Spin Doctor

Hot_Air wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:51 pm But single-stage-overtakes require an early commitment
Why?

You can take as long as you like. It's the SPEED differential that leads to a commitment from a way back. If you use a modest passing speed (as opposed to the mad idea that you 'overtake as fast as possible' which is what commits you FROM way back) you not only move out nice and early which gives you a good view can bail out at the last moment if you have to - then you accelerate ONCE COMMITTED and not before.

If you overtake from close behind where your speed is matching the vehicle you're overtaking, you a) have to pop out to make your final visual check and b) you have to build speed to make the pass and that also takes time.
The Spin Doctor

Horse wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:43 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:43 pm I am usually the one accused of over-complicating things but do you really need to distinguish between single and multi-stage overtakes?
Someone on another (now defunct) board created a spreadsheet and did some sums. Gist of the results were that for the single (aka 'momentum' overtake, you have to commit earlier due to the speed differential.

And that's all the detail I remember:)
And if I remember right, there were some assumptions in there about the passing speed.

Memorably, I bailed out of a 'momentum' overtake almost alongside the vehicle I was lining up to pass when a Lamborghini came round the corner I was overtaking towards at a crazy speed - probably well over 100 mph. I only managed that because I wasn't carrying a big speed differential into the overtake.

The quicker you approach, the further back you're committed from. Had I been accelerating hard to get out into that overtake instead of carrying about 5 mph into it, I may not have got out of trouble.

In any case it all depends on how fast your bike accelerates. You'll struggle to accelerate with any rapidity from 40 to 60 on my 26hp CB250RS but having reached 50, it'll easily hold it on a momentum overtake.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Spin, I think we’re into semantics. What you’re describing as a single-stage overtake seems like a kind of multi-stage overtake. Perhaps it’s a hybrid :) But overtaking is tricky to discuss in words, and better conveyed on the road.

Either way, I find three-stage overtaking an extremely useful tool in my toolbox. (But not the only overtaking tool.)
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:04 pm If you overtake from close behind where your speed is matching the vehicle you're overtaking, you a) have to pop out to make your final visual check and b) you have to build speed to make the pass and that also takes time.
I never said anything about “close behind”, did I? Usually, I prefer to make a visual check from the offside. The world can look different from the offside, and I like to have this view before accelerating. Also, building speed happens in a blink on many bikes (including mine). On a slower bike, it’s a different world. And I’ll take account of time requirements in my forward planning. As with many things in life, timing is everything :)
The Spin Doctor

Hot_Air wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:31 pm Spin, I think we’re into semantics. What you’re describing as a single-stage overtake seems like a kind of multi-stage overtake. Perhaps it’s a hybrid :) But overtaking is tricky to discuss in words, and better conveyed on the road.

Either way, I find three-stage overtaking an extremely useful tool in my toolbox. (But not the only overtaking tool.)
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:04 pm If you overtake from close behind where your speed is matching the vehicle you're overtaking, you a) have to pop out to make your final visual check and b) you have to build speed to make the pass and that also takes time.
I never said anything about “close behind”, did I? Usually, I prefer to make a visual check from the offside. The world can look different from the offside, and I like to have this view before accelerating. Also, building speed happens in a blink on many bikes (including mine). On a slower bike, it’s a different world. And I’ll take account of time requirements in my forward planning. As with many things in life, timing is everything :)
I understand a 'three stage overtake' to be from 1 second back - that's how it was explained to me by a RoSPA examiner / police rider. See a possible opportunity, move up to the 'following position', move out to double check then go. So that 1 second position is pretty close to my mind, given that you should be aiming for a 3 second gap at 50 mph. And the closer you get the more it cuts your view. And it also cuts the view of YOU from the perspective of someone coming the other way - hence the 'pop-out' effect.

Moving out early gives you the view you are looking for, and opens up the line of sight from the opposite direction.

The only reason that we have these debates is because of the obsession with 'progress' and getting overtakes in. Maybe it's because I spent 16 years riding around overtaking everything I could to shave a few seconds off the delivery time, and so squeeze another job into a day's work that I have a more restrained view of overtaking now. Even as a courier, my primary aim was never to get from A to B in a rush, but to ensure that I got to the delivery point - only that way would I be in a position to pick up the next job.

If you use longer straights for overtakes, you don't need to despatch them with any sort of acceleration, but simply carry the speed you already had into the pass. It doesn't work everywhere... but it works a damn site more often than riders who are in a rush seem to realise.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

I agree about the emphasis on ‘progress’. It makes complete sense for the emergency services, but it’s less necessary for the rest of us. Although hasn’t the IAM reduced this emphasis?

Incidentally, counter-steering gets its own section in the latest edition of Motorcycle Roadcraft.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

If we didn't progress, it could lead to long tailbacks. A vehicle doing 10mph under speed limit needs to be overtaken for the sake of following traffic. Imo.
Yamaha rocket 3