In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: In todays news...

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:09 am Was the body in the Nicola Bulley case found past the search area covered by SGI? On the news they said it was possible that as the river is tidal, she may have been taken out into the sea and brought back in again? That's kind of at odds with what SGI said about the rivers tidal flow and how a body would be in it? Still think there's more to come out of this...
I don't know exactly where they searched, but I do know the area well and the river (IME) tends not to push things (like a body?) back up the river from that point. At that point it's not big enough for weird eddy currents that could lob a body a few hundred meters up the river, and in normal circumstances I'm not sure the tide is enough to push a heavy body back up there against the flow, IMHO.

My guess is that she walked up there and got in at that point.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

TBF I've never really considered if beastiality is legal or not...s'not really the law which is preventing me from engaging. :lol:

It's the fact animals don't find me attractive.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Hoonercat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:33 am Lockheed make up 0.27% of Blackrock's portfolio and 0.3% of Vanguard's. Hardly worth the effort of starting a war.
Not to mention Blackrock's holdings in Russia plumetting from $18.2bn before the invasion to $1bn post-invasion...
Yes you can interpret those numbers in many ways to spin the narrative which in this case is that their combined top three shareholding is a tiny proportion of their total wealth.

The other way of looking at it is that this massive investment and operational leverage they have strategically acquired in military equipment represents such a small proportion of the total because they own so much of the planet already. They have a finger in every pie.

How much are they going to make out of the reconstruction? I find it extraordinary that Zelensky has already been courted by these profit mongers. The whole thing stinks and the Biden involvement is the turd on top of a shit pie.
irie

Post by irie »

Dermot Murnaghan on Sky News live just said that Nicola Bulley was a "terribly ill person".

What utter scumbags the media are.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:15 pm

I don't know exactly where they searched, but I do know the area well and the river (IME) tends not to push things (like a body?) back up the river from that point. At that point it's not big enough for weird eddy currents that could lob a body a few hundred meters up the river, and in normal circumstances I'm not sure the tide is enough to push a heavy body back up there against the flow, IMHO.

My guess is that she walked up there and got in at that point.
Friend of mine was found in the (not fast flowing, certainly not tidal) river, quite close to where he was last known to be (bag and phone etc found). it happens, these search parties have a lot of ground to cover. In his case of course it didn't make the national news because geezers in their 40s 'with issues' going missing just doesn't really trigger the public interest. Similarly took over a week before he was found by a passer-by.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Isn't it something grim along the lines of you start floating after about a week?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:26 pm Isn't it something grim along the lines of you start floating after about a week?
I'm sure the guy from SGI said 3-5 days normally but it depends on water temperature? Speaking of him, I heard today his team only covered a further 200 meters from where she supposedly went in? Given she was found 1600 meters down from that spot, it kinda rubbished his theory that the tidal flow wouldn't moved her body far. Unless of course she simply went in further down? But then why were her phone and dog a mile back there? I struggle to believe she was so pissed that she took her kids to school, walked the dog attended a teams meeting then left her phone on the bench and her dog behind and walked a mile downstream and fell in? But then, sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction, right?
Horse

Post by Horse »

Article from BBC today:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-64712383

Nicola Bulley: Why can it take so long to find bodies?

There has been a lot of focus on Peter Faulding, the private search contractor who works with police forces around the UK.

His team volunteered to help Lancashire Police, and he said on joining the search: "If Nicola is here, I'm happy we will find her, if she's in the river.

"If we can't find her in the next three or four days in this river... then I'm confident that she's not in this stretch of river."

Mr Faulding has since defended the work he carried out in a statement on Facebook,

He said his company had indeed searched the part of the riverbed where the body was later found in reeds.

But it is important to understand what kind of search Mr Faulding's team were conducting.

They were using a piece of kit called side-scan sonar which is regularly used in searches to build up a picture of a river bed.
Crucially, Mr Faulding says sonar would never be used to search reeds by the side of a river because it would not penetrate them.

Such a search would have to be manual riverbank and wading search.

"My previous comments saying that if Nicola was in the river, I would find her, still stand," the forensic search expert said.

We do not know if the police or any other team carried out that manual search of the critical area or had been tasked to.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
McNab

Post by McNab »

Horse wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:20 am
"My previous comments saying that if Nicola was in the river, I would find her, still stand," the forensic search expert said.
She was and he didn't.

Or is he saying she was placed in the river after he finished his search?
Horse

Post by Horse »

McNab wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:45 am
Diver man wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:20 am
She was and he didn't.

I understood it to mean that police would have been aware of the limitations of the equipment that was being used, i.e.:
- open water search capabilities
- not suitable for reeds, etc.
With the implication that, if the police were aware and understood, then a separate search of the reeds should have been carried out.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 6:56 pm
Hoonercat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:33 am Lockheed make up 0.27% of Blackrock's portfolio and 0.3% of Vanguard's. Hardly worth the effort of starting a war.
Not to mention Blackrock's holdings in Russia plumetting from $18.2bn before the invasion to $1bn post-invasion...
Yes you can interpret those numbers in many ways to spin the narrative which in this case is that their combined top three shareholding is a tiny proportion of their total wealth.

The other way of looking at it is that this massive investment and operational leverage they have strategically acquired in military equipment represents such a small proportion of the total because they own so much of the planet already. They have a finger in every pie.

How much are they going to make out of the reconstruction? I find it extraordinary that Zelensky has already been courted by these profit mongers. The whole thing stinks and the Biden involvement is the turd on top of a shit pie.
I've no idea, why don't you tell me? But I'd be very confident in guessing it would be alot less than a single piece of inflationary good news from the FED, given their diversification across all sectors of the US economy.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:04 pm I struggle to believe she was so pissed that she took her kids to school, walked the dog attended a teams meeting then left her phone on the bench and her dog behind and walked a mile downstream and fell in? But then, sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction, right?
If it was suicide or something like that I suspect trying to make any logical sense of it is..well...non-sensical. As DT pointed out above, it's not that unheard of for people to just up and vanish when they have 'issues' is it?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:08 am
Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:04 pm I struggle to believe she was so pissed that she took her kids to school, walked the dog attended a teams meeting then left her phone on the bench and her dog behind and walked a mile downstream and fell in? But then, sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction, right?
If it was suicide or something like that I suspect trying to make any logical sense of it is..well...non-sensical. As DT pointed out above, it's not that unheard of for people to just up and vanish when they have 'issues' is it?
As there's no evidence that it was suicide (no note?) I hope they come to an 'open' conclusion ie possibly accident. Otherwise the family will have difficulty with the insurance company which, right now, I guess they don't need them getting all 'catch 22' on any claim.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

So much for economic forecasts! :lol:
In the final set of public borrowing figures before Jeremy Hunt delivers his Spring Budget, the Office for National Statistics (ONS) said the Government received £5.4bn more in taxes in January than it spent on public services.

This is much higher than the £8bn deficit forecast by economists and £5bn larger than forecast by the Office for Budget Responsibility (OBR), the Government's tax and spending watchdog.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

This is our cats reaction to Putin's 1hr 50min snooze fest in Moscow today. Can't say I disagree with them.
Attachments
Screenshot_20230221_142019_WhatsApp~2.jpg
Screenshot_20230221_142019_WhatsApp~2.jpg (144.63 KiB) Viewed 182 times
McNab

Post by McNab »

Horse wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:53 am
Diver man wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 7:20 am
She was and he didn't.

I understood it to mean that police would have been aware of the limitations of the equipment that was being used, i.e.:
With the implication that, if the police were aware and understood, then a separate search of the reeds should have been carried out.
But he said if she was in the river he would find her. Nothing about as long a she was in open water, the gear not suitable for reeds (which I assume he knew were there) and that he'd need police assistance for the areas his machines didn't cover.

I get it's not an easy job that I could never grasp the complications of, but to keep saying he would have found her if she was in the river is blatantly wrong. She was in the river and he didn't find her.
Horse

Post by Horse »

McNab wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:37 pm

She was and he didn't.

But he said if she was in the river he would find her. Nothing about as long a she was in open water, the gear not suitable for reeds (which I assume he knew were there) and that he'd need police assistance for the areas his machines didn't cover.

I get it's not an easy job that I could never grasp the complications of, but to keep saying he would have found her if she was in the river is blatantly wrong. She was in the river and he didn't find her.
Tell him, not me :)
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Meh, just call him a pedo and move on.
McNab

Post by McNab »

Horse wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:27 pm
McNab wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:37 pm

Tell him, not me :)
:lol: