In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: In todays news...

Post by irie »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:56 pm
irie wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:47 pm Almost certainly the body of Nicola Bulley has finally been found. But why did the Lancs police publish private information about her having problems with alcohol and being menopausal when they had no right to do so? Lancs police must be prosecuted for breach of privacy laws.
Apparently is was to stop a someone selling the story to the press.
As I understand it, in disclosing this information the police have committed a criminal offence.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

cheb wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:28 pm If the SNP could offer a single argument for independence that wasn't exactly echoed by a Brexit argument they might be worth taking seriously.
It's possible to look at that through the other end of the telescope I reckon.
irie

Post by irie »

demographic wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:16 pm
cheb wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:28 pm If the SNP could offer a single argument for independence that wasn't exactly echoed by a Brexit argument they might be worth taking seriously.
It's possible to look at that through the other end of the telescope I reckon.
You mean with Nelson's right eye? :lol:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

irie wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:13 pm
irie wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:47 pm Almost certainly the body of Nicola Bulley has finally been found. But why did the Lancs police publish private information about her having problems with alcohol and being menopausal when they had no right to do so? Lancs police must be prosecuted for breach of privacy laws.
As I understand it, in disclosing this information the police have committed a criminal offence.
It stinks of people with an agenda desperately trying to find any excuse to discredit the police.
Ant

Post by Ant »

I wonder if it was released with agreement with her husband to keep the gutter press out?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mussels wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:54 pm

It stinks of people with an agenda desperately trying to find any excuse to discredit the police.
No, they're perfectly capable of doing that themselves.
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:54 pm
The police are successfully discrediting themselves without any external help.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Beaten by Ant. What is the World coming to? :D
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

demographic wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:34 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:32 pm Kyiv seems to be becoming the destination for politicians who run out of babies to kiss.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64668096
Aye, its where Boris goes whenever he needs a bit of a PR boost.
They're just following the money. Eyewatering amounts of money, nominally being "sent to Ukraine" when in reality, "we" are spending it on their behalf.

Ukraine is notorious for being one of if not the most corrupt westernised countries on this planet and this proxy war hasn't tamed that back one iota. Quite the opposite. Zelensky has "unburdened" himself from his former mentor/patron/oligarch (Ihor Kolomoyskyi) so that he can make a deal (already) with his new friends, our old friends, BlackRock, Vanguard etc.

I know I keep banging this drum but it is important to note that BlackRock and Vanguard are two of the largest shareholders of Lockheed Martin, the largest weapons manufacturer in the USA.

Thank goodness I am wearing my tinfoil hat, otherwise I might conclude this war is being engineered on their behalf in the pursuit of filthy lucre. So many world events are now being guided not by political decision making but by corporate "lobbying" (bribery). Surely there will come a point when it becomes so obvious, everyone will see it and the tide will turn in public opinion despite the lies being perpetrated by mainstream media.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:48 am
Thank goodness I am wearing my tinfoil hat, otherwise I might conclude this war is being engineered on their behalf
What should the West's response have been instead? [From invasion day 1 onward]
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The more things change, the more they stay the same. No tinfoil hat required to recognise what was first referenced in 1947. Whatever the rights and wrongs of either side, wars are generally economic.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military% ... %20policy.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:41 am The more things change, the more they stay the same. No tinfoil hat required to recognise what was first referenced in 1947. Whatever the rights and wrongs of either side, wars are generally economic.
The UK only finished paying off the US for WWII loans a few years ago.

I wonder what deals and agreements are in place now for Ukraine?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:54 am
Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:41 am The more things change, the more they stay the same. No tinfoil hat required to recognise what was first referenced in 1947. Whatever the rights and wrongs of either side, wars are generally economic.
The UK only finished paying off the US for WWII loans a few years ago.

I wonder what deals and agreements are in place now for Ukraine?
As an aside, the UK has a 2 year 'shelf life' on munitions (inc the big naval stuff). The US has 4 years...so they buy a lot of our outdated stock. (If it's kept properly the useful life is much longer but accuracy deteriorates as the propellant degrades. Well kept WWII stuff would still work. Apparently we like to use less, but be accurate as opposed to use lots and 'spray and pray'. So, UK manufactured stuff is also more expensive to make but we use less of it and ditch it after 2 years if not used, the US is more cheaply produced, kept longer but when they do use it they use more).

(Watched the Warship programme - on a 9 month tour they had to swap out a load of ammunition as it was 'out of date'. Why didn't they take ammo that would have lasted the voyage? :hmmm: If they'd got into any fisticuffs they'd fire everything they've got...but it's not good enough to practice with :wtf: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:41 am The more things change, the more they stay the same. No tinfoil hat required to recognise what was first referenced in 1947. Whatever the rights and wrongs of either side, wars are generally economic.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military% ... %20policy.
In December last year in the "Will Russia invade the Ukraine?" thread:
irie wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 10:05 pm Putin has fucked up. Big time. The question is how will he try to get out of it. If he doesn't first die/have an accident/retire through illl health/WHY.

US industrial power vs Russian industrial power. And China won't help, it's too dependant on manufacturing for the US market and therefore afraid of potential US sanctions.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 4:48 am
demographic wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:34 pm
Mussels wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:32 pm Kyiv seems to be becoming the destination for politicians who run out of babies to kiss.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-64668096
Aye, its where Boris goes whenever he needs a bit of a PR boost.
They're just following the money. Eyewatering amounts of money, nominally being "sent to Ukraine" when in reality, "we" are spending it on their behalf.

Ukraine is notorious for being one of if not the most corrupt westernised countries on this planet and this proxy war hasn't tamed that back one iota. Quite the opposite. Zelensky has "unburdened" himself from his former mentor/patron/oligarch (Ihor Kolomoyskyi) so that he can make a deal (already) with his new friends, our old friends, BlackRock, Vanguard etc.

I know I keep banging this drum but it is important to note that BlackRock and Vanguard are two of the largest shareholders of Lockheed Martin, the largest weapons manufacturer in the USA.

Thank goodness I am wearing my tinfoil hat, otherwise I might conclude this war is being engineered on their behalf in the pursuit of filthy lucre.
So many world events are now being guided not by political decision making but by corporate "lobbying" (bribery). Surely there will come a point when it becomes so obvious, everyone will see it and the tide will turn in public opinion despite the lies being perpetrated by mainstream media.
Lockheed make up 0.27% of Blackrock's portfolio and 0.3% of Vanguard's. Hardly worth the effort of starting a war.
Not to mention Blackrock's holdings in Russia plumetting from $18.2bn before the invasion to $1bn post-invasion...
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Was the body in the Nicola Bulley case found past the search area covered by SGI? On the news they said it was possible that as the river is tidal, she may have been taken out into the sea and brought back in again? That's kind of at odds with what SGI said about the rivers tidal flow and how a body would be in it? Still think there's more to come out of this...
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:09 am Was the body in the Nicola Bulley case found past the search area covered by SGI? On the news they said it was possible that as the river is tidal, she may have been taken out into the sea and brought back in again? That's kind of at odds with what SGI said about the rivers tidal flow and how a body would be in it? Still think there's more to come out of this...
What are you saying? That a search failed to find a body?

Or that dead people are learning to swim?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:09 am Was the body in the Nicola Bulley case found past the search area covered by SGI? On the news they said it was possible that as the river is tidal, she may have been taken out into the sea and brought back in again? That's kind of at odds with what SGI said about the rivers tidal flow and how a body would be in it? Still think there's more to come out of this...
But it doesn't matter, she's still dead, and finding someone to blame for not finding the body won't bring her back, or make her her family miss her any less.
Honda Owner
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:53 am
But it doesn't matter, she's still dead, and finding someone to blame for not finding the body won't bring her back, or make her her family miss her any less.
It matters very much imo. Family would have been through hell with this. Misinformation. False hope. Reputation trashed. etc.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

What mattered more, her reputation or improving the chances of finding her alive?