What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

What a bloody day!! Went in early so I could nip out to see a friend (his cafe had to close for a week, reopened yesterday but I wasn't here, so popped in this morning). Totally needed to go out as the bloody computer connections weren't working and both the computer and the printer neqrly went out the window!! (Ok, probqbly not possible one handed, but I was close to trying!!) Only popped out for 15 mins and back in. Sorted the connection and then, bloody hell!!

Non stop phone calls from 8:30 to 16:30!! About 3 were english. And OMG some people are stupid!

cqn you do q trqnsfer tomorrow? The response of "no, we're fully booked" is met with various versions of this -

What about earlier?
Tell me when you are available?
Who do you recommend? (we don't because everyone is fully booked this close to the busiest saturday in the season - so we tell them to google taxis for la plagne and try their luck!!)

The absolute best? "Well, how am I going to get from the station to my apartment?" - you know what matey? I don't know and by that point in the day I really didn't care!! LOL

I didn't stop for lunch as there was so much to do but I think I'm finishing early tomorrow for the Rugby, so not an issue.

16:00 - one of the drivers for tomorrow calls in sick. Don't think me or the boss are convinced, but now I am doing a seriously long day tomorrow and missing both rugby matches :( :( Bollox!!!

Oh well, I'm very proud I was able to deal with all the french (and the fuckwit brit seasonaire that booked but didn't pay for a taxi, didn't respond to calls, texts or emails for two hours before the time of the booking and then phoned to ask where we were!!! Luckily the driver hadn't been booked for anything else!!!)

But damn it's tiring! It's gonna be kinda nice to chat in English all day tomorrow. But, still proud!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I've posted a couple of times on here, liked a couple of comments and it's only 9am - which is a record for the last few months.

I've been quiet all round - not contacting friends or posting anywhere on the internet. I've wondered why myself, but couldn't work it out so decided that it didn't matter as I'm not depressed. As most of you know, my Mum died last July which left a massive hole in my life as I was pretty much a full time carer so you could say that "I've been finding myself" but that sounds a bit dramatic as I've just been sat at home, crocheting and waiting for spring.

I've been tinkering with the new bike and I've put over 1,000 miles on it since October and spent almost as many hours trying to keep it clean.

I trust everyone here is good and well :thumbup:
Lockdown refugee
Skub

Post by Skub »

Trinity765 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:06 am I've posted a couple of times on here, liked a couple of comments and it's only 9am - which is a record for the last few months.

I've been quiet all round - not contacting friends or posting anywhere on the internet. I've wondered why myself, but couldn't work it out so decided that it didn't matter as I'm not depressed. As most of you know, my Mum died last July which left a massive hole in my life as I was pretty much a full time carer so you could say that "I've been finding myself" but that sounds a bit dramatic as I've just been sat at home, crocheting and waiting for spring.

I've been tinkering with the new bike and I've put over 1,000 miles on it since October and spent almost as many hours trying to keep it clean.

I trust everyone here is good and well :thumbup:
It takes more time than you'd imagine to grieve and then recalibrate. Mostly we hide it by getting on and doing things. I'm almost a year away from my Da's passing and there are still times when I'm....reflective?

Be well.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

It was yesterday, but we took the puppy for a walk in Leigh-on-Sea. Wife stopped in shops and I dutifully waited outside, whilst just about every woman, girl and child stopped to make a fuss of the pup. I always think they’ve got a face only a mother could love, but it seems I’m wrong!

636mick

Post by 636mick »

It’s cos they is “cute”. Gotta admit I love em, but I’m a dog man through and through so I always fuss any dog.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Thought I was having a stroke whilst I was driving. Turned out it was the heated front windscreen being on! Phew! :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

636mick wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:44 am It’s cos they is “cute”. Gotta admit I love em, but I’m a dog man through and through so I always fuss any dog.
Its funny, having Jack Russells, people cross the road to avoid you. Get a Frenchie and people cross the road to meet it! :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Yesterday, after footy and beer I decided to fix the stiff garage door locks.
Obviously that went well :D

I found screws this morning all over the place ;)
The top and bottom locking pins were the problem, so plenty of oil was chucked at them.
Reassembly was fun as had no idea how it came apart.
Somehow figured it out and as good as new now. Woo hoo :D
20230213_125053.jpg
20230213_125053.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 282 times
David

Post by David »

Filled my sump hole. Successfully jacked up car with no drama and changed the pads on the /s. Tomorrow will turn it round and do tother side if the oil has stayed in.
Due for mot in just over a month, if it looks as if it will pass it gets a new sump.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Been messing around with eco mode in my car and doing sat nav enhanced "pulse and glide".

What's "pulse and glide"? Basically it takes advantage of the slightly quirky efficiency behaviour of piston engines. They're most efficient at higher loads, so you can "pulse" up to high speed and then drop into neutral, kill the engine and glide down again. Then repeat. Hypermilers have done it for years. https://www.economist.com/babbage/2010/ ... -and-glide

So my car can assist you with this automatically. It doesn't call it P & G, but that's what it is doing.

Said car has a ~25kW/200Nm electric motor on the crank which is also the generator and the starter motor. Its the mildest of mild hybrids. The transmission is a conventional slush box auto.

Driving across MK...give it mid level hoof out of the roundabout. Electric motor helps you out so it's doing nlots of the work. At 75mph come off the pedal and the engine switches itself off. The car glides supremely well, easily enough to still be doing 60 at the next roundabout 3/4 mile away.

The really clever bit is what it does next though. It knows there's a roundabout coming up via the navigation system. It waits until you're about 400yds away then drops back into gear, starts the engine and uses the leccy motor as generator. It engine brakes like you've dropped 3 cogs but it's still in 6th doing 1500rpm. You slow down to ~20mph to go around the roundabout, then use all that recovered leccy to blitz back up to 75 again.

Marvelous stuff! Very clever :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:59 pm Been messing around with eco mode in my car and doing sat nav enhanced "pulse and glide".

What's "pulse and glide"? Basically it takes advantage of the slightly quirky efficiency behaviour of piston engines. They're most efficient at higher loads, so you can "pulse" up to high speed and then drop into neutral, kill the engine and glide down again. Then repeat. Hypermilers have done it for years. https://www.economist.com/babbage/2010/ ... -and-glide

So my car can assist you with this automatically. It doesn't call it P & G, but that's what it is doing.

Said car has a ~25kW/200Nm electric motor on the crank which is also the generator and the starter motor. Its the mildest of mild hybrids. The transmission is a conventional slush box auto.

Driving across MK...give it mid level hoof out of the roundabout. Electric motor helps you out so it's doing nlots of the work. At 75mph come off the pedal and the engine switches itself off. The car glides supremely well, easily enough to still be doing 60 at the next roundabout 3/4 mile away.

The really clever bit is what it does next though. It knows there's a roundabout coming up via the navigation system. It waits until you're about 400yds away then drops back into gear, starts the engine and uses the leccy motor as generator. It engine brakes like you've dropped 3 cogs but it's still in 6th doing 1500rpm. You slow down to ~20mph to go around the roundabout, then use all that recovered leccy to blitz back up to 75 again.

Marvelous stuff! Very clever :D
What car is it?

My Ovlov is a derv auto, I found the engine breaking annoying when I got in it after driving the MB, when I drive the Merc on paddles I get better MPG than the auto (I change up much earlier), but the Ovlov don't got paddles and the only way to manual change is in 'sports' mode which holds the gears longer anyway.

I discovered the 'Eco' button on the V40, it kind of disengages the gearbox when you've been coasting for more than a few seconds... makes the derv engine breaking totally disappear, the thing will coast for miles, much much further then the SL.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:59 pm I've found a new way to make passengers car sick, it's called "pulse and glide"
I've corrected it for you.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Last night really. I took a Holy Communion service for a lady who has an operation this morning at 7.30am, she will be 101 on Thursday. Some of the joys of ministry. Just a cataract procedure, but she wished to be anointed and have Communion before going under the laser!

Today I take Holy Communion to a lady in a care home who has been dying for the last two years, but somehow has the strength of spirit to stay with us. She wants to go "home", but rejoices that she is yet able to be with her sister and family. A radiant joyful person who puts us to shame with her faith and hope.

Daughter off to uni for the first time in 4 weeks. Really hoping it goes well, her confidence is so weak at the moment, wife is going with her to help her with the train journey there and back. She is on half term and it is good timing.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Just spent the last 30 mins talking to a family of evacuees from Gaziantep. Mother and father and two small kids. My Turkish is terrible and their English wasn’t great but it seems most of the wife’s family is presumed dead. Didn’t know what to say. The sense of loss is palpable everywhere here.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:21 am Just spent the last 30 mins talking to a family of evacuees from Gaziantep. Mother and father and two small kids. My Turkish is terrible and their English wasn’t great but it seems most of the wife’s family is presumed dead. Didn’t know what to say. The sense of loss is palpable everywhere here.
Saw some of it on the news last night. The loss of life is so great it's difficult to comprehend the numbers. I saw a man crying and begging for help to recover his dead mother's body. So sad... :(
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

It's day 1 of over a months work on our house - bi-folds being fitted to wall of kitchen to the garden this week, bet its going to be cold tonight!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got offers snd accepted a pack of digestives! Can’t remember the last time I had some!

Demannu

Post by Demannu »

been doing a bit of battery gynecology today.
only difference between this and real gyne is the battery weighs 20+kgs, once you take it out you have to put a fresh one back in, and an obgyn can open the hole a fair bit!
20230214_150959.jpg
20230214_150959.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 163 times
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Demannu wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:13 pm been doing a bit of battery gynecology today.
only difference between this and real gyne is the battery weighs 20+kgs, once you take it out you have to put a fresh one back in, and an obgyn can open the hole a fair bit!
20230214_150959.jpg
Your next task is to wallpaper the hallway...

...through the letterbox.

Seriously though, don't they ever consider that batteries quite often (relatively) need to be replaced when they design these things? :eh:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:32 pm
Demannu wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 3:13 pm been doing a bit of battery gynecology today.
20230214_150959.jpg
Your next task is to wallpaper the hallway...

...through the letterbox.

Seriously though, don't they ever consider that batteries quite often (relatively) need to be replaced when they design these things? :eh:
just painted it!

as for poor design, the original merc has a larger bonnet space to drop the battery in through. this thing has a letterbox bonnet, which makes something as simple as topping up the washer fluid a major challenge!
Every year Mr MOT gives her an advisory for insecure battery, with the caveat that impossible to fall out though.