Tour de France

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
Couchy

Re: Tour de France

Post by Couchy »

chutzpah wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:17 pm I think it's very safe to say that no, it's not the fittest person who necessarily wins races.
If it’s not then how come the guy Who drugged up for years won loads ?
I think the fitness side is awesome how far they push themselves but it is a fitness contest that happens to be on bikes
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

You get the same arguments in other sports. The driver in the fastest car wins F1, the team with the most money wins the football league - yet we know that isn't always the case. Although if I was to have a hunch you're going to argue that they do.

Incidentally your example is actually quite poor. There's a fair bit of evidence that during the EPO period the riders who actually benefited most were those who started with a low haematocrit level, so could take more. Usually, those with a naturally lower haematocrit level would generally not perform as well in an endurance sport as haematocrit is a key component of transferring oxygen to the muscles. Those athletes with a naturally high haematocrit level couldn't do as much EPO without triggering test failures so didn't have such a large performance gain.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Luckily in F1 there's always 2 drivers in the fastest car so that proves the most skilled one wins. I can't see how in a fitness event skill beats the fittest or the one with the body most suited to the event. In a lot of sports the most skilled can use that advantage to offset a lower fitness level how can that be possible when the whole event is about fitness ? Not taking anything away as its awesome what they do especially if you like to see the level a human body can be pushed too but the only point I'm making is skill on two wheels won't beat fitness in this event. Other events on two wheels the skill level/bravery level comes more to the fore and that's what I prefer to watch. Long cycling events though are pretty much down to who has trained the hardest and who has the correct body type and make up to make that training count. Their commitment isn't in doubt either.
chutzpah

Post by chutzpah »

Have you watched Paris-Roubaix?
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

chutzpah wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:59 pm Have you watched Paris-Roubaix?
Or Fabian Cancellara descending.