How's the lockdown going for everyone ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: How's the lockdown going for everyone ?

Post by Taipan »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:21 am
Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 pm Don't think the old guy is wrong tbh. How is motorbike training essential? Herd immunity is the only way forward to defeat this. Viruses are static. They rely on hosts to move them. Lock everyone down. The virus kills who it can and then it dies because it can't kill the remainers, unless, they move and transport it. Seriously, every Govt advisor, expert, NHS worker is saying to stay at home, yet you're still out there doing the opposite? Sorry mate, but fair play to the old falla as far as i'm concerned.
Sheesh, you sound like our local hysterical Facebook support group.
Besides, how do we gain herd immunity, which you reckon will defeat this, if we're all locked up and don't catch it? The current plan is to spread it out over time to soften the blow on the NHS, not stop people becoming infected.
Are you above the Govts advisors? No, of course you aren't, it's certainly not your field of expertise, so it isn't hysteria it's fact. Until you realise that, you really are part of the problem. So, again, as every expert that does know what they're talking about says, don't go out. Unless Mr Longbeard of t'internet trumps Prof Chris Witty's opinion of course... :roll:
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

SKY & BT SPORTS TV SUBSCRIPTIONS

Not the most important thing at the moment , but you can now " Pause " your Sky subscription .

BT give you about three options , including donating your " credit " to an NHS Charity .

I enquired weeks ago but was fobbed off , They seem to be keeping quite a low profile on advertising the current options .

Check 'em out on-line........
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'm coming to the conclusion that these so called expert's don't know anymore than we do. The government guidelines dont work do they boris and co. Dropping like flies. They don't answer the questions, they've all got mild symptoms, " Don't panic". everyone.

How many Italian doctors have died now?? Don't think they were all old knackered folk. Personally, I feel safest at home, not mixing with anyone. I feel at risk when forced out, food shop ,chemist etc.

This 2 metre rule, is it good enough.??

My lad goes back to work Wednesday and that will increase our risk again.

Happy days.
Yamaha rocket 3
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Taipan wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:29 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 12:21 am
Taipan wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:13 pm Don't think the old guy is wrong tbh. How is motorbike training essential? Herd immunity is the only way forward to defeat this. Viruses are static. They rely on hosts to move them. Lock everyone down. The virus kills who it can and then it dies because it can't kill the remainers, unless, they move and transport it. Seriously, every Govt advisor, expert, NHS worker is saying to stay at home, yet you're still out there doing the opposite? Sorry mate, but fair play to the old falla as far as i'm concerned.
Sheesh, you sound like our local hysterical Facebook support group.
Besides, how do we gain herd immunity, which you reckon will defeat this, if we're all locked up and don't catch it? The current plan is to spread it out over time to soften the blow on the NHS, not stop people becoming infected.
Are you above the Govts advisors? No, of course you aren't, it's certainly not your field of expertise, so it isn't hysteria it's fact. Until you realise that, you really are part of the problem. So, again, as every expert that does know what they're talking about says, don't go out. Unless Mr Longbeard of t'internet trumps Prof Chris Witty's opinion of course... :roll:
Think it through Tai.
He's increased his risk of infection marginally, but it doing so has decreased the risk of several NHS workers, their decreased risk means they can potentially continue working and subsequently reduces the risk of dozens and dozens of patients every day.

We need people to still be out in the world, why on earth would we deny them a safer way of doing so?
And you don't need to be an expert to do simple comparative risk analysis, he's not training neds, he is training people that you might need to drain fluid from your lungs in a couple of weeks, unless you'd rather see them exposed on public transport.
Treadeager

Post by Treadeager »

Away from the large metropolis public transport is few and far between. In some rural areas , almost non-existent . Especially at present .
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

It’s all rather surreal. We’re used to being at home all day but it’s weird and different. As we’re in the countryside there aren’t many people walking about but the limit of going out once a day has knocked my daily run on the head as I like to go for a walk too. Small sacrifice to make though.

As it’s difficult to predict what food will be available in the supermarkets, we’re now shopping more frequently! We only used to go once every 3 weeks and just did a big shop. Now we’d be accused of stockpiling so we don’t feel comfortable doing that any more. How daft is that?

Missing the ability to just go out on the bike when it’s glorious blue sky and a nice 18c. Will appreciate it a lot more when things get back to a semblance of order.

Resisting the urge to mow the lawn as you have pace yourself and plan little things to do every day! We have done some tidying up in the garage and I’ve put the netting on my fruit bushes as they got eaten to death last year by apple moths......
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I don't think it would hurt to go out more than once, if you don't meet anyone. I'm planning a good ride on the push bikes for me and my lad. We would only go out once, but probably for about 4 hours. All country lanes.
Yamaha rocket 3
G.P

Post by G.P »

For the inside bit, I'm revisiting old music sites and finding loads of new stuff on YT. The only problem is that I like to sip a drink watching music. I just need to make sure I'm not shitfaced by 7.00pm everyday! :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

We're doing a daily walk, along with me doing some Zwift racing.

The biggest issue now is that we do need some things like Salad, cucumber, fresh stuff really. Everything else we're OK for.

I've had a bit of a 'gluten free bread' disaster today with self-raising flour... It worked really well for pancakes, but for bread, well, lets just say it's not looking bread like :)

Yoghurts and stuff like that will be needed next along with fresh fruit.

I've been organising group rides on Zwift, today we had 32 lads from singletrackworld.com all riding at the same time :) same kit, same bikes, as you'd expect, near the end of the ride things got a bit fruity and a bit racey.

Not sure what i have planned tomorow as i've got a couple of days off from riding.

Everything else is done.

Due to a bit of weight loss i've had a turfing of some day to day shorts, they're just too big and they're not getting worn again EVER !
Editor

Post by Editor »

dunno if I've placed this in the right place for thread view but the state of nation here is that, for a number of reasons, I've been pretty much off the real life social grid since early Dec & I don't do much real life social as it is. So I've had a lot of practise for isolation, which is a bit handy.

But you know, no man is really an Island and as much as virtual is excellent for the needs of my head & magpie mind, it ain't quite the same.

Small beer however in the circs.

The fiscal side of this is all is so beyond terrifying that I have planted my head into the sand. Universal Credit is borked & PIP, forget that. But whilst we never have what one might call a 'right result' on luck, somehow we get by & always have. Maybe it's not 'luck' at work at all, but there it is.

Really I 'should' be panicking & freaking out esp as I took my meds down in Jan, but that isn't happening. Really I am highly sangfroid about it all, which is something I did a lot in crisis in a previous career. Maybe skills like that don't abandon one when push comes to shove?

If Funky is right (& why wouldn't he be?) about 24 weeks, well, yeah. I reckon I can do it. Not much choice is there!

'Could be worse/ mustent grumble/ tighten belt & soldier on sunshine' prevails, & it's not as if this is the 1st time. TBH it's everyone else I worry about.

Like you sorry case of sad arses ;)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

As long as work keep paying me, I'll take 24 weeks lockdown as long as I'm alive at the end of it.

I'll be fitter, stronger and lighter than ever, missing my KTM of course and some decent downhill riding, but I'll be fine
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Our charity has over six months cash reserves to keep paying staff and continue operations abroad as well. We are very fortunate. I've had my leaving date shifted to a month later as they need my help for a bit longer.... I'm building in more exercise into my day now as I am going to get really fat and unfit if I don't do something. We are are also dealing with deaths in the local Church family and having to deal with no funeral services and just the cremation.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:15 pm I don't think it would hurt to go out more than once, if you don't meet anyone. I'm planning a good ride on the push bikes for me and my lad. We would only go out once, but probably for about 4 hours. All country lanes.
Don't be a twat. The whole world is telling folk to stay at home. Just thick cretins like you think it doesn't apply to them.

Don't be a wanker.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:46 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:15 pm I don't think it would hurt to go out more than once, if you don't meet anyone. I'm planning a good ride on the push bikes for me and my lad. We would only go out once, but probably for about 4 hours. All country lanes.
Don't be a twat. The whole world is telling folk to stay at home. Just thick cretins like you think it doesn't apply to them.

Don't be a wanker.
Ok. Easy there. The guidelines are open to interpretation and whilst I think 4 hours is excessive myself, we're not at insult stage for it.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Currently life is going on as normal, here, Im not going anywhere, next door the london luvvy theatre producer is down in the country, and seems to be having an open house and showing his visitors round the village several times a day... the village running club goes down the hill at some pace, elbows high and half an hour later goes back up the hill blowing out their arses, my dog is exhausted from barking at all the passers by....

WILL YOU ALL STAY THE FUCK AT HOME!
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Don't be a wanker.
Well, that answers any doubters...

In the UK, we are allowed out once a day for exercise with no time restriction. However, common sense MUST apply, if you live in the country and don't go anywhere near other people, then obviously you are causing no risk. Birds, farm animals and plant life cannot catch it afaik.

We do hear the stay at home slogan bouncing around but this is mainly for urban dwellers or folks without guaranteed personal space or where they may meet people and avoidance is difficult. It's a simple message to the worried or unsure what to do folk.

Its sence, but it ain't common, that's for sure. 🚴‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:54 am

Don't be a wanker.
Well, that answers any doubters...

In the UK, we are allowed out once a day for exercise with no time restriction. However, common sense MUST apply, if you live in the country and don't go anywhere near other people, then obviously you are causing no risk. Birds, farm animals and plant life cannot catch it afaik.

We do hear the stay at home slogan bouncing around but this is mainly for urban dwellers or folks without guaranteed personal space or where they may meet people and avoidance is difficult. It's a simple message to the worried or unsure what to do folk.

Its sence, but it ain't common, that's for sure. 🚴‍♂️
I'm half agreeing and half thinking wtf. I get you with the countryside aspect but think of it this way, you're 2 hours from home and one of you stuffs it in the floor and breaks an ankle, what happens then?

In between then you've touched 10 gates too getting to where you are etc.

Keep it local, keep it closer to home, 4 hours cycling even on trails you're covering 40 miles. That's not "doing a bit of exercise" that's a jolly

The NHS are now not operating on broken bones etc as they're non critical, even if the later outcome can be bad for the person, they're just patched up. Do you really want to be patched up?

No car, no gnar, not far.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The ride I had in mind was from my house on a circular route, 24 miles total. On mountain bikes 10 mph average stopping whenever, maybe a sandwich. 99% no chance of getting near anybody. Ok, maybe 2.5 hrs.

If I stay at home, I could fall down the stairs, cut myself. We cannot hide from lightning strikes.

Again, COMMON SENCE MUST APPLY.
Yamaha rocket 3
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Lockdown - pretty tiring for me so far. My work is busy with administering a lot of the financial support measures in one way or another. So working 11-12 hour days. That's one thing occasionally in the office, with dual monitors, proper desk & chair, company, unexpected interruptions etc. But quite another in daily uninterrupted stints at the dining table working from a surface pro with its teeny screen. Hoping work will organise getting screens out to the team if this goes on for a long while. Pfft. :|

Work aside it's just boring innit.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:32 am If I stay at home, I could fall down the stairs, cut myself. We cannot hide from lightning strikes.

Again, COMMON SENCE MUST APPLY.
Of course, we get that. But there's limits to it.... At the end of the day, no-one can or cannot force you. But personally i don't think the guidelines imply that a decent day out is correct. It's all down to you, but i couldn't personally accept the potential consequences.

We do of course have to interact with other humans at the moment as we cannot get a shopping delivery slot, we don't however have to put ourselves into situations that may make our life even more complex than that.