Heated clothing

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
fingerpuk

Heated clothing

Post by fingerpuk »

Being older now and going back to commuting by bike (bring it on) I’m thinking about heated gear.

Do I need Keis or will any machine washable waistcoat do? I assume none like being rained on. What do the masses say?
KungFooBob

Re: Heated clothing

Post by KungFooBob »

If you're happy to run stuff from battery (like a USB power bank) rather than the bike, then you can look at non-bike specific stuff like 'heated workwear', which is often cheaper than bike stuff like Kies.
fingerpuk

Post by fingerpuk »

Awesome. Battery is fine.
Horse

Post by Horse »

fingerpuk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:52 pm? I assume none like being rained on.
For warmth, they need to be under a windproof & waterproof jacket.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

fingerpuk wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:52 pm Being older now and going back to commuting by bike (bring it on) I’m thinking about heated gear.

Do I need Keis or will any machine washable waistcoat do? I assume none like being rained on. What do the masses say?
You wouldn’t wear a Keis or similar as an outer layer- you would wear it as a base layer.

And keis are fine - mine keeps my core nice and toasty which in turn keeps my extremities warm.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

The only problem i had with Keis is that the fleeces trends to be very bulky under your normal bike jacket, unless you buy the jacket a size too large to go over the Keis.

I have a "Warm-n-safe" wicking base layer that's is very thin, and you wear it closer to your body, so it doesn't need as much power to keep you comfy.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:35 pm The only problem i had with Keis is that the fleeces trends to be very bulky under your normal bike jacket, unless you buy the jacket a size too large to go over the Keis.
Something else to consider is if you have a zip-together suit, the waistcoat will need space.
I have a "Warm-n-safe" wicking base layer that's is very thin, and you wear it closer to your body, so it doesn't need as much power to keep you comfy.
I had an EXO2, they recommended wearing it close.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I have Gerbing heated gloves that run from the bike as charging batteries is one less thing to think about. Gerbing are the undisputed champions of the heated glove world for quality and heat, I've had my six years and they are as good as new. Keis seems to be the heated vest of choice - although I don't use heated clothing and prefer to wear quality natural fibres - wool and down with Gore-tex for keeping windproof and dry.
Lockdown refugee
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Oh and eating butter. A trick from the arctic explorer survival world. It's like turning on internal central heating. I'll have a butter rich breakfast and/or butter coffee and I'll eat a small pat of butter while out and about if I get cold - seriously - it works.
Lockdown refugee
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:06 am It's like turning on internal central heating. I'll have a butter rich breakfast and/or butter coffee and I'll eat a small pat of butter while out and about if I get cold - seriously - it works.
Have you actually tried heated clothing (not gloves)? I was shocked when I used mine how much heat it was putting out to maintain 'me' at a constant temperature. Extra butter wouldn't have achieved that.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Horse wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:14 am
Trinity765 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:06 am It's like turning on internal central heating. I'll have a butter rich breakfast and/or butter coffee and I'll eat a small pat of butter while out and about if I get cold - seriously - it works.
Have you actually tried heated clothing (not gloves)? I was shocked when I used mine how much heat it was putting out to maintain 'me' at a constant temperature. Extra butter wouldn't have achieved that.
I ride all year and have never needed heated clothing. My hands get cold as I have had Raynaud's Syndrome since I was a teenager.

Edit: learn to spell your own medical conditions :thumbup:
Last edited by Trinity765 on Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lockdown refugee
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Can I smear the butter all over my body, or does she only eating it work?
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:23 am Can I smear the butter all over my body, or does she only eating it work?
Vegans and people on low fat diets are the ones who are always complaining about being cold. People on high sugar, high carb diets are the ones getting diabetes and heart disease. Those on high (animal) fat diets are the ones who are just getting on with it.
Lockdown refugee
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:20 am
I ride all year and have never needed heated clothing. My hands get cold as I have had Raynaud's Syndrome since I was a teenager.
I used heated gloves, then grips, for many years. Bought decent thinsulate/goretex gloves when they first became affordable.

However, after getting a heated waistcoat I stopped using the heated grips.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've got RST heated gloves that run off rechargeable batteries, they're superb, the batteries last 4 hours on the low setting which is warm enough for most UK riding, the downside is they cost £170.

I've got a heated waistcoat from Amazon that's a bit of a waste of time, it doesn't get warm enough, you might as well just wear an extra layer.
Honda Owner
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Horse wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:02 am
Trinity765 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:20 am
I used heated gloves, then grips, for many years. Bought decent thinsulate/goretex gloves when they first became affordable.

However, after getting a heated waistcoat I stopped using the heated grips.
More and more of my friends are getting heated vests - if I got one, I probably couldn't go back so I'm just holding out for as long as I can.
Lockdown refugee
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:56 am
More and more of my friends are getting heated vests - if I got one, I probably couldn't go back so I'm just holding out for as long as I can.
I didn't believe they could be any good. Wish I'd paid up much sooner.

See whether you can borrow one (might need the bike with power lead too), to see what you think, whether they're worth the money. But start saving now ;)
Skub

Post by Skub »

I've only ever used Keis,so I can't comment on other gear. I have a heated gilet and heated gloves,both are a delight and something I wish I'd had years ago.

I usually run them direct from the bike,but use a battery instead sometimes. The battery is fine with just one item,but doesn't appear to put out the same heat when using gloves and gilet.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:02 am I have Gerbing heated gloves that run from the bike as charging batteries is one less thing to think about. Gerbing are the undisputed champions of the heated glove world for quality and heat, I've had my six years and they are as good as new. Keis seems to be the heated vest of choice - although I don't use heated clothing and prefer to wear quality natural fibres - wool and down with Gore-tex for keeping windproof and dry.
Try a heated vest. You may be surprised at the difference it make to your extremities.

The theory is that if your core starts to cool then your body, in an attempt to keep the main organs in the core at the required temp, will start to shut down blood flow your extremities, causing them to get cold.

The heated vest will help to keep your core warm thus keeping your extremities warm.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

A slightly diversionary vote here for heated seats. I know many think they're rather effete luxuries but, there's an awful lot of blood passing through the 'groinal area'. If you can get a bit of extra heat into it, it's a bit like turning up your central heating thermostat a degree or two. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire