In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Re: In todays news...

Post by demographic »

cheb wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:15 pm Saint Margaret still gets blamed for stuff. Personally I've not forgiven the Liberals for the window tax. They make have rebranded from Whigs but a leopard doesn't change its spots.
To be fair, she also gets credit for stuff sometimes.
Ahh, the good old days.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I've given up trying to explain economics and monetary theory, but I feel like there is a need for an interjection here, so I'll just touch on the reporting of it.

The BBC are reporting, that the IMF are reporting, that they have changed their forecast.
This is only significant if you paid any attention to their forecast in the first place, and importantly, whether you actually understand what is happening.

From the same news article...

"IMF chief economist Pierre-Olivier Gourinchas told the BBC that last year, the UK had "one of the strongest growth numbers in Europe""
"...the UK was "certainly trying to carefully navigate these different challenges and we think that they are on the right track".

The right track to what? Doom? Perhaps not.

Imagine that the BBC are reporting, that the IMF are reporting, on your bank account.
The BBC might report on the 25th that the IMF say you're skint but that I am not (but they leave out that it's because you paid all your bills on the 24th but I don't pay my bills until the 26th). But then they report, that the IMF reports, on the 27th, that you're flush and I'm skint (and again they leave out that it's because you got paid and I paid my bills and won't get paid until the 28th).
The yo-yo reporting is meaningless unless you understand what is happening.

That BBC article is not there to inform you, or help you, it's there to satisfy an appetite for sensation.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 pm The IMF is a de facto institution of the EU.

Their job is to try and ruin the £UK economically while propping up a failing €Euro. Zero sum game and all that...
Just to establish a baseline (and bear in mind we might well come back to this comment in a few months to see how things progress) how do you think the UK economy is doing right now and where do you think it will go this year.
In comparison to the rest of the G7 maybe? And as its been mentioned, compared to Russia?
Potter

Post by Potter »

demographic wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:20 pm
Screwdriver wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 pm The IMF is a de facto institution of the EU.

Their job is to try and ruin the £UK economically while propping up a failing €Euro. Zero sum game and all that...
Just to establish a baseline (and bear in mind we might well come back to this comment in a few months to see how things progress) how do you think the UK economy is doing right now and where do you think it will go this year.
In comparison to the rest of the G7 maybe? And as its been mentioned, compared to Russia?
Case in point.
It's not about this year hoss, it's about last year and next year, this year has already been decided and it's being slowed down on purpose - and the IMF say it's the right path to take.
I cba explaining why it's the right track to take, you'll just have to take me and the IMF at our word that is it.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

The IMF was founded in 1944 following the Great Depression and has around 200 nations as members as I recall, so I'd have to call that statement misleading.

ECB maybe....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

"Sex and no sleep may be killing endangered quolls"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64480070

I reckon I'm safe from extinction then.....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

The phrase up shit creek without a paddle comes to mind...

There is too much uncertainty in several major world events which make long term economic strategy mere guesswork: Brexit, Chinese bioweapon leak, proxy war with Russia and of course a weak US president.

How one affects the other is anyone's guess. Typically these events are used as an excuse for piss poor performance or bad management. Sorry your next NHS appointment is delayed for another year because COVID. Sorry gas prices are high because Ukraine.

I suppose it makes a change from blaming everything on global warming though that is of course still being used as an excuse for vastly increased profits for the utilities companies.

Then of course there's BRICS which could really throw a spanner in the works for our westernised game of virtual finance. It literally makes no difference to communist/authoritarian states like the CCP or Russia if our measure of their economy makes no sense. Their leaders do not care about the individual whose population is little more than another number. They have REAL resources. Land, minerals and of course oil/gas. FWIW I don't think our "sanctions" against Russia are doing anything to diminish either the threat to Ukraine or the ability of this giant nation to wage war.

Nor is it having the devastating economic effect that was supposed to stop them. Without a political solution, the best we can hope for after all this death and destruction is we get back to square #1. Ukraine nominally controls the Donbas region, still on the border with an aggressive Russia. Worst case scenario, we allow Ukraine to become a NATO member just like we promised we never would...

So I don't know how the UK economy will fare and I don't think anyone else really does either. I don't think our Monopoly based, fiat money capitalism works for the general population. Politics is now the preserve of the very rich who can control entire governments with the media, social media and sheer financial clout. You can easily see how the big decisions are being made to favour economic growth over social welfare but that economic growth is being stuffed into the trousers of the super rich. That was never the idea behind capitalism (but the inevitable end game for Monopoly).

One thing is for certain though and I will make a bold prediction here: the rate at which the rich get richer will continue to accelerate.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:47 pm "Sex and no sleep may be killing endangered quolls"

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-64480070

I reckon I'm safe from extinction then.....
Not really....species have to have sex to avoid extinction. :thumbup:

Well, they have to reproduce, which isn't quite the same thing. No harm in practicing though. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The one thing that none of the others have had, and occurred between the rosy review and the not so rosy review from the IMF was a short, sharp bout of Truss-o-nomics.

I see the Chancellor is promising to halve the rate of inflation. All he has to do is wait for the spike to pass through the back end of the rolling 12 months measurement period. He actual needs to do the same as me to bring it down. ie nothing. :roll: So, when it comes down, remember who you have to thank. Nobody.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Jeez, everyone knows the IMF is the Impossible Mission Force.

Ethan Hunt will sort it all out.
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://sazoo.org/cry-me-a-cockroach/

San Antonio Zoo hosts its Cry Me a Cockroach Fundraiser, where funds raised support the zoo’s vision of securing a future for wildlife in Texas and around the world!

This Valentine’s, join in the fun by donating to symbolically name a cockroach, rodent, or veggie after your not-so-special someone!

As a part of your $5.00, $10.00, or $25.00 donation, YOU will receive:

A digital downloadable Valentine’s Day Card showing your support for the Cry Me a Cockroach Fundraiser.

Be sure to share the fun on social media with hashtag #CryMeACockroach and tag @SanAntonioZoo on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok!

As a part of your $5.00, $10.00, or $25.00 donation, YOUR not-so-special someone will receive:

OPTIONAL SEND: A digital downloadable Valentine’s Day Card informing them they were named after a cockroach, rodent, or veggie and fed to an animal at San Antonio Zoo!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:13 pm I see the Chancellor is promising to halve the rate of inflation. All he has to do is wait for the spike to pass through the back end of the rolling 12 months measurement period. He actual needs to do the same as me to bring it down. ie nothing. :roll: So, when it comes down, remember who you have to thank. Nobody.
Yeah, I've noticed the we aim to halve inflation bollocks as well.
Take credit for fuckall really.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Potter wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:29 pm Case in point.
It's not about this year hoss, it's about last year and next year, this year has already been decided and it's being slowed down on purpose - and the IMF say it's the right path to take.
I cba explaining why it's the right track to take, you'll just have to take me and the IMF at our word that is it.
As predictions go that was a bit say something that doesn't really mean anything worthwhile, have you ever considerex a job as a consultant?
Ant

Post by Ant »

Imports of criminals doing well then...

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/romanian-del ... BcJBoBmPks
Horse

Post by Horse »

demographic wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:42 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 4:13 pm I see the Chancellor is promising to halve the rate of inflation. All he has to do is wait for the spike to pass through the back end of the rolling 12 months measurement period. He actual needs to do the same as me to bring it down. ie nothing. :roll: So, when it comes down, remember who you have to thank. Nobody.
Yeah, I've noticed the we aim to halve inflation bollocks as well.
Take credit for fuckall really.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-64166469

"First, we will halve inflation this year to ease the cost of living and give people financial security."
The prime minister knows rising prices are one of the biggest challenges facing many families right now, so it's not surprising he's put this high up his priority list.

Some economists think inflation might already have peaked and the Bank of England has predicted it will fall midway through this year, so you can see why the prime minister feels able to make this pledge.

However, there will still be huge challenges for households, not least those facing higher mortgage payments because interest rates have gone up. The cost of living will undoubtedly be one of the issues that dominates Rishi Sunak's premiership.

"Second, we will grow the economy, creating better-paid jobs and opportunity right across the country."
Growth - remember that word from former PM Liz Truss's time in office?

Growing the economy is something successive governments have tried to do - and made big promises about. There's not much detail on exactly how this might be measured or by when, though when questioned the prime minister said he hoped to see the economy growing by the end of this year.

Politically it boils down to one thing: will people feel better or worse off at the time of the next election?

The government's hope is that the country might be through the worst of the recession and feel like it's on the up again, but after such a tough economic time for so many that's not going to be easy to achieve.

"Third, we will make sure our national debt is falling so that we can secure the future of public services."
Rishi Sunak has made getting control of the public finances one of his priorities since he took office. His first big economic statement alongside his chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, in the autumn outlined tough spending decisions and difficult choices.

However, huge government interventions at the height of the Covid pandemic and subsequent support with energy bills haven't left a very rosy picture.

The thinking behind this pledge is likely to be the fact that Mr Sunak wants to have a reputation for economic credibility, particularly after the turmoil of the Truss government, in the belief that's important to voters - particularly Conservatives.

Whether he can deliver - and by when - is another matter.

"Fourth, NHS waiting lists will fall and people will get the care they need more quickly."
The NHS is undoubtedly one of the biggest challenges facing Mr Sunak's government, so it's no surprise it makes his list. He wants to show this is a priority for him in the face of critics who argue there's been a lack of government action.

Given the current length of waiting lists and the wider pressures on the NHS, this isn't going to happen quickly. But note the prime minister hasn't put a firm time scale on his promise, instead outlining a gradual plan to reduce waiting times which allows him some scope.

He said he wanted to be held to account for delivering the pledges he has made - there's little doubt that, on this one, he will be.

"Fifth, we will pass new laws to stop small boats, making sure that if you come to this country illegally, you are detained and swiftly removed."
This is something Rishi Sunak has already said is a priority. He announced in December that the government would be bringing forward new legislation in 2023.

It's something many Conservative MPs have repeatedly raised as a concern for their constituents, which is why it's high up the to-do list.

Mr Sunak has already set targets to reduce the backlog of asylum cases this year - something that can be directly measured. Today he was asked by journalists to provide a clear target for stopping or reducing the number of small boats attempting to cross the Channel.

He didn't, opting instead to outline the steps the government was taking to tackle the problem and stressing it was a priority. Proof, if you needed it, that setting measurable targets is always a political risk.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic

Post by demographic »

In a totally unrelated note to small boats, this was mentioned on Radio 4 this morning...
Taken from here...
https://www.theguardian.com/global-deve ... estigation

Calls are growing for an investigation into the apparent accidental death two weeks ago of a prominent Rwandan journalist and government critic.

John Williams Ntwali, a regular critic of the authorities, was found dead on 18 January. According to reported police accounts, he was killed when a speeding vehicle rammed a motorcycle on which he was riding pillion in the capital, Kigali. A US senate committee said he had been “silenced”. Human rights organisations have joined other activists in raising doubts about the cause of the death of the 44 year-old editor of The Chronicles newspaper.

Amnesty International and the Committee to Protect Journalists, an independent NGO based in New York, are among media and rights organisations calling for an independent investigation.

“Two weeks after the alleged accident, Rwandan authorities have failed to provide a police report, the exact location of the alleged accident, any photo or video evidence, or detailed information on the others involved in it,” a network of press associations and civil society organisations said in a joint statement on Tuesday.

Signed by more than 60 organisations, the statement said Ntwali, was “regularly threatened and attacked in pro-government media for his investigative reporting” and called on Rwanda’s international partners, including the Commonwealth, “to stand by their stated commitment to media freedom and to call on Rwanda to allow an effective, independent and prompt investigation” into his death.

On Monday, Unesco’s director general, Audrey Azoulay urged the Rwandan authorities to “initiate a full and transparent investigation into this case to fully account for the circumstances of his death”.

USAid administrator Samantha Power called for action in a tweet on Saturday.

The US, along with the UK, has previously called for Rwanda to improve its human rights record.

Tuesday’s statement said Ntwali was one of only a few journalists in Rwanda covering high-profile, politicised trials of journalists, commentators and opposition members, and posting videos about their conditions in prison.

Days before he died, Ntwali posted a YouTube video about the unexplained disappearance of a genocide survivor who had reportedly spoken out about police brutality.

According to Human Rights Watch (HRW), Ntwali told friends last year he had been intimidated by government officers and feared for his life.

Police authorities declined to comment on Ntwali’s death, saying the case had been taken over by the prosecutor’s office. The prosecutor’s office did not respond to requests for comment.

“This is a regime which has a track record of extrajudicial killings, political assassination, disappearances, unexplained deaths involving human rights activists, journalists, opposition leaders and politicians,” said British journalist Michela Wrong, whose book Do Not Disturb alleges the involvement of President Paul Kagame in numerous human rights abuses against prominent Rwandans – allegations he denies. “It’s against that context that [Ntwali’s] death has to be judged.”

Lewis Mudge, central Africa director at HRW, said: “Rwanda is an incredibly closed country with regard to people’s ability to do free and fair reporting. Journalists know the red lines, and don’t go near them for their own safety. Ntwali was one of the only journalists in Rwanda who would speak about what was happening.”

Rwandan president Paul Kagame.
‘We choose good guys and bad guys’: beneath the myth of ‘model’ Rwanda
Read more
Rights groups say Ntwali’s death fits within a pattern of political opposition figures, prominent government critics and journalists who have disappeared or been found dead under suspicious circumstances in recent years.

In 2021, the poet Innocent Bahati, whose work was regarded as a “critical expression on issues affecting Rwandan society”, went missing.

The same year, radio journalist Cassien Ntamuhanga was sentenced to 25 years for conspiracy against the government and complicity in terrorism. After what HRW calls his “highly politicised trial” he escaped to Mozambique but was arrested there. Mozambican authorities denied having detained him and his whereabouts have been unknown since.
Felix

Post by Felix »

So is it a bloke Nicola :lol:

The tubby tory ref is right. He is a bloke

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-64501436
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I've just learned about Bank "bail-ins"

In the US your money is federally insured up to $250,000... (per account) if the bank goes tits up. This means that people with $50M laying around spread it around 200 banks.

When the last big bank collapse happened, the Feds bailed them out, but part of that deal they kept quiet about was that if it happened again, they were SOL.

This means that if you have over 250K in an account, the bank can use it to bail themselves out.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Felix wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:25 pm So is it a bloke Nicola :lol:

It sounds like she's opposing self-determination, will she thank Westminster for blocking the bill?
irie

Post by irie »

Mussels wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:53 pm
Felix wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:25 pm So is it a bloke Nicola :lol:

It sounds like she's opposing self-determination, will she thank Westminster for blocking the bill?
Nah, she'd rather stick pins in her c__k* :lol:

* conk
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno