In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Horse

Re: In todays news...

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:29 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:27 pm Definitely a bust.
Though, inevitably, they seems to be pulling to the far right and the far left.
If someone was going to get it, then it would be you :thumbup: :lol:
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Apparently they are going to consider making the first MoT on new cars and bikes at the 4 year mark rather than the current 3 years. (Info on Confused.com). Stats show that few vehicles fail at 3 years and vanishingly small numbers of accidents arise from what would be flagged at MoT on vehicles under 4 years old. (A number of other countries already have their equivalent a 4 years). First they have to have a 'discussion period'. :roll:

It seems so obvious and sensible it probably won't happen. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:35 pm Apparently they are going to consider making the first MoT on new cars and bikes at the 4 year mark rather than the current 3 years. (Info on Confused.com). Stats show that few vehicles fail at 3 years and vanishingly small numbers of accidents arise from what would be flagged at MoT on vehicles under 4 years old. (A number of other countries already have their equivalent a 4 years). First they have to have a 'discussion period'. :roll:

That's how it is here. First MOT at 4 y/o and every 3 after that. Cars are great now. Our Toyota is 2015 and has had nothing apart from consumables. I think even exhausts now have a 10 year warranty.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Skub wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:51 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:35 pm Apparently they are going to consider making the first MoT on new cars and bikes at the 4 year mark rather than the current 3 years. (Info on Confused.com). Stats show that few vehicles fail at 3 years and vanishingly small numbers of accidents arise from what would be flagged at MoT on vehicles under 4 years old. (A number of other countries already have their equivalent a 4 years). First they have to have a 'discussion period'. :roll:

That's how it is here. First MOT at 4 y/o and every 3 after that. Cars are great now. Our Toyota is 2015 and has had nothing apart from consumables. I think even exhausts now have a 10 year warranty.
My car is turning 13 this year and it has just passed it's MOT again and has never even had an advisory, admittedly it has only done 60 000 miles.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

IMF predict that the UK economy will be the worst performer in the developed world, including sanction hit Russia. Story from the BBC but I could have chosen a few other outlets as well.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-64452995

"UK expected to be only major economy to shrink in 2023 - IMF
The UK economy will shrink and perform worse than other advanced economies, including Russia, as the cost of living continues to hit households, the International Monetary Fund has said.

The IMF said the economy will contract by 0.6% in 2023, rather than grow slightly as previously predicted.

However, the IMF also said that it thinks the UK is now "on the right track".

Chancellor Jeremy Hunt said the UK outperformed many forecasts last year.

But shadow chancellor Rachel Reeves said the figures showed the UK "lagging behind our peers".

The IMF, which works to stabilise economic growth, said it had downgraded its forecast for the UK because of its high energy prices, rising mortgage costs and increased taxes, as well as persistent worker shortages. It did not mention Brexit in its report as a factor for the UK not performing as well as others. Today marks three years since the UK left the EU.

The UK is expected be the only country to shrink next year across all the advanced and emerging economies. Even sanctions-hit Russia is now forecast to grow this year."
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

The IMF is a de facto institution of the EU.

Their job is to try and ruin the £UK economically while propping up a failing €Euro. Zero sum game and all that...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 pm The IMF is a de facto institution of the EU.

Their job is to try and ruin the £UK economically while propping up a failing €Euro. Zero sum game and all that...
Them new drugs are working well.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Screwdriver wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:04 pm The IMF is a de facto institution of the EU.

Can we not Brexit them away then?

Keep it Brexity, sending the buggers back and defending the statues. 👍
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

They've got serious competition then. From what I can see we're doing a far better job of fucking ourselves up the arse than any Johnny Foreigner has ever managed. And a zero sum game can only exist if the two protagonists only trade with each other. This is clearly not the case.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:18 am IMF predict that the UK economy will be the worst performer in the developed world, including sanction hit Russia. Story from the BBC but I could have chosen a few other outlets as well.
I was wondering who would be the first to try and shoot the messenger (IMF) because they don't like the message....

I didn't know that the Washington based, global organisation with 190 countries as members was actually part of the EU though. :lol:
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 am
Yorick wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:12 pm

Fuck off you ignorant prick.
What you said made zero sense.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Yorick wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:15 am
Screwdriver wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:31 am
Yorick wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:12 pm
Fuck off you ignorant prick.
What you said made zero sense.
@Yorick @Screwdriver
I would leave it , chaps.
If you want to have a pissing contest, do it elsewhere
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:23 am
demographic wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 10:18 am IMF predict that the UK economy will be the worst performer in the developed world, including sanction hit Russia. Story from the BBC but I could have chosen a few other outlets as well.
I was wondering who would be the first to try and shoot the messenger (IMF) because they don't like the message....

I didn't know that the Washington based, global organisation with 190 countries as members was actually part of the EU though. :lol:
Plus the small matter that their forecast for the EU is terrible compared to the rest of the world...
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

mangocrazy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:20 am a zero sum game can only exist if the two protagonists only trade with each other. This is clearly not the case.
No, a financial institution like the IMF is virtually the very definition of a zero sum game. They are playing with currencies so that if one currency is favoured, all of the other currencies must therefore have their value decreased. It is an artificial ceiling since the entire concept of money is a human construct but the entire world economy must add up to 100%. One side wins, the other must lose.

Count Steer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:23 am I didn't know that the Washington based, global organisation with 190 countries as members was actually part of the EU though. :lol:
No one is suggesting it is except you. Look up "de facto". If anyone thinks the EU would not do everything in its power to make the UK economy fail then they really ought to wake up. The same is true for an imperialist aggressor like the USA of course but they would not specifically attack the UK in particular.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I'd be surprised if the EU was that organised.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:23 am I didn't know that the Washington based, global organisation with 190 countries as members was actually part of the EU though. :lol:
Thats globalisation for yer.
Its been twelve years, can we still blame Labour for it or is that argument past it's best by now?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:32 am
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:20 am a zero sum game can only exist if the two protagonists only trade with each other. This is clearly not the case.
No, a financial institution like the IMF is virtually the very definition of a zero sum game. They are playing with currencies so that if one currency is favoured, all of the other currencies must therefore have their value decreased. It is an artificial ceiling since the entire concept of money is a human construct but the entire world economy must add up to 100%. One side wins, the other must lose.
a) that's not the way currency trading works and b) you've suddenly gone from EU vs. UK to the entire world economy.

Currency trading works in currency pairs and that IS a zero sum game. If we look at the GBP/EUR currency pairs, if the value of EUR rises relative to GBP, then GBP falls relative to EUR. Both currencies can still rise or fall at the same time relative to other currencies, though. You are overstating the influence and control the IMF has on currency trading to a quite ludicrous degree. The clue to the IMF's remit and function is in the name - International Monetary Fund, not WWCC - World Wide Currency Control.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

'De facto' : Actual, if not officially recognised.

So, you believe it actually is but is not officially recognised as an EU institution.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:05 am 'De facto' : Actual, if not officially recognised.

So, you believe it actually is but is not officially recognised as an EU institution.
As opposed to De Jure, which is disappointingly nothing to do with soup.
cheb

Post by cheb »

demographic wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:09 am
Thats globalisation for yer.
Its been twelve years, can we still blame Labour for it or is that argument past it's best by now?

Saint Margaret still gets blamed for stuff. Personally I've not forgiven the Liberals for the window tax. They make have rebranded from Whigs but a leopard doesn't change its spots.