self driving vehicle on UK motorways in 2023

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
Mr. Dazzle

Re: self driving vehicle on UK motorways in 2023

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Modern cars already know when you're holding the steering wheel, usually via sensors in the rim, even if the OEMs don't exactly shout about that.

AFAIK the Mercedes S-Class is already homolgated in the EU to self drive up to 30something mph?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:46 pm Modern cars already know when you're holding the steering wheel, usually via sensors in the rim, even if the OEMs don't exactly shout about that.

AFAIK the Mercedes S-Class is already homolgated in the EU to self drive up to 30something mph?
Yeah. Then the chauffeur takes over. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:46 pm Modern cars already know when you're holding the steering wheel, usually via sensors in the rim, even if the OEMs don't exactly shout about that.

They are probably ahead of the curve?

EU General Safety Regulation

Secondary type approval legislation for the following vehicle safety measures (GSR5):

Advanced Emergency Braking Systems (light duty, vehicles and pedestrians/cyclists)
Driver Monitoring
Driver Drowsiness and Attention monitoring and Warning (DDAW),
Advanced Distraction Recognition (ADR), and
Driver Readiness Monitoring for Automated Driving (DRMAD)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
exportman

Post by exportman »

Horse wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:43 pm

They are probably ahead of the curve?

EU General Safety Regulation

Secondary type approval legislation for the following vehicle safety measures (GSR5):

Advanced Emergency Braking Systems (light duty, vehicles and pedestrians/cyclists)
Driver Monitoring
Driver Drowsiness and Attention monitoring and Warning (DDAW),
Advanced Distraction Recognition (ADR), and
Driver Readiness Monitoring for Automated Driving (DRMAD)
Tesla have something similar and there is a video of some American being driven along the freeway for miles at speed with an orange wedged into the steering wheel so the thing thinks his hand is resting on the wheel. Make something idiot proof and along will come a bigger idiot
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I passed a Merc sitting in the middle lane on the motorway in 2021 with the driver with his hands behind his head...
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Horse

Post by Horse »

exportman wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 9:14 pm Make something idiot proof and along will come a bigger idiot
A mate said:

It's difficult to make something 'idiot proof' because idiots are ingenious.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I wouldn't be knowingly brave enough to travel on an autonomous tram or train, so a car on our lovely public roads is definitely out of the window for me.

But the gadgeteers will continue and good luck to them, but I'm out.
Yamaha rocket 3
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Years ago I used self driving trains a lot, the DLR. With all the signal controls I'm not sure train drivers make many choices by themselves anyway.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've never seen a train swerve, that's for sure :D

How about an airliner, they can fly themselves the ground at 150mph and everyone survives!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

To be fair, the airfield needs to be equipped with some high-tech kit. Try to use autopilot to land in a field and it will all end in tears.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:05 pm To be fair, the airfield needs to be equipped with some high-tech kit. Try to use autopilot to land in a field and it will all end in tears.
And it's mostly rigorously maintained.

It's when it all ends up at TinPan Airways things tend to go wrong.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
exportman

Post by exportman »

Its smaller planes and Private pilots you need to avoid. I have been involved in the recovery of several that didnt quite get the landing right
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

A report in The Times about the San Francisco testing

San Francisco, the city driven to distraction by autonomous car glitches

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/82d6 ... 66835c69d6
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 9:33 pm A report in The Times about the San Francisco testing

San Francisco, the city driven to distraction by autonomous car glitches

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/82d6 ... 66835c69d6
He was doubtful that driverless cars were ready to be deployed elsewhere. “Could these vehicles be used in various cities? Well, yes, because we have very lax regulations in the United States and there’s nothing preventing their deployment,” he said.

My belief is that the UK has far higher standards/ expectations for use of AVs compared to the US, and stuff acceptable over there wouldn't pass our safety assessments.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Self-driving cars? Pah - nothing to worry about!

Remember the 737 Max?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerow ... 9059bb45ea

InJanuary, Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun revealed an open secret in the world of aviation. “I think the future of autonomy is real for civil,” he told Bloomberg TV, before quickly offering some qualifiers. “It’s going to take time. Everyone’s got to build confidence. We need a certification process that we all have faith and believe in.”

The U.S. military has been flying autonomous planes for decades, of course, but always in a segregated airspace. Now it’s becoming increasingly clear that self-flying planes are coming to commercial aviation, and not in some distant Jetsons future world. Aircraft manufacturers are working toward it. Airlines are eager for it. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is preparing for it. And pilot unions acknowledge the threat is looming on the horizon.

A decade ago, the conversation was largely speculative. But today, many in the aviation industry believe that small, self-flying planes could be carrying passengers by the end of this decade. Then, barring no major safety incidents, it could take as little as another decade before larger passenger jets operate without a pilot on the flight deck.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:54 am Self-driving cars? Pah - nothing to worry about!

Remember the 737 Max?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerow ... 9059bb45ea

InJanuary, Boeing CEO Dave Calhoun revealed an open secret in the world of aviation. “I think the future of autonomy is real for civil,” he told Bloomberg TV, before quickly offering some qualifiers. “It’s going to take time. Everyone’s got to build confidence. We need a certification process that we all have faith and believe in.”

The U.S. military has been flying autonomous planes for decades, of course, but always in a segregated airspace. Now it’s becoming increasingly clear that self-flying planes are coming to commercial aviation, and not in some distant Jetsons future world. Aircraft manufacturers are working toward it. Airlines are eager for it. The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) is preparing for it. And pilot unions acknowledge the threat is looming on the horizon.

A decade ago, the conversation was largely speculative. But today, many in the aviation industry believe that small, self-flying planes could be carrying passengers by the end of this decade. Then, barring no major safety incidents, it could take as little as another decade before larger passenger jets operate without a pilot on the flight deck.
Try to remember also Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger III, and many other less spectacular instances. Pilots do make mistakes, but when lots of electrical or mechanical stuff fails it is often the wetware that mitigates the fall out.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:09 am
Try to remember also Chesley Burnett "Sully" Sullenberger III, and many other less spectacular instances. Pilots do make mistakes, but when lots of electrical or mechanical stuff fails it is often the wetware that mitigates the fall out.
It would be interesting to know how often they do actually make those 'saves'. Sully was lucky that there was a big enough stretch of water. Can't see that sort of success on the Thames near Heathrow ;)

I was reading one a few days ago. Coming in to land, 'pilot flying' gave an instruction, 2nd pilot repeated it. Unfortunately, instead of lowering flaps, he feathered both propellors. PF realised plane was falling, applied my power. But to no effect.

Now, is that an 'error', or poorly-designed controls, or ... ?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Horse wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 12:06 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:09 am
It would be interesting to know how often they do actually make those 'saves'. Sully was lucky that there was a big enough stretch of water. Can't see that sort of success on the Thames near Heathrow ;)

I was reading one a few days ago. Coming in to land, 'pilot flying' gave an instruction, 2nd pilot repeated it. Unfortunately, instead of lowering flaps, he feathered both propellors. PF realised plane was falling, applied my power. But to no effect.

Now, is that an 'error', or poorly-designed controls, or ... ?
Similar to the crash on the M1 at east midlands airport in the 80s - engine failed and the first office shut down the good engine ....

I think it's still a big jump to pilotless planes. I can see it going down to 1 pilot perhaps, but no pilots is a big leap. Yes miltary drones are pilotless but they do crash quite a lot!

I think it will happen before fully autonomous cars though - the skies are a more predictable environment than the roads.
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:00 pmI can see it going down to 1 pilot perhaps
I posted a link to plans for that in the 'news' thread.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Horse wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:52 pm
wheelnut wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:00 pmI can see it going down to 1 pilot perhaps
I posted a link to plans for that in the 'news' thread.