In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Screwdriver

Re: In todays news...

Post by Screwdriver »

LOL. Quite a response.

Frankly I couldn't care less about anything Greta has to say. I can admire her courage for getting up on stage but the stuff she says is pure bollocks. I happen to be a very highly committed proponent of energy saving and upcycling/recycling. Ultra low carbon footprint, ultra low plastic footprint.

We all know fossil fuels and single use plastics are "a bad thing", I don't need a former celebrity child to tell me that. What we need are solutions and the solution imho is to address the issue of extreme poverty first and meanwhile try to mitigate the effects of excessive energy/plasic use.

As for the protest. What will it achieve? Does anyone think a few yobbos up trees or glued to the road will stop this from going ahead?

Virtue signalling at its finest. FWIW I don't think Greta should be in prison, I think she should be in the care of a clinical psychiatrist. Poor kid...
irie

Post by irie »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:35 pm LOL. Quite a response.

Frankly I couldn't care less about anything Greta has to say. I can admire her courage for getting up on stage but the stuff she says is pure bollocks. I happen to be a very highly committed proponent of energy saving and upcycling/recycling. Ultra low carbon footprint, ultra low plastic footprint.

We all know fossil fuels and single use plastics are "a bad thing", I don't need a former celebrity child to tell me that. What we need are solutions and the solution imho is to address the issue of extreme poverty first and meanwhile try to mitigate the effects of excessive energy/plasic use.

As for the protest. What will it achieve? Does anyone think a few yobbos up trees or glued to the road will stop this from going ahead?

Virtue signalling at its finest. FWIW I don't think Greta should be in prison, I think she should be in the care of a clinical psychiatrist. Poor kid...
In the meantime her OCD (yes, it is a "disorder"), which should have been dealt with in childhood, is being continuously reinforced by parties with interests in the climate change bandwagon, and the media, and others.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

When you can't attack the message, attack the message bearer, in this case by trying to subtly question her mental health.

An old tactic, but one that is easily seen through and dismissed.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:44 am When you can't attack the message, attack the message bearer, in this case by trying to subtly question her mental health.

Yeah. My impression from the BBC programme was that she came across as very bright, humorous, self-aware and not a stooge for anyone. Some of our friends children look dysfunctional by comparison and they're supposed to be 'perfectly normal' (for this period in time anyway). If she's encouraged young people to speak truth to power that's fine by me because the evidence is that the old people won't do it if it crimps their own lifestyle. It's more a case with them of 'If the world goes to hell in a handbasket, as long as I've had what I want, who cares?'
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's funny how Greta attracts loads of ire innit, when there are million people protesting and/or promoting a million things.

Almost as though people think she might have a point, even if they dare not admit it :lol:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:04 pm It's funny how Greta attracts loads of ire innit, when there are million people protesting and/or promoting a million things.

Almost as though people think she might have a point, even if they dare not admit it :lol:
On the face of it, there's very little about her to hate - other than she won't stop talking about those things you'd rather weren't happening. It is mainly about raising awareness, and maintaining awareness when everyone in the wealthy West have drifted off back to Netflix or the gas bill - it' shouldn't be all about instead marginalising a 20yo because, fvck me, she didn't turn up with all the answers and, by the way, she's a bit of a weirdo.

But, as usual, it's a bunch of old men, pseudo Jeremy Clarksons, who just can't help sounding off when they should really shut up with the chinmusic for a second and engage their brains.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Greta doesn't even need to provide answers. There are lots and lots of good answers out there already. Loads.

What's needed is the desire to actually use those answers. That's what Greta is about.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:43 pm Greta doesn't even need to provide answers. There are lots and lots of good answers out there already. Loads.

What's needed is the desire to actually use those answers. That's what Greta is about.
She does if she's going to shout that it's all everyone elses fault.

They're all the same, shouty shouty but without any answers to what we could do instead. They're all a part of an extremist cult.
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 11:44 am When you can't attack the message, attack the message bearer, in this case by trying to subtly question her mental health.

That the climate is changing is perfectly clear, so no issues there.

What was your point again?
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 1:43 pm Greta doesn't even need to provide answers. There are lots and lots of good answers out there already. Loads.

I see what you mean with that sentiment but back in the real world, what does she actually do?

We already know that climate change is a very real problem, we already know that AGW is happening right now and has been happening for almost a century. So is Greta "firing up" the younger generation? That's a good thing but not if she is going to use her fame to get people to start vandalising and sabotaging our infrastructure.

Greta says: stop burning coal now. Yeah ok but about a million people will freeze to death and half the countries factories will shut down. :thumbup:

What does she say to that? The "powers that be" also know the harm this excessive use of fossil fuel is doing but they're not going to suddenly stop. All they will do is hide behind Greta, pretend to be in awe of her amazing rhetoric and do absolutely fuck all about it. They probably have departments whose primary function is to do fuck all while making it look like they're doing something. Something other than taxing the fuck out of the consumer because: climate change mate.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

So Thunberg is actually an agent of bigTech/bigPharma/bigBiden. Ok then. :shifty:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:14 pm

So why are you attacking/denigrating her if what she says is true? If you agree with her, why does she so obviously push your buttons?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 4:52 pm

So why are you attacking/denigrating her if what she says is true? If you agree with her, why does she so obviously push your buttons?
He didn't say he agreed with her about why the climate is changing. I dunno, some people think it's all cyclical and nothing to do with the industrial revolution and what followed. So, it is perfectly clear that the climate is changing but...that's not the same as saying something can/should be done about it?
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

As you say there are two separate issues so why are you not able to treat them separately?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:09 pm

As you say there are two separate issues so why are you not able to treat them separately?
Humour me. What are the two separate issues?

All I'm seeing is someone trying to excuse their actions in denigrating a young woman who is trying to raise awareness about climate change.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Great Thunberg pissed me off when she gave that speech a few years ago and accused world leaders, with a face twisted in hate, of stealing her childhood or future, whatever it was.

All around the world child labour is used for all sorts of things. They are the ones whose childhoods have been stolen not some little middle class autistic kid. If she was to campaign for an end to child labour, bearing in mind she now has a platform, I'd be more inclined to listen.
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:14 pm

All I'm seeing is someone trying to excuse their actions in denigrating a young woman who is trying to raise awareness about climate change.
The two separate issues are firstly climate change, and secondly Thunberg's untreated autism/OCD which has left her open to exploitation.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:14 pm Great Thunberg pissed me off when she gave that speech a few years ago and accused world leaders, with a face twisted in hate, of stealing her childhood or future, whatever it was.

All around the world child labour is used for all sorts of things. They are the ones whose childhoods have been stolen not some little middle class autistic kid. If she was to campaign for an end to child labour, bearing in mind she now has a platform, I'd be more inclined to listen.
That is a squirrel! of epic proportions.

She isn't campaigning for what you want her to?

It's like climate change won't affect those kids in poor countries where they're used as cheap labour and create even more poverty? You want her to campaign against people that demand £1 t-shirts?
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

irie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:21 pm

The two separate issues are firstly climate change, and secondly Thunberg's untreated OCD which has left her open to exploitation.
So you agree that climate change is A Thing, it's real, it's not a scam and urgent action is needed to combat it? And you agree that Greta's actions in trying to highlight the need for an urgent response to the crisis is praiseworthy and to be commended and assisted?
irie

Post by irie »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:27 pm
irie wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:21 pm

The two separate issues are firstly climate change, and secondly Thunberg's untreated OCD which has left her open to exploitation.
So you agree that climate change is A Thing, it's real, it's not a scam and urgent action is needed to combat it? And you agree that Greta's actions in trying to highlight the need for an urgent response to the crisis is praiseworthy and to be commended and assisted?
So you agree that there are two separate issues. Good.