Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mussels

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mussels »

That complaint has been going on for years, long before EVs came out. Why don't they complain about vans or lorries being heavier?
Mussels

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mussels »

I saw an ad yesterday for an EV salary sacrifice scheme, that may explain their popularity at the moment. If my company did it I'd find EVs a hell of a lot more attractive.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mussels wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:04 am That complaint has been going on for years, long before EVs came out. Why don't they complain about vans or lorries being heavier?
Smacks of oil lobbying TBF. Snot like there's been a concentrated effort to reduce the mass of ICE cars or owt.

WRT Salary Sacrifice...we have it at work, but I don't partake. As you might imagine it's a sizable discount if you're a higher rate tax payer. You do pay a BIK tax on the car but at present it's 1 or 2%. Probably won't stay that way for much longer.
Horse

Post by Horse »

https://wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2023/SJ0004

SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. SJ0004
Phasing out new electric vehicle sales by 2035.

A JOINT RESOLUTION expressing support for phasing out the sale of new electric vehicles in Wyoming by 2035.

Section 1. That the legislature encourages and expresses as a goal that the sale of new electric vehicles in the state of Wyoming be phased out by 2035.

Section 2. That the legislature encourages Wyoming's industries and citizens to limit the sale and purchase of new electric vehicles in Wyoming with a goal of phasing out the sale of new electric vehicles in Wyoming by 2035.

Section 3. That the Secretary of State of Wyoming transmit copies of this resolution to the President of the United States, each member of Wyoming's congressional delegation, the President of the United States Senate, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, the governor of Wyoming and the governor of California.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 6:36 pm https://wyoleg.gov/Legislation/2023/SJ0004

SENATE JOINT RESOLUTION NO. SJ0004
Phasing out new electric vehicle sales by 2035.

A JOINT RESOLUTION expressing support for phasing out the sale of new electric vehicles in Wyoming by 2035.

Section 1. That the legislature encourages and expresses as a goal that the sale of new electric vehicles in the state of Wyoming be phased out by 2035.

Section 2. That the legislature encourages Wyoming's industries and citizens to limit the sale and purchase of new electric vehicles in Wyoming with a goal of phasing out the sale of new electric vehicles in Wyoming by 2035.

Section 3. That the Secretary of State of Wyoming transmit copies of this resolution to the President of the United States, each member of Wyoming's congressional delegation, the President of the United States Senate, the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives, the governor of Wyoming and the governor of California.
Turkeys vote against Xmas. What a surprise!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:09 am Turkeys vote against Xmas. What a surprise!
Just a publicity stunt though.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:09 am Turkeys vote against Xmas. What a surprise!
Few weeks ago I met a bloke who'd just returned from the USofA, after working on installing wind turbines.

IIRC, he said something like "here it's NIMBY, there its NNNN: not nuthin not nowhere."
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:21 am
Mussels wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:04 am That complaint has been going on for years, long before EVs came out. Why don't they complain about vans or lorries being heavier?
Smacks of oil lobbying TBF. Snot like there's been a concentrated effort to reduce the mass of ICE cars or owt.

WRT Salary Sacrifice...we have it at work, but I don't partake. As you might imagine it's a sizable discount if you're a higher rate tax payer. You do pay a BIK tax on the car but at present it's 1 or 2%. Probably won't stay that way for much longer.
I just don't know about the whole EV thing despite being in the industry. Maybe a push towards 50mpg petrol hybrids would be a better start as they are much less polluting than diesel, maybe a push towards smaller cars and to get rid of SUV which are nothing more than a vanity purchase. If everyone was in a smaller car doing more mpg it would be a much better start. The popularity of SUV can't have done the environment much good when most owners could have had amore economical car. It's weird because when people look to buy an EV cost is an issue yet they are rarely driving the cheapest vehicle they could be in so why does an EV become about cost ? :think:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Couchy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:22 pm

I just don't know about the whole EV thing despite being in the industry. Maybe a push towards 50mpg petrol hybrids would be a better start as they are much less polluting than diesel, maybe a push towards smaller cars and to get rid of SUV which are nothing more than a vanity purchase. If everyone was in a smaller car doing more mpg it would be a much better start. The popularity of SUV can't have done the environment much good when most owners could have had amore economical car. It's weird because when people look to buy an EV cost is an issue yet they are rarely driving the cheapest vehicle they could be in so why does an EV become about cost ? :think:
Many SUVs are useful for families with kids, dogs etc. They're not just a vanity purchase, it's a vehicle you can use. Small cars are a struggle for some people. What mpg do you think an SUV does or doesn't do?
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

It isn't and never was, it's all about image and being seen as 'i'm doing my bit for the environment' IMO of course. I bet you 80% of people who own EV's also have other petrol/deisel cars also, probably Range Rovers or some other SUV.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

VW actually released a car which can achieve a genuine 200mpg day to day...then stopped making it (sure it's nothing to do with the fact it was £100k :D). They did sell out the entire production run TBF.

I totally agree there should be more focus on making cars smaller and lighter. If you actually work out how much of the fuel in a car moves you and not just the car itself it's tiny. Like 1% tiny!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Ant wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:24 pm
Many SUVs are useful for families with kids, dogs etc. They're not just a vanity purchase, it's a vehicle you can use. Small cars are a struggle for some people. What mpg do you think an SUV does or doesn't do?
I've tried and failed to find an article I read last year, IIRC, which evidenced the rise in efficiency of ICE vs. the real world decrease in MPG, the primary cause being that the newer, more efficient engines are thrown into an SUV which hauls around a 4WD system that is rarely, if ever, used and is much less aerodynamic.

That said, I'm a hypocrite, as I have one. In part that's the fault of manufacturers who stopped making estates in favour of SUVs, but then only because people liked the image they portray.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Ant

Post by Ant »

There's plenty of smaller and lighter cars on the market. People have a choice based on what they need based on how they live their life. If you're a single person who does nothing, a Fiat 500 might do. If you're a single person out most weekends doing hobbies etc, you'll need something bigger. If you're a family with three kids and a dog, you'll need something else.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's not so much the AWD as the fact it's a fucking parachute lugging around a skip full of bricks

It's about as obvious as you'd guess. Mass and size swamp everything. That's why EVs are tending towards the 'used bar of soap' looks, it's all about aero.
Ant

Post by Ant »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:35 pm
I've tried and failed to find an article I read last year, IIRC, which evidenced the rise in efficiency of ICE vs. the real world decrease in MPG, the primary cause being that the newer, more efficient engines are thrown into an SUV which hauls around a 4WD system that is rarely, if ever, used and is much less aerodynamic.

That said, I'm a hypocrite, as I have one. In part that's the fault of manufacturers who stopped making estates in favour of SUVs, but then only because people liked the image they portray.
Most on the market aren't even 4WD, you can get something like a Qashqai which does 70mpg. Though plenty of estates still around, though I must say, we have an E class estate which is big and even that at times we've filled it up and thought, we need a roof box!
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I'm as guilty as we've had a few SUV and each one used more fuel than the car equivalent size wise, Kuga used more fuel than focus estate, GLC used more fuel than C Class estate, X3 used more fuel than 3 series and 5 series estate, sportage used more fuel than ceed estate. All handled worse than the cars and all had more expensive tyres and servicing. All had equivalent engines. In the case of the kuga and GLC they did 35mpg compared to 50mpg for the cars, same driver same use.
Back with a big estate car now which is bigger than all the SUV we've had and doing more mpg than all of them.

There just isn't a genuine argument for them
Ant

Post by Ant »

Couchy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:43 pm

I'm as guilty as we've had a few SUV and each one used more fuel than the car equivalent size wise, Kuga used more fuel than focus estate, GLC used more fuel than C Class estate, X3 used more fuel than 3 series and 5 series estate, sportage used more fuel than ceed estate. All handled worse than the cars and all had more expensive tyres and servicing. All had equivalent engines. In the case of the kuga and GLC they did 35mpg compared to 50mpg for the cars, same driver same use.
Back with a big estate car now which is bigger than all the SUV we've had and doing more mpg than all of them.

To be fair, you haven't exactly picked the most efficient SUVs.

Plus no one needs an argument for them, people have a choice and if it does indeed use more fuel, they'll be paying for it.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I'm just about to buy a Dacia Duster, I suppose that counts as an SUV.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Couchy wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:43 pm Back with a big estate car now which is bigger than all the SUV we've had and doing more mpg than all of them.

Agreed.

My missus really wants a big, comfy SUV next, something like an X5. I continue to work on her to steer her towards a 5-series estate which, with the same engines, will be faster, quieter, more comfortable, better riding, better handling, more economical, cheaper on parts, more practical and significantly cheaper to buy 2nd hand.

But she likes the looks of SUVs.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Plus you can actually park it.

It's half way between comedy and tragedy, watching all the mums and dads (and it is both) failing to manoeuvre their X5s and Cayennes around the school car park.