Re: In todays news...

Post by Screwdriver »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:02 pm Yellow snow warning :D

https://news.sky.com/story/uk-weather-y ... c-12787285
Felix

Post by Felix »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:59 am
JackyJoll wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:37 pm You sound like you are “In the infantile world of such motorcycle clubs.”
Nope, told one the Windsor HA back in the day that "I didn't need a fucking patch to be someone". That went over well.
One turned up at a rally i was at in Holland befotre covid hit. He had two prospects with him who looked about 18 and very clean. They followed him everywhere so much so they stood outside when he went to the shitter. He wanted a beer off one would run. Burger the other would go to the burger bar. It was all quite amusing and even the HA was having a laugh about it. He seemed to know a lot of lads from the other clubs and was getting his boys to run for beer for them also.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Felix wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:35 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 7:59 am
JackyJoll wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:37 pm You sound like you are “In the infantile world of such motorcycle clubs.”
Nope, told one the Windsor HA back in the day that "I didn't need a fucking patch to be someone". That went over well.
One turned up at a rally i was at in Holland befotre covid hit. He had two prospects with him who looked about 18 and very clean. They followed him everywhere so much so they stood outside when he went to the shitter. He wanted a beer off one would run. Burger the other would go to the burger bar. It was all quite amusing and even the HA was having a laugh about it. He seemed to know a lot of lads from the other clubs and was getting his boys to run for beer for them also.
Makes you wonder what kind of gimp they want in the club though eh?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

My last interface with patch bikers was a couple of years ago. I pulled in to a rest are where there were toilets, picnic benches and a burger shack. There were 2 bikes parked up, laden down with camping gear etc, and I parked alongside and wandered up to the burger bar and then out to the picnic area with my scoff. 2 bikers are sat there, and (as you do) I sort of nodded and said Hi. I was expecting to pass the time of day briefly en passant, or if they responded positively I might have sat down at the same large table. Their jackets were off, and patches facing away from me.

Anyway I got a couple of grunts in reply, and at least one non-welcoming scowl, so I carried my burger on to another table. They were obviously feeling antisocial, and that was OK with me. Quite why anyone should wish to join their organization is beyond me.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I wonder if we'll get a similar threatening photo like the one on VD.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Mussels wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:34 pm I wonder if we'll get a similar threatening photo like the one on VD.
Someone is bound to have saved it.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mussels wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:34 pm I wonder if we'll get a similar threatening photo like the one on VD.
Eh ?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I remember that. The jacket on the chair, VD on the screen.

Can't remember which colours/patch though.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:38 pm

The 'in joke' had legs. I recall someone dissing the local B&Q monkeys,so I marked their card by posting this pic.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

It was HA, posted by an unfamiliar account.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I thought that was TRC. I remember WB getting all humpty about folk talking about them.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:56 pm

It was HA, posted by an unfamiliar account.
I couldn't remember if it was US or the UK East Neasden chapter.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I remember that one (on VD).

Probably have a copy of it somewhere...
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Skub wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:56 pm

The 'in joke' had legs. I recall someone dissing the local B&Q monkeys,so I marked their card by posting this pic.

Fairly sure I'd fired up a photo of a Southwest Roofing vizzy vest on a seat back as well. Can't remember the pisstake exactly but I can remember doing the photo.

On about todays news theres this tax dodging cabinet minister.

Tory minister Nadhim Zahawi has agreed to pay a seven-figure sum to the taxman, reports say
NADHIM Zahawi, the former chancellor and chairman of the Conservative Party, has agreed to pay millions of pounds to settle a tax dispute with the HMRC.

The MP, who now serves as a minister without portfolio in Cabinet Office, has agreed to pay a seven-figure sum to the taxman after scrutiny of his family’s financial affairs, according to the Sun. The paper said the dispute was linked to his family trust, the Gibraltar-registered Balshore Investments.
News

Dental Implants Prices in Turkey May Surprise You
Ad
Aporia | Search Ads
The National
Top Tory minister to pay millions to HMRC to settle tax dispute
Xander Elliards
Sun, 15 January 2023, 2:55 pm GMT·2-min read
In this article:
Tory minister Nadhim Zahawi has agreed to pay a seven-figure sum to the taxman, reports say <i>(Image: PA)</i>
Tory minister Nadhim Zahawi has agreed to pay a seven-figure sum to the taxman, reports say (Image: PA)
NADHIM Zahawi, the former chancellor and chairman of the Conservative Party, has agreed to pay millions of pounds to settle a tax dispute with the HMRC.

The MP, who now serves as a minister without portfolio in Cabinet Office, has agreed to pay a seven-figure sum to the taxman after scrutiny of his family’s financial affairs, according to the Sun. The paper said the dispute was linked to his family trust, the Gibraltar-registered Balshore Investments.

In July 2022, while he was running in the race to take over as Tory leader which was eventually won by Liz Truss, Zahawi was reportedly being investigated by HMRC after a secret inquiry was initially launched in 2020 by the National Crime Agency (NCA).

READ MORE: Chair of Anti-Corruption unit raises concerns over new UK Chancellor Zahawi

The Independent also reported that the Serious Fraud Office (SFO) had investigated Zahawi’s financial affairs.

Rebutting the stories which he repeatedly called “smears”, Zahawi said he was not under investigation.

He said: “There have been news stories over the last few days which are inaccurate, unfair and are clearly smears. It’s very sad that such smears should be circulated and sadder still that they have been published.

“These smears have falsely claimed that the Serious Fraud Office, the National Crime Agency, and HMRC are looking into me. Let me be absolutely clear. I am not aware of this. I have not been told that this is the case.

“I’ve always declared my financial interests and paid my taxes in the UK. If there are questions, of course, I will answer any questions HMRC has of me.”

Zahawi (above) is believed to be one of the richest MPs in the House of Commons, said to be worth more than £100 million. He helped found polling company YouGov.

Questions had been asked if Zahawi had avoided tax by holding shares in the polling firm in an offshore company.

Labour chair Anneliese Dodds said there were serious questions for the Prime Minister and Zahawi to answer.

“Why did Nadhim Zahawi claim last summer that he had paid his taxes in full, and that he wasn’t aware of an investigation? When was he made aware of an investigation? Was the prime minister aware of an investigation when he appointed Nadhim Zahawi to the cabinet?
“Finally, why did Nadhim Zahawi claim he was not a beneficiary of his family trust – Balshore Investments – when records show that the money he owed YouGov was paid from the trust?

“Not for the first time, Rishi Sunak’s judgment has been called into serious question. The question remains: is he strong enough to sack Nadhim Zahawi?”

A spokesman for Zahawi told The Sun he had “never had to instruct any lawyers to deal with HMRC on his behalf”.

“As he has previously stated, his taxes are properly declared and paid in the UK.”

A spokesperson for HMRC said: “We cannot comment on identifiable taxpayers.”
Felix

Post by Felix »

mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Felix wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:56 pm Lose the cell key :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64309628
I'm always slightly nonplussed at the emotions that a 20 year old girl evokes who is protesting peacefully against toxic polluters. In what way do you feel threatened by her to the extent that you want to see her locked up indefinitely? How is she making your life in any way worse? Are you happy that a mine that produces some of the dirtiest form of coal is being reopened?
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Felix

Post by Felix »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:59 pm
Felix wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:56 pm Lose the cell key :lol:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-64309628
I'm always slightly nonplussed at the emotions that a 20 year old girl evokes who is protesting peacefully against toxic polluters. In what way do you feel threatened by her to the extent that you want to see her locked up indefinitely? How is she making your life in any way worse? Are you happy that a mine that produces some of the dirtiest form of coal is being reopened?
Thankfully we are not all the same. We dont like the same things or the same people. I find it funny that she was detained so i posted it in here as it was meant to be the funny side of news thread but like when it was on TRC it was taken over by all the miserable folk who just want to rabbit politics and question folks actions for the sake of some point scoring shit.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:59 pm I'm always slightly nonplussed at the emotions that a 20 year old girl evokes who is protesting peacefully against toxic polluters. In what way do you feel threatened by her to the extent that you want to see her locked up indefinitely? How is she making your life in any way worse? Are you happy that a mine that produces some of the dirtiest form of coal is being reopened?
She is a pawn who has been brainwashed by her parents and féted by the rich and powerful who also used her to express their own meaningless virtue signalling. I don't believe any of them.

As for the coal mine, it is part of a deal struck between the government and the green lobby as the very last mining operation before we all end up paying ten times more on our energy bills. Such protests are pointless and extraordinarily expensive. Guess who gets to pay for the vast sums of money spent on trying to prevent sabotage and delays? Yeah, we do.

If those yobs hanging in trees, vandalising and sabotaging the infrastructure we all rely on to maintain our society spent as much time on planning how to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, then I could get behind them. The tactics of "direct action", pissing people off and moaning about stuff never pays off, an irresistible force meets an immovable object and the result is a complete waste of time and energy.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Felix wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:43 pm I find it funny that she was detained so i posted it in here as it was meant to be the funny side of news thread
Felix wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 11:22 am Jokes are shite when you have to explain them.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Screwdriver wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:00 am
mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:59 pm I'm always slightly nonplussed at the emotions that a 20 year old girl evokes who is protesting peacefully against toxic polluters. In what way do you feel threatened by her to the extent that you want to see her locked up indefinitely? How is she making your life in any way worse? Are you happy that a mine that produces some of the dirtiest form of coal is being reopened?
She is a pawn who has been brainwashed by her parents and féted by the rich and powerful who also used her to express their own meaningless virtue signalling. I don't believe any of them.
That is a post of quite breathtaking condescension. It's also unconsciously misogynistic. You just 'know' this, right, without needing to provide any proof? At the very least just admit that it's a purely subjective opinion.
Screwdriver wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:00 am As for the coal mine, it is part of a deal struck between the government and the green lobby as the very last mining operation before we all end up paying ten times more on our energy bills. Such protests are pointless and extraordinarily expensive. Guess who gets to pay for the vast sums of money spent on trying to prevent sabotage and delays? Yeah, we do.

If those yobs hanging in trees, vandalising and sabotaging the infrastructure we all rely on to maintain our society spent as much time on planning how to reduce our reliance on fossil fuels, then I could get behind them. The tactics of "direct action", pissing people off and moaning about stuff never pays off, an irresistible force meets an immovable object and the result is a complete waste of time and energy.
Greta wasn't vandalising anything, neither were those protesting with her. The protest was entirely peaceful. Time to put away the mock outrage. And as for 'direct action', just ask the French whether it works or not.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.