Yorick

Re: Yamaha MT09-SP Demo Ride

Post by Yorick »

FB_IMG_1673874228314.jpg
FB_IMG_1673874228314.jpg (56.97 KiB) Viewed 519 times
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

tricol wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:50 am I'm easily put off with these types of things, and a few people saying save my money and get the base model gets me mulling over the decision.
Fuck 'em, it ain't their bike, they ain't going to be riding it.
Personally I'd keep the Trident as I have a soft spot for Triumphs and I like the look of it, but again, it ain't my bike or my decision to make, get the one you want bought and enjoy it.

I appreciate forums of like minded folk are handy and useful tool for making these kinds of decisions, but don't second guess yourself, you rode it and liked it, crack on.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

If you want it and can afford it, buy it and enjoy it, all the bikes I've bought on impulse have been great, I made the mistake of listening to other people once and bought a GSX750ET rather than the CB750FA I wanted, the GSX was a bit shit and I was never happy with it, I wasn't sad when the centre big ends gave up.
Honda Owner
tricol

Post by tricol »

I do appreciate all the comments. I understand where everyone comes from. I was always going to move on from the Trident 2-3 years after getting it. I had narrowed it down to an MT09 or the STR. I've already had a demo ride on the STR. Loved it, a classier machine, but the MT09 I rode last week made me giggle a bit more. Looks wise, I like the proportions. I get the headlight critisism, and there is some exposed wiring looms etc, but that won't bother me over its ownership. I've only been riding a couple of years, I'll probably never get near the limits of it, but the blingy suspension is nice to have. Plus I do like to tinker. I'll do a couple of trackdays, but again I'm not chasing lap times, just want to have fun.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Me, I’d buy the best equipped I could afford.

To hell with scrimping on spec then spending thousands on getting it to near what you could have had in the first place.

If you can only afford council spec then fair enough but to buy that and then spend again to upgrade….why?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

tricol wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 1:30 pm I do appreciate all the comments. I understand where everyone comes from. I was always going to move on from the Trident 2-3 years after getting it. I had narrowed it down to an MT09 or the STR. I've already had a demo ride on the STR. Loved it, a classier machine, but the MT09 I rode last week made me giggle a bit more. Looks wise, I like the proportions. I get the headlight critisism, and there is some exposed wiring looms etc, but that won't bother me over its ownership. I've only been riding a couple of years, I'll probably never get near the limits of it, but the blingy suspension is nice to have. Plus I do like to tinker. I'll do a couple of trackdays, but again I'm not chasing lap times, just want to have fun.
From what I've read (and I've not ridden one) the ST's both little and large are great bikes but are sort of sportsbikes without farings and have lost the fun they used to have. I'd have an MT09 over a STR. Fun is where it is on a bike and the reason I 'Only' had a 690 for 6 years. That CP3 engine has a lot of fun baked into it and for me I'd take smiles over lap times.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:56 pm I'd make the point that the base MT-09 has a list price of £8,999, compared to the SP's list of £10,202, so the difference isn't £2k, it's £1.2k.
That's the price I saw........guess they're discounted a bit now (as everyone buys a lidl version and then tricks them up ;) )
Screenshot_20230116-144356_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230116-144356_Chrome.jpg (492.5 KiB) Viewed 464 times
Le_Fromage_Grande

I'd have the Street Triple based purely on it being prettier, but you're not me so buy what you want.
But, I don't think Triumphs are good value for money, they're expensive for what you get.
Honda Owner
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I was looking at outdated prices. Current list prices are £9,800 (MT-09) and £11,300 (MT-09 SP) so the price difference has widened to £1.5k. That doesn't take into account any deals that might be available. On balance I reckon that you'd still be ahead pricewise buying the SP over a blinged-out base model, but not by as much. Plus it would be good to go straight out of the crate.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

The gen 3 came out in 2021 afaik. Since then, just colour changes. Sp get the gold forks and adjustable preload which might be beneficial to some, but I ride solo and the base setup has been fine, a little hard if anything but not bouncy.

A puig sport screen helps with headlight appearance and wind blast. Heated grips need adding but thats it. I've done trips and trackdays, no pillion work and the bike handles superb.

If it was me I'd go with the 21/22 pre reg, no miles. £8100. I have seen SPs with very low miles for similar money, so there's something to consider, secondhand sp. Value for money, either is right up there. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
tricol

Post by tricol »

The SP I've put a deposit on is £10k. It's a 2022 bike.

Just been in touch with Cubo Moto as I'd noticed an ad were they are looking for new stock. They also offered £4500 cash. Must be some margins in bike sales. They'd likely sell it right now for £6250/£6500, that's where the market for the Trident seems to be for used examples.
Yamaha MT09 SP
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Gone are the days of dealers wanting to make £1000 on a deal, they now want £2000 as you're seeing.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Dodgy69 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:56 pm The gen 3 came out in 2021 afaik. Since then, just colour changes. Sp get the gold forks and adjustable preload which might be beneficial to some, but I ride solo and the base setup has been fine, a little hard if anything but not bouncy.

A puig sport screen helps with headlight appearance and wind blast. Heated grips need adding but thats it. I've done trips and trackdays, no pillion work and the bike handles superb.

If it was me I'd go with the 21/22 pre reg, no miles. £8100. I have seen SPs with very low miles for similar money, so there's something to consider, secondhand sp. Value for money, either is right up there. 👍
Looking at pics of the SP the forks are fully adjustable, and the US Yamaha website says they are, the European website is seriously lacking in info, adjustable suspension is only any good if there's enough adjustment to make a difference, my Suzuki comes with 10mm preload adjustment at each end, which makes no difference to how the bike handles at all (but there are people on the internet who claim that adjusting the preload transforms how it handles)
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:18 pm Gone are the days of dealers wanting to make £1000 on a deal, they now want £2000 as you're seeing.
So, in response to all the channels for buying and selling increasing, the dealers answer is to try and squeeze more money out of a decreasing number of deals? There's only one way this ends isn't there? Fewer dealers.

(Years ago, in another life, we had a business game/model for trainees to play with. You could change certain variables like unit price, number of outlets, money spent on refurbishment of outlets, advertising budget etc. One bright spark found the limits of the parameters in the model. He closed all the outlets apart from one and stocked one item at £1M. He won. Looks like that's the dealer end game).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
tricol

Post by tricol »

It's pretty obvious what a dealer wants from you. As much money as possible. They don't give a toss about your situation. They'll offer the bare minimum in every scenario. Just like my experiences so far. They're all sharks.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

tricol wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:47 pm It's pretty obvious what a dealer wants from you. As much money as possible. They don't give a toss about your situation. They'll offer the bare minimum in every scenario. Just like my experiences so far. They're all sharks.
More like drug dealers really, we have what you want, we control the supply, how far are you prepared to debase yourself to get what you want? The model is a) broken b) doomed. In future, if you want new, you'll buy on-line from the manufacturer and take their finance package. If you want s/h you'll buy from whoever the manufacturer punts any part-x's to or others that buy them at auction. Where cars go, bikes follow.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

mangocrazy wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:56 pm In particular the Ohlins shock has the all important remote preload adjuster (this costs at least £200 extra when specifying it on a new shock)
Having discovered that the base model 2019 Tracer 900 rear shock is not preload adjustable from the roadside without the remote preload adjuster, that feature IS worth having... and I hate paying for anything I don't absolutely need to.

I never did figure out how to up the preload on the Tracer... I certainly couldn't get the ring spanner in the tool kit in from the sides - I suspected the rear wheel has to come out to get access to the ring!

I ended up grounding the centre stand at regular intervals on the saggy-arsed bike round NZ.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I've been a fan of remote preload adjusters (hereinafter referred to as RPAs) since 1989 when I bought a new VFR750F, which had one. Being able to remove a sidepanel (only needed a coin) and alter preload to suit solo or pillion just by turning a thumbwheel was a game-changer for me. Any bike I buy which is liable to do any amount of 2-up work will get fitted with a shock that has a RPA. Being able to buy a bike with one as standard (and an Ohlins at that) gets my attention straight away.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Always thought if I bought a fancy shock I'd want remote preload. But then I remember I've taken 2 pillions (well 1 twice) in 15 years. Right heavy bugger he is too, but each time only the 16 miles to Stevenage so even then I'd probably not bother adjusting it.
tricol

Post by tricol »

Webuyanybike valued the bike at £4400. Guess I definitely know what I need to do now.

Agree with you @Count Steer about dealers and where they are going.
Yamaha MT09 SP