Tumble drier vent

What non motorbike related things are you doing, making, building, planning or designing
mel

Re: Tumble drier vent

Post by mel »

demographic wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:40 pm Oh and don't use it on hammer, I'm surprised nobodys mentioned it yet.
Oh do keep up pls

Yeah, diamond core drill....do not use hammer action. Patience is a virtue. Unfortunately Skubs is in Norn Iron otherwise he could borrow all my 'used once' stuff. :thumbup:
These users thanked the author Count Steer for the post:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

mel wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:11 pm
demographic wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:40 pm Oh and don't use it on hammer, I'm surprised nobodys mentioned it yet.
Oh do keep up pls

Yeah, diamond core drill....do not use hammer action. Patience is a virtue. Unfortunately Skubs is in Norn Iron otherwise he could borrow all my 'used once' stuff. :thumbup:
Err... oh... nevermind.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:17 pm
mel wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:11 pm
Oh do keep up pls

Err... oh... nevermind.
:lol:

On the bright side this would normally have evolved into a ding dong argument where a qualified fish fryer with an 'O' Level in macramé absolutely insisted that hammer action must be used, much to the discombobulation of members of the King's Own Regiment of Wall Perforators and the gathering professors of extract hood fitting.

:lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
cheb

Post by cheb »

Installing my heating system included having to drill two 1,200mm long 100mm diameter holes through some poured mass concrete and a wall built from Lewisian Gneiss. I used a Bosch SDS drill, diamond tipped core drills, TCT tipped core drills, a variety of home made extensions and chisels.

I found that the TCT tipped drills will still work tolerably even when down to one tooth remaining and that the diamond drills cut better on hammer. I wasn't concerned about knock out at the end of the holes as they were below ground level. Nor was I concerned about the longevity of the diamond bits, I just wanted the holes drilled. I don't know how many man hours it took but they were all tedious.

I also installed my own gas pipes and appliances. There's no registered gas plumbers on the island and I wouldn't trust the visiting one for the quality of his work. The rental has no gas fitted because of the expense of certification.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

If I ever design my own house I'm going for the 'industrial chic' approach. No services will be buried in floors, walls or hidden in lofts (apart from the heat exchanger for the heating system). The workings of the house (it being a 'machine for living in') will be out and proud.

The place might look like the Pompidou Centre. :D
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:53 am If I ever design my own house I'm going for the 'industrial chic' approach. No services will be buried in floors, walls or hidden in lofts (apart from the heat exchanger for the heating system). The workings of the house (it being a 'machine for living in') will be out and proud.

I ripped out my hot water tank earlier this year. It joins the bathroom and kitchen and having a service riser is making life so much easier
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Skub wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 6:51 pm I've a cheap SDS like this one. It has seen little use up until now,should do the job.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/erbauer-erh7 ... lsrc=aw.ds
https://www.screwfix.com/p/diamond-core ... ores/8252v

That kit will do everything you need on top of your drill, set the speed to low, turn off hammer ;) and make sure you have the hand grip attached firmly.

Drill a pilot hole all the way through to start with.
Use pilot drill in core bit / arbor to get you started then remove it
Apply reasonable pressure and take your time
Cut form both sides to prevent breakout

Or hire the kit, my local place charges a pittance for the correct drill and core bit

Or get a grown up to help :D
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mussels wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 10:03 am
Count Steer wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 9:53 am If I ever design my own house I'm going for the 'industrial chic' approach. No services will be buried in floors, walls or hidden in lofts (apart from the heat exchanger for the heating system). The workings of the house (it being a 'machine for living in') will be out and proud.

I ripped out my hot water tank earlier this year. It joins the bathroom and kitchen and having a service riser is making life so much easier
In the house in France I have 500mm thick walls made of big rocks to contend with, so services have to run vertically. I used cable tray (as used for data centre cabling etc.) running top to bottom and then branch off as required. If the cabling/plumbing is done neatly then it does a fair job of 'industrial chic'. You can also suspend cable tray from threaded rod if you want to go the whole hog.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Being a lazy sod I’d buy a condenser drier instead :thumbup:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:53 pm
In the house in France I have 500mm thick walls made of big rocks to contend with, so services have to run vertically. I used cable tray (as used for data centre cabling etc.) running top to bottom and then branch off as required. If the cabling/plumbing is done neatly then it does a fair job of 'industrial chic'. You can also suspend cable tray from threaded rod if you want to go the whole hog.
I wanted similar for my rewiring job but my electricien just couldn't get his head round it for some reason. He wouldve been quite happy with effing nasty plastic ducting though! In the end we opted for a minimal amount of chasing but tbh he made a bit of an arse of that too. Once I finished weeping I just decided I would just le him do it and fix it myself in my own time. In his defence, the rewiring job has been 100% reliable.

When it comes to drilling big old holes in walls I'm fairly lucky as my place is sandstone, so relatively soft although pretty thick.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:17 pm
I wanted similar for my rewiring job but my electricien just couldn't get his head round it for some reason.
At the previous house I got a (very large, national) company to quote for fitting an alarm system. I thought, 'This'll be a doddle, single storey building, suspended ceilings throughout, piece of cake'. The blokes who turned up to spec the job went 'Oooerrr, don't know about that'.

I asked them how they normally did it and they said that they normally 'just' go upstairs, take the flooring up and do the cabling. I thanked them for their time, hustled them off the premises and got a local company to do it. Their chap said 'Woohoo! Suspended ceilings. Piece of cake'. :D
Voltaire
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:17 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:53 pm
I wanted similar for my rewiring job but my electricien just couldn't get his head round it for some reason. He wouldve been quite happy with effing nasty plastic ducting though! In the end we opted for a minimal amount of chasing but tbh he made a bit of an arse of that too. Once I finished weeping I just decided I would just le him do it and fix it myself in my own time. In his defence, the rewiring job has been 100% reliable.

When it comes to drilling big old holes in walls I'm fairly lucky as my place is sandstone, so relatively soft although pretty thick.
Before I retired I worked in the IT department of a major UK Bank, and most of the time in offices housed in the data centre. By a happy coincidence I needed large amounts of cable tray just as the Facilities department were getting rid of a load of unused cable tray that wasn't to the latest spec. So I got a vanload of the stuff for free. I've still got some bits left but I'm astonished at how much the gaff has swallowed.

Our place has all sorts of types of rocks/boulders in the walls. A fair amount are soft enough to drill, some shatter as soon as you go near them with a hammer drill and on some a hammer drill just bounces off, making sparks...
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 2:28 pm
At the previous house I got a (very large, national) company to quote for fitting an alarm system. I thought, 'This'll be a doddle, single storey building, suspended ceilings throughout, piece of cake'. The blokes who turned up to spec the job went 'Oooerrr, don't know about that'.

I asked them how they normally did it and they said that they normally 'just' go upstairs, take the flooring up and do the cabling. I thanked them for their time, hustled them off the premises and got a local company to do it. Their chap said 'Woohoo! Suspended ceilings. Piece of cake'. :D
Honestly the ideas they came up with to conceal some of the cabling were horrific. (I'd intended to be there to 'supervise' and answer questions but all the moving dates, and hence the window for rewiring, got shifted). Multiple holes drilled through joists, chasing done in nice stone door surrounds when 6 inches in the horizontal would have been less moronic. Should've strangled him.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Out here in the desert the vents attract snails..
Skub

Post by Skub »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:18 pm Out here in the desert the vents attract snails..
That's dinner sorted then. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Two jet skis. :(
Skub

Post by Skub »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:19 pm Two jet skis. :(
Didja mean to post that in the 'covers or garage' thread? :lol:
Walt Whitman
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Gregor wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 1:28 pm Being a lazy sod I’d buy a condenser drier instead :thumbup:
Thats what i did ....... no vents, pipes or hassle :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Big hole attained.

It took bloody ages,but a neat enough job. Knackered now!

Walt Whitman
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

So did you hire or buy the kit? Top job, very neat. :thumbup: