No
29%
Maybe
22%

Total votes: 41

wheelnut

Re: Will Russia invade the Ukraine?

Post by wheelnut »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:05 pm Well Trump did try to find out WTF was going on with corruption in Ukraine. Luckily he was impeached for asking such awkward questions or we'd all end up as conspiracy theorists.

Apparently, Disney released the film Frozen purely to confuse Google when people were googling Walt Disney Frozen to see if he was cryogenically frozen when he died.

I know this because I read it on the internet.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The fact it made such a lot of money was a lucky turn of events then wasn't it?
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

I honestly can't understand some of the apologist comments and downright "conspiracy <blah>" so it would be helpful to unpick it.
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:05 pm All the time Trump was POTUS Russia didn't invade any of Ukraine.
Trump is an asshole and also a bit of an idiot. Shoots from the hip, does not engage brain before running mouth. Etc. etc. Yes I get that. I agree.

He was POTUS when he had that conversation: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/09/25/poli ... index.html

I do not know the validity or accuracy of that particular transcript, looks right to me.

So yes, he was POTUS and yes that means it was ill advised because he is asking for "inside information" on some dodgy dealing that had been made by then Vice Pres Biden (involving his son, Hunter). Agree also that Russia did not invade while Trump was Pres.

It looks like we fully agree on the facts of this matter. What we may not agree on (I sense) is that I believe it is WAY more important to look at what the Biden mafia were up to than merely to criticise Trump for being such an idiot.
wheelnut wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:17 pm Apparently, Disney released the film Frozen purely to confuse Google when people were googling Walt Disney Frozen to see if he was cryogenically frozen when he died.

I know this because I read it on the internet.
Let me guess, this is some sort of attempt at humour? Or is it just boring old straw man argument? You might just as well have used some sort of "flat earth" reference if we have to fall to that level of intellect.

Better yet, why don't you actually say what YOU think the situation was and not just make snide comments.
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:23 pm The fact it made such a lot of money was a lucky turn of events then wasn't it?
Who? Walt Disney or the Biden Mafia?

I don't feel particularly "lucky" looking at my utilities bill though.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Trump is an obnoxious dickhead, but that doesn't make Biden good, but modern politics seems to be a ming mong, ping pong of that persons a baddy, so anyone standing against them must be a goody, I preferred politics in the 1980s when we accepted that all politicians were as bad as each other and no one was coming to save the world, if you wanted to improve your life you had to do it yourself.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Voting for politicians these days is all about choosing the least worst, or so it seems to me. Maybe it was ever thus. But when faced with Trump vs. Biden, it's a fairly obvious choice to me. Trump is not only an obnoxious dickhead, he's an extreme narcissist that views every choice through the prism of 'what's in it/what's best for me?' I don't know about you, but I would prefer if the keys to the Big Red Button weren't under his control. By contrast, sleepy Joe appears positively benign. I'm sure he isn't, but it's all about comparisons and appearances.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:13 pm Voting for politicians these days is all about choosing the least worst, or so it seems to me. Maybe it was ever thus. But when faced with Trump vs. Biden, it's a fairly obvious choice to me. Trump is not only an obnoxious dickhead, he's an extreme narcissist that views every choice through the prism of 'what's in it/what's best for me?' I don't know about you, but I would prefer if the keys to the Big Red Button weren't under his control. By contrast, sleepy Joe appears positively benign. I'm sure he isn't, but it's all about comparisons and appearances.
That^ absolutely.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When was the South Park episode with the vote (literally) between a Giant Douche and a Turd Sandwich?

I wanna say 10 years ago but I bet it's more like 20!

Horse

Post by Horse »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 9:57 pm I honestly can't understand some of the apologist comments and downright "conspiracy <blah>" so it would be helpful to unpick it.
Helpful? How, and to whom?

Be more stoic.

1. Focus on What You Can Control.
“You have power over your mind — not outside events. Realize this, and you will find strength.”
-Marcus Aurelius.

Like much from Stoicism, this principle aligns with teachings from Buddhism. There is nothing to be gained from worrying about events over which you have no control. And as the only thing you can control is yourself, you will be letting a lot of worries go.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
demographic

Post by demographic »

Christ this threads all over the shop.
This chap makes a bit of sense and neatly points out that Zelensky (sp?) is Jewish (or at least of Jewish heretage) which kind of goes against the "Russia fighting a country chocka filled with Nazis" line of propaganda.
Worth a watch and less of a bedsit experts guide.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Ain't it time Ukraine started sending some of those Yankee missiles in the Moscow direction. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Horse

Post by Horse »

Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:47 pm Ain't it time Ukraine started sending some of those Yankee missiles in the Moscow direction. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Unless they put the launch vehicle on a train, the missiles don't have the range.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Ant

Post by Ant »

demographic wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:36 pm Christ this threads all over the shop.
This chap makes a bit of sense and neatly points out that Zelensky (sp?) is Jewish (or at least of Jewish heretage) which kind of goes against the "Russia fighting a country chocka filled with Nazis" line of propaganda.
Having said that, in 2016 there were reports of a huge Nazi movement across Ukraine. I think some of the media hoped that some of us would forget that they reported on that.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:50 pm
Dodgy69 wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:47 pm Ain't it time Ukraine started sending some of those Yankee missiles in the Moscow direction. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Unless they put the launch vehicle on a train, the missiles don't have the range.
Their drones do and they send a fair few of them, I read they just developed one that carries a 100kg warhead.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Ant wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:51 pm
demographic wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 5:36 pm Christ this threads all over the shop.
Having said that, in 2016 there were reports of a huge Nazi movement across Ukraine. I think some of the media hoped that some of us would forget that they reported on that.
Wasn't that why they merged the Azov soldiers into the rest of the army? It was reported about after Putin invaded.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Mussels wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:01 pm
Ant wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:51 pm
Wasn't that why they merged the Azov soldiers into the rest of the army? It was reported about after Putin invaded.
I can't remember the details but I did see some archived reports on it earlier last year. Let me see if I can get at it, then I'll link it up.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Ant wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 7:03 pm I can't remember the details but I did see some archived reports on it earlier last year. Let me see if I can get at it, then I'll link it up.
In this very thread.
Screwdriver wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:07 pm
DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:51 pm
Potter wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:56 pm Interesting how there is not a single condemnation for Ukraine and their white supremacist Nazi army regiments.
Where are you seeing this information though. I've only heard the accusations, I've not seen even an attempt at any proof on credible media outlets. If it's all links to Youtube-ranting from the usual suspects than you'll have to excuse me for having had my blinkers on - it's automatic.
It won't be on the mainstream media but it's common knowledge for example that Zelensky needed support from the extreme right wing to secure his election victory. I think they were already operating as an independent counter insurgency group (in the Donbas region?). definitely not working for the regular Ukrainian armed forces, fighting against Russian "sympathisers" who definitely weren't just the Russian army in civvies.

I seem to recall watching a YouTube video where a journo follows these chaps while on ops. They are fucking hard core white supremacists which while despicable and indefensible, is exactly the sort of cunt you want fighting for you...

Just out of interest, you know Zelensky was an actor/comedian right? Life imitating art he played the part of someone who accidentally becomes the president. Damn, he looks good on telly...
Ant

Post by Ant »

Been trying to source where I saw it, but I can't link the original content, but basically in 2017 the BBC ran a story about the far right movement in Ukraine.
Potter

Post by Potter »

There were a couple of short documentaries, I think Vice did one, but you’re unlikely to see much in western media because a counter PR operation was in place to condemn the pro-Russians as the baddies.

I don’t think half the people posting actually understand what principles they think they support. It appears to be easy to get anyone to jump in to support western colonial ambitions even if it goes against the grain of what they pretend to support. I swear that if America announced a 21st century crusade and the reintroduction of slavery then they’d support it as long as they could somehow squeeze it into a Labour manifesto.
Ant

Post by Ant »

The original footage is on Gettr (it's like twitter but without the fascist opinion suppressors, pre Musk).
demographic

Post by demographic »

As with anything, the answer is nuanced but heres a fact check (with links to various other articles) that covers some of the the Ukranian Nazi stories.
https://www.dw.com/en/fact-check-is-the ... a-63970461

I think people are referring to the Azov Brigade? It covers that at the bottom, I can't copy it on my phone so you'll just have to ckick on the link to read it.
It's not a glowing endorsement but its also not showing widespread Nazis throughout Ukraine which is what zome people are suggesting, with little or nol supporting evidence/links/fact checks.