Keeping a bike outside or under a cover?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Supermofo

Re: Keeping a bike outside or under a cover?

Post by Supermofo »

Just been in my garage to grab something and noticed a couple of bits of mould growing, so after my last ride I must have missed a few flies. Didn't get that under a cover, whereas my garage which is separate to the house gets pretty cold/damp. Another wash needed, I was a bit lazy when I out it away last as the bike was pretty clean, but obviously not clean enough. Also surprised I picked some flies up in October!
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:33 pm Just been in my garage to grab something and noticed a couple of bits of mould growing, so after my last ride I must have missed a few flies. Didn't get that under a cover, whereas my garage which is separate to the house gets pretty cold/damp. Another wash needed, I was a bit lazy when I out it away last as the bike was pretty clean, but obviously not clean enough. Also surprised I picked some flies up in October!
I had the same last time i looked at the Ducati a few weeks after a quick ride in November as i never noticed the flies before i put it away :wtf:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:38 pm
Supermofo wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 7:33 pm Just been in my garage to grab something and noticed a couple of bits of mould growing, so after my last ride I must have missed a few flies. Didn't get that under a cover, whereas my garage which is separate to the house gets pretty cold/damp. Another wash needed, I was a bit lazy when I out it away last as the bike was pretty clean, but obviously not clean enough. Also surprised I picked some flies up in October!
I had the same last time i looked at the Ducati a few weeks after a quick ride in November as i never noticed the flies before i put it away :wtf:
Happens every year I'm not totally fastidious in cleaning the bike before putting it away. With the KTM one year I totally forgot the bike was covered in flies and thought I'd cleaned it. A couple of months later I was growing a carpet of mank :sick: Luckily it's only mouldy flies so cleaned off easily enough just grim.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:37 pm It either doesn't rust under a cover or it goes.
Short answer: You'd best get rid, then.

Slightly longer answer: If you CBA to treat the bike then if you're anywhere near the sea or on a road which gets salted, it will rust/corrode quite quickly and for certain. We're talking any exposed metal such as brake line fittings, fork legs, chain, wheel spacers, insides of calipers, etc. Even if you can and even if you're not, then it'll still rust, but (much) slower.

You'll also be waiting for the day someone parks into it, sits on it, steals it, the wind blows it over, the cover rips and it gets water trapped between the cover and the bike, cover flaps and rubs paint off (usually the seat unit where it's pulled tight), etc.
dern

Post by dern »

I used to keep a commuting triumph trophy outside. It didn't seem to do it much harm but it was alway manky looking and during the winter it never really got a chance to dry out which wouldn't have done it much good long term. I used dialectic grease to try and seal the connectors but god knows what was going on in the clocks and other places. If it's your only choice and you do some prep it'll be fine but I wouldn't expect it to feel as looked after as if you kept it inside.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Kept mine under a car port for quite a few years. If you can keep the rain off and keep things well ventilated that's 90% of the battle. Problem with covers is ventilation - as it can be with enclosed spaces like sheds and garages.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:37 pm But one day I might need that single roller skate or my outdated A-level Chemistry text books!

Any another thing, there will be no prepping or wiping things with rags. This is me we're talking about, all toity and full of myself, like one of Tolkein's High Elves. It either doesn't rust under a cover or it goes.
Well giving mine a better look over seems my header pipes are going in the garage! Were fine when I put it away, to be fair I've not ACF'd them or nothing but still!

Only on the top of the headers though (from heat? ) further down where they are shot blasted with road debris they are fine :think:

More rust than my 690 headers had in 6 years (also no ACF) but then again the Suzuki doesn't have a hand grenade sitting in the valve train :lol:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

If you actually have a garage but CBA to clear space for the bike in it, then I do wonder about your priorities.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

mangocrazy wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:48 pm If you actually have a garage but CBA to clear space for the bike in it, then I do wonder about your priorities.
Must admit I'd put my bike in the garage over anything, including my kids :lol:
Druid

Post by Druid »

I've kept a couple of bikes under a cover but I used them to commute. One was a VFR750, the other was a CBR600 and they were mostly ok but they were both Hondas. If I had a KTM it would go in the garage, but only because my wife would object to me keeping it in the dining room.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

V85TT has spent most of its time since I bought it 5 months ago under cover. Initially for security, subsequently for that and preservation. I don't have a garage. So far so good.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Well it seems fine, or broadly so at least.

It's a bit of a pain getting the cover off and on. And I left it off the last week as there was no chance of rain and the bike got covered in dust and bird poo.

But broadly speaking it's ok.

I'm not sure if I'd do it with a more expensive bike. I'm not sure why, maybe it would be fine.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Reminds me, I have an outdoor bike cover from these people https://www.classicadditions.com/en- ... dcat_1053 in the loft. It's large ie fitted a GS with luggage and I may even have got it over the LT. It's pretty substantial material and, iirc, soft inside to protect the paintwork.

Anyone wants it - for a small forum donation - drop me a PM.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire