Keeping a bike outside or under a cover?

Anything you like about motorbikes
MyLittleStudPony

Keeping a bike outside or under a cover?

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

I've kept my bikes in a garage for many years now. But I have less garage space at my new place (and more crap) than I thought.

There isn't really space for my KTM 390. What do you think about keeping it outside, under a cover? Will it go all rusty?

Security wouldn't be an issue.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Keeping a bike outside or under a cover?

Post by weeksy »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:20 am I've kept my bikes in a garage for many years now. But I have less garage space at my new place (and more crap) than I thought.

There isn't really space for my KTM 390. What do you think about keeping it outside, under a cover? Will it go all rusty?

Security wouldn't be an issue.
There's not much else you can do. I owned bikes that were under cover for years, it was only really the chain that suffered. Bit of acf50 on a rag and go over everything metal.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

wull

Post by wull »

ACF50 for the win, that will keep it good.

My only real concern with a bike outside under a cover is high winds, if you can keep it protected from that then there shouldn’t be a problem.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Make sure the bike is protected from the cover flapping about. A loose cover is a great way to remove paint over time.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Mine lived under a heavy Oxford cover for a few years when i didnt have a shed/garage to store them in. As already said they were treated in ACF50 for winter and the cover secured so it didnt flap. I also had an extra long lead for my trickle charger made to keep the battery alive during sub zero times as bump starting a GS1150 wasn't my idea of fun
MyLittleStudPony

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:30 am
With something like that, do you reckon I'd get away without the ACF50? That sounds like a right pain in the arse.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:19 pm
With something like that, do you reckon I'd get away without the ACF50? That sounds like a right pain in the arse.
A pain in the arse to spray a rag and wipe the bike? Lol it's 10 mins effort
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

My bikes lived outside under covers for years, they were always fine. OK they get wet/damp more but didn't cause issues. My Dad's 2004 Fazer only has 8k miles on it and looks absolutely mint and that's only ever been stored outside under a cover as he doesn't have a garage.

Get a decent cover with multiple clips to stop it flapping in winds
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:19 pm
I just cover the brakes and tyres and spray the entire bike (except the plastocs) from the can ..... even less than 10 minutes with a rag wiping everything

Heating the can up in very hot water right before spraying helps it mist better :thumbup:

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Buy a shed. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

I had that quandary after moving from a place with a garage to one without (and no side access to a shed either, nor place out front to put one!)

If you have a screen, it might be a good idea to take it off. My Honda was fine under a cover for years, but the Yamaha screen looked opaque after a winter under the cover. I've got a replacement which I take off now when I park it up.

Use the stickiest, nastiest chain lube and give it a spray when parking up to save the chain from rust (and remember to remove it again in the spring to stop it being grinding paste), and use some waterproof grease on the fork sliders and rear suspension rod - there's one for underwater applications like boat trailer axles. It works!

As for the rest, if you can spring for AC50, fine, if you can't because you are a bit more budget-challenged, just use Mr Sheen furniture polish - a can each side, and my XJ6 after spending its 12 years outside still looks pretty shiny and corrosion-free.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
MyLittleStudPony

Supermofo wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 1:45 pm My bikes lived outside under covers for years, they were always fine. OK they get wet/damp more but didn't cause issues. My Dad's 2004 Fazer only has 8k miles on it and looks absolutely mint and that's only ever been stored outside under a cover as he doesn't have a garage.

Get a decent cover with multiple clips to stop it flapping in winds
This is what I want to hear. Music to my ears.

I'll get a cover. :thumbup:
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:21 pm This is what I want to hear. Music to my ears.

I'll get a cover. :thumbup:
Should be fine with just a little preventative work... the baby KTMs I've seen on the road do corrode pretty well if they don't get a bit of TLC... the 125s ridden on L plates mostly look pretty horrid.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Druid

Post by Druid »

Get rid of some of the crap so you can put the bike in the garage where it's supposed to be.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Druid wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:53 pm Get rid of some of the crap so you can put the bike in the garage where it's supposed to be.
Thread winner. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
MyLittleStudPony

But one day I might need that single roller skate or my outdated A-level Chemistry text books!

Any another thing, there will be no prepping or wiping things with rags. This is me we're talking about, all toity and full of myself, like one of Tolkein's High Elves. It either doesn't rust under a cover or it goes.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

If it's crap, dump it and put the bike in there.
Half used bags of cement (lad I worked with pointed out that Gadaffi's garage even had a half used bag of cement next to the posh cars on the news footage he saw) don't need to be kept. Chuck it.
Skub

Post by Skub »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:37 pm It either doesn't rust under a cover or it goes rusty.
:thumbup:
Walt Whitman
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

I’ve had bikes under cover for years with no real corrosion to speak of.

The biggest problem was the wind causing the cover to flap and rip.

2 or 3 years was good going for a cover, some only lasting a year and I’ve tried expensive ones and cheap ones

It’s also a hassle taking it off and putting it back on especially if it rains in between.

In fact I’ve got one in my shed just now that I got for a few weeks before I got my shed. Quite expensive but every time I took it off the bike it was wet. I don’t know if it was leaking or condensation but I can’t in good faith sell it so it’s back in it’s packaging taking up space.