Depression

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
David

Re: Depression

Post by David »

Wscad wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:58 am Thank you taipan. Onwards and upwards but not with that effing camera 🙃
I had the camera jobby too (thankfully all clear) Thought the guy was trying to push me off the table. He actually said that if I need another check they would use a scan....
Good luck and GWS.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Anyone want to borrow a 18 year old Chinese teenager? Wife is guardian for her cousins daughter who is at Harrogate ladies college. £42k a year. She has a mate from Guangzhou who’s father is into gold or diamonds and the young lass gets £4K per month spending
money.

Well, she’s blown this months allowance ( December ) in and is on the cadge for a thousand till another 4K comes her way for January.

Anyone out there would like to chip in to help out?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Does she have a drug habit?
How do you blow a grand a week unless you’re properly having it large or on drugs?

I’ve spent some proper money on holiday or enjoying a break in a fancy hotel in London, but a grand a week disposable income is way more than I’d get through just living normally in the UK.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Potter wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:20 am How do you blow a grand a week unless you’re properly having it large or on drugs?
Teenage? Girl? = Shoes + fashion….
Bike Breaker

Post by Bike Breaker »

Screwdriver wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:24 am
Potter wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:20 am How do you blow a grand a week unless you’re properly having it large or on drugs?
Teenage? Girl? = Shoes + fashion….
watches? https://www.vacheron-constantin.com/gb/ ... lsrc=aw.ds
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

December? Maybe she was buying Christmas presents. When your family is that loaded the least anyone expects is a racehorse.

(That and a daily visit to Bettys :D )

Considering the cost of a place at the school the list of famous pupils is a bit :hmmm:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

A pal of Mrs.Skub has a daughter married to a rugby international. He gave his missus 2k to tide her over while he was away for a week. Three days in,she was looking for more as she'd blown it on a nice handbag.

The girl in the OP will have no idea how to handle money,or to budget,because she's never really had to do that. Papa is doing her no favours in the long run.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Rather than give her 4k a week, maybe give her 1k a week. Then she'll learn to budget. A bit ;)
Potter

Post by Potter »

My daughter will happily blow a hole in my credit card at Christmas, a visit to Burberry cost me three grand, but that’s a yearly one off. It’s easy to spend money, but a grand a week every week for fifty-two weeks a year on nothing in particular is more than I think is reasonable unless they’re fine dining every evening and shitting Hermes bags.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

the_priest wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:09 am Dealing with a daughter who stopped her meds, is feeling suicidal and has no hopes for the future. Depression is a total shitstorm of horror for those who care for those who are affected. There are no right words or sentiments, you just have to be there and hope for the best.
That last bit. Being there. There really are no right words. But, knowing that someone is there for you is the biggest thing. I would imagine that having your whole family 'on side' and 'there' is more than that. It's still madly tough on both sides. But being there with no pressure given just being there is the best.

Huge hugs to you xxx

Yorick wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:49 am
the_priest wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 12:09 am Dealing with a daughter who stopped her meds, is feeling suicidal and has no hopes for the future. Depression is a total shitstorm of horror for those who care for those who are affected. There are no right words or sentiments, you just have to be there and hope for the best.
If they can cure cancer, why can't they make a happy drug.
There's lots of illegal happy drugs.

Why not a happy drug?

I could have used it in the past
Because it isn't that simple. No two versions of depression are the same or triggered in the same way. Some are psychological, some neurological/imbalance of chemicals in the brain etc etc. There have been huge steps in helping some types, but sadly, a 'happy drug' that fixes everyone just ain't possible

Yambo wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:06 am I was diagnosed with depression in 2000. My doctor suggested I may have had depression since my mother died, when I was 16. I don't know. I got out of the hole with physical exercise and keeping busy.

In 2009 my wife was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. She died in 2011 and I put the effort in to prevent slipping back into that black hole, it's always there, waiting. I kept busy, making things, 3 boats, 3 paddle boards other bits and pieces.

A couple of years ago my friendship with M developed into a relationship and she has changed my life. I still had my moments but generally things have been good.

On 27 December I was in the Okavanga Delta with M with no running water, electricity or Internet. My eldest son Richard went in to work at Preston police station and had a massive heart attack. They couldn't save him and he died in minutes. I had a dozen messages waiting for me on our return to Maun and suddenly that big black hole was there again.

I'll do what I need to do to not fall into it. M may have her work cut out, she has been fantastic already. The tributes to Rich on social media show that he was well loved by lots of friends and colleagues and was a good cop. I've always been proud of both my sons. I never expected to lose one, as that's not the way it goes, is it?

I have lots of jobs to when I get back to Turkey, paddle boards to re-furb, jobs on boats etc. I just hope I can find the motivation to get the sander going.
Oh Yambo. I'm so so sorry for you all. Life really does suck sometimes

I'm glad you have M and that she's fantastic. Huge hugs xxx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I read the posts on here and really wish I had a magic wand to fix life and words that make sense and help.

This time of year is tough on so many people - three years ago a really good mates daughter killed herself and I still can't really get that straight in my head, so god knows how my mate and his family deal with it. I suppose NYE helps me a smidge - another friend that died the same year wanted his ashes to be put in a firework so he could be fired up into the air! My friend's daughter 'sparkled'. So I watch the fireworks and smile and think of H and P and others. If I remember them whilst smiling at fireworks then I remember them with a smile. So they stay here with me a bit more.

This year I was very lucky in that my nephew was here for the two weeks over Christmas and New Year. Not brilliant in one way because I just didn't have the money for us to go out (SDad helped with the first week of ski school and the school is letting me pay for the second week in January when I get paid!) but meals out or going for drinks and apres just wasn't really possible.

BUT, despite the small fear about sharing such a small space with a teenage boy (17) that I've barely seen for the last 3 years, we had a fab time. He didn't seem too phased by not going out - but then he did lessons every morning and practice every afternoon, so was pretty knackered!! LOL And, he is firmly set on the idea of coming out to do a season as soon as he's finished A Levels!!

So, he did help dispel my usual Christmas/NY blues. He left yesterday and I miss him :( Not depressed as such, but not happy. Partly cos I have a stonking cold, but also because that two weeks, yet again, threw in my face how little contact I have with people I keep thinking are really good friends. I gave up putting out messages to meet on the group chat and won't try again. Need new friends that think in a similar way to me!!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Wife is a certified translator/interpreter for mandarin and Cantonese. She can go into any court of law in the country to do her job.

Harvey nicks in Leeds pester her two or three times a month to be a sales person. 5 days a week. A grand a week plus bonus.

John Lewis have offered 800/week plus bonus as have Zara. The Chinese have money to spend like no tomorrow.
tricol

Post by tricol »

So sorry to read that news @Yambo truly awful.
Yamaha MT09 SP
Scud

Post by Scud »

Shit Yambo, I’ve got no words that will help, but my thoughts are with you and yours.
Stay strong and take one day at a time
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Yambo wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 7:06 am I was diagnosed with depression in 2000. My doctor suggested I may have had depression since my mother died, when I was 16. I don't know. I got out of the hole with physical exercise and keeping busy.

In 2009 my wife was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. She died in 2011 and I put the effort in to prevent slipping back into that black hole, it's always there, waiting. I kept busy, making things, 3 boats, 3 paddle boards other bits and pieces.

A couple of years ago my friendship with M developed into a relationship and she has changed my life. I still had my moments but generally things have been good.

On 27 December I was in the Okavanga Delta with M with no running water, electricity or Internet. My eldest son Richard went in to work at Preston police station and had a massive heart attack. They couldn't save him and he died in minutes. I had a dozen messages waiting for me on our return to Maun and suddenly that big black hole was there again.

I'll do what I need to do to not fall into it. M may have her work cut out, she has been fantastic already. The tributes to Rich on social media show that he was well loved by lots of friends and colleagues and was a good cop. I've always been proud of both my sons. I never expected to lose one, as that's not the way it goes, is it?

I have lots of jobs to when I get back to Turkey, paddle boards to re-furb, jobs on boats etc. I just hope I can find the motivation to get the sander going.
Really sorry to hear this. I saw many many tributes to Richard on all the police pages that I frequent. Hard to know how to put it into words, but be assured that he won't be forgotten about, even across the whole UK Policing family we all feel your loss. Your son was out there doing his best, trying to help, and he DID make a difference.

The thin blue line gets thinner :( :(
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:19 am I'm not one for talking,
Or maybe I am.
I've had a rough couple of weeks, and was due to visit a GP on another matter so broached mental health with her, hey she already had my little head in her hands so talking about my big head wasn't going make me feel any more vulnerable / shit.

It's not something I wanted to talk about with the wife, although I suppose I will eventually, hell, how do you tell your life partner that you have suicidal thoughts without making them feeling like crap, but with the Doc it was refreshingly simple to get it out, and kind of surreal having an open frank conversation about means and methods and why I hadn't got round to it.

I've got a follow up appointment with her in a couple of weeks, so we'll see where we go then.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:33 pm
Or maybe I am.
I've had a rough couple of weeks, and was due to visit a GP on another matter so broached mental health with her, hey she already had my little head in her hands so talking about my big head wasn't going make me feel any more vulnerable / shit.

It's not something I wanted to talk about with the wife, although I suppose I will eventually, hell, how do you tell your life partner that you have suicidal thoughts without making them feeling like crap, but with the Doc it was refreshingly simple to get it out, and kind of surreal having an open frank conversation about means and methods and why I hadn't got round to it.

I've got a follow up appointment with her in a couple of weeks, so we'll see where we go then.
Small steps....
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:33 pm
Or maybe I am.

The hardest bit is the first time you ask for help and you’ve done that, hopefully that alone has helped and good luck with the follow up 👍
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Well done. Like Couchy says, that's not an easy thing to do. It takes some real bollocks. :thumbup:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Daughter walked yesterday and today with me in taking hound out and about. Small steps. We took dog to be groomed and she is utterly beautiful and daughter was happy to be with her.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.