What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
the_priest

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by the_priest »

A double dose of walking the dog in the rain. Time for a glass of wine I think... wife needs some too. Both children stayed home and warm and dry. Hound needs a good rinse down as very muddy, but very happy and relaxed.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
tricol

Post by tricol »

Went for a road bike ride in that awful weather. Glad I went out though, I think I actually enjoyed it...
Yamaha MT09 SP
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Put a telly up for Mrs M, usual complete faffage of cutting the mounting bolts to the specified length as the supplied ones were either too long or too short, visiting every shed for a specific tool (in the pissing rain dodging the lakes in the garden), then having to get an aerial extension lead as the old one came up about a foot short and despite plenty of slack being available in the loft, where it ran through the ceiling coving it had got all jammed up and no amount of tugging was going to free it up so a trip to the telly shop was required for a short extension lead.

Dogs have not been walked as its raining horribly here and Staffies melt in the rain.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Felix

Post by Felix »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 4:22 pm Put a telly up for Mrs M, usual complete faffage of cutting the mounting bolts to the specified length as the supplied ones were either too long or too short, visiting every shed for a specific tool (in the pissing rain dodging the lakes in the garden), then having to get an aerial extension lead as the old one came up about a foot short and despite plenty of slack being available in the loft, where it ran through the ceiling coving it had got all jammed up and no amount of tugging was going to free it up so a trip to the telly shop was required for a short extension lead.

Dogs have not been walked as its raining horribly here and Staffies melt in the rain.
When i put my TV on the wall i was happy just to get the wall mount straight. Put the bit on the TV and plugged everything in before hooking it up then OH. I was about 2cm to low for the unit that sat under the TV. Arse :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Had my first fall on the icy snow - not on skis!! Met the friends that continued skiing with my nephew when I bailed and walked with the boarder to get to the cafe. Yup - just slipped :roll: :roll: FFS - I've been SOOOOO careful!

No damage to metal bits. Did hit the back of my head, but I don't think that'll make much difference :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nephew and I got home and ate spag bol - now both chilling ready to sleep as I've suggested first lift tomorrow :lol: :lol: Just for about 40 mins before ski school :D Then I'll go see the physio and see what help he can offer after all the skiing :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

I always found when walking on snow/ice. If you walk gingerly like its slippy you will be on your arse or at least jar something. I tend to walk normal and its been years since i went all Bambi On Ice. Dont get me wrong i have had a few Oops moments but never bruised my arse. Wife on the other hand :lol: Im amazed i have never had her up to A&E and signing up to FUFA.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Heard and saw a woodpecker in my local woods this morning. Can't recall hearing them this early ever.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:26 am Heard and saw a woodpecker in my local woods this morning. Can't recall hearing them this early ever.
Woodpecker? They're year round residents in the most of England and non-migratory. :hmmm:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:26 am Heard and saw a woodpecker in my local woods this morning. Can't recall hearing them this early ever.
Don't they usually start until afternoon?
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:57 am
Don't they usually start until afternoon?
Only the retired ones.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:37 am
Woodpecker? They're year round residents in the most of England and non-migratory. :hmmm:
I know. Maybe they just keep the noise down in the winter months. I always seem to hear them more in early spring. Maybe it's just that this morning was a bit of a later one and that particular woodpecker was on the early shift.

Tried to video the little bugger as he was in clear view and quite low down. He hung around while I watched him, putting on his little tappity-tap show, carried on while I got my phone out, waited 'til I had the camera on, then promptly flew off. Sure I heard him laugh as he did....
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 10:33 am
Count Steer wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:37 am
I know. Maybe they just keep the noise down in the winter months. I always seem to hear them more in early spring. Maybe it's just that this morning was a bit of a later one and that particular woodpecker was on the early shift.

Tried to video the little bugger as he was in clear view and quite low down. He hung around while I watched him, putting on his little tappity-tap show, carried on while I got my phone out, waited 'til I had the camera on, then promptly flew off. Sure I heard him laugh as he did....
I'll have to pay more attention, but now you say it, I think you're right. I keep seeing them in the garden, but on the ground and at the pond. Maybe the beetles in tree bark are a bit hard to find during the cold weather? Maybe they hibernate so woody woodpecker has to find other supplies.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:42 am I always found when walking on snow/ice. If you walk gingerly like its slippy you will be on your arse or at least jar something. I tend to walk normal and its been years since i went all Bambi On Ice. Dont get me wrong i have had a few Oops moments but never bruised my arse. Wife on the other hand :lol: Im amazed i have never had her up to A&E and signing up to FUFA.
Oh totally, but decent footwear is the most important!! Bent knees second!! Unfortunately, I'm still wearing summer walking boots as I haven't been able to buy some winter boots yet. The summer ones look like they have half decent grip, but I suspect they are not as good as the usual winter ones.

I tend to walk carefully but be relaxed, cos if tense, that's definitely when it gets the better of me!! LOL I got caught out on a slope yesterday, but never mind!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Working from home today. Had a couple we know pop round to drop something off. He's a black cab driver, she works in school. Being a convivial host, I invite them in for coffee. After half an hour of chatting rubbish, my mate asks me what I'm going to do for the rest of the day.
'Thought I'd carry on working' says I.
Both their faces drop as they realise some people have to work and that not every bastard gets to sit on their arse between Christmas and New Year. :lol:
Skub

Post by Skub »

gremlin wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:43 pm Working from home today. Had a couple we know pop round to drop something off. He's a black cab driver, she works in school. Being a convivial host, I invite them in for coffee. After half an hour of chatting rubbish, my mate asks me what I'm going to do for the rest of the day.
'Thought I'd carry on working' says I.
Both their faces drop as they realise some people have to work and that not every bastard gets to sit on their arse between Christmas and New Year. :lol:
Holidays? :o

Humbug. :x

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Despite logging several tickets today is the first time I've spoken to my ISP's tech support, they phoned me to ask why they saw several connections in my area go down. :silent:
After I explained the local power dip we had a long chat about the poor standard of their modems and I've now been assured someone will be in touch to replace it.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Drove to GSF, picked up all the bits to service the wife's Ovlov (they were £50 cheaper than ECP).

Got home and decided it was warm and dry enough to just do it.

The air filter and cabin filter were a piece of piss, unfortunately three of the five front undertray bolts were seized solid. Ho Hum.

The grinder sorted those (melted the fixing while I was trying to grind the heads off).

My cheap wind on filter remover got some grip on the filter housing and it eventually came loose. It's got a drain plug on it, so you can drain the housing before removal!

Oil out, new filter, o-rings and sump refitted. Topped up with 5l of finest 0W20 to RBS0-2AE spec.

Under tray refitted... three of the ten bolts replaced with pop rivets (yeah a right fucking bodge).

Turns out that where I read 4.8 and 5.2l as capacities and assumed 5.2 was dry engine and 4.8 was a normal service... well 5.2 is required for full service and it's showing min on the dash :(

Got to go out tomogga and find a litre of RBS0-2AE!
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Got up fairly early, let dog out into the garden for calls of nature and for her to bark at the fox. Then went and did some shopping for New Year's Eve dinner stuff. Back home to collect wife so we could walk dog in the rain. Back home, did some breakfast and coffee. Back out again in the afternoon with my son walking said hound, longer walk as weather was dry and it was pleasantly warm at around 13C. Back home, continued work on assignment that is due in Feb, but requires a great deal of referencing and much reading. Holiday will be spent getting the bones of this laid out and then I can get it polished up and rolled in glitter for the hand in day. First time in ages I've had the inclination and time to get some academic work done well in advance.

Going to go and open a nice bottle of beer to share with the wife and sit back and relax for a bit.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Made arrangements to go and see a puppy tomorrow. Unless it turns out to be jikeys with a puppy farm, I can't see us coming home empty handed! So we've got a new years eve party and a new puppy running round the place. What could possibly go wrong! :?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got the wife her Xmas present. :wub: