Find me a van then...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Find me a van then...

Post by weeksy »

dern wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:07 am
weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:02 pm Security installed today on the van... Happy :)

OK so you can still open it with a can opener :D but it's as secure as a van gets
Did you get someone else to do it? That's my job on Friday to install the locks on mine.
Fuck yes... you didn't see how many holes he made.... and that was only the correct number and sizes. lol.

No way i was doing that myself matey.

Not wanting to put you off.... but it's a job for a grown up... and i'm not one.
dern

Post by dern »

If you're ever planning on going up crappy lanes and across muddy fields for the cycling events then a big improvement you can make to your chances of not needing recovery are to fit some off-road oriented tyres.

I fitted these 235/65/17 General Grabber AT3 108H to some 17x7 wheels to our T5 and even though it's front wheel drive it can cope with a fair bit of mud and wet grass inclines. This is the van fitted with them after a trip from Newbury to Manchester a few years back when there was snow covering most of the motorways until past Birmingham. During that week it was easily making its way across the back roads round our way with a foot of snow on them...

van.jpeg
van.jpeg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 541 times
I haven't done this on the Vivaro yet as I'm not sure I need that capability in both of them and it does make the driving feel a little slower/heavier. Having said that the VW has been across Europe down to the south of France twice with that tyre set on it and it was absolutely fine. It just doesn't feel quite a light as the standard wheels and tyres.
dern

Post by dern »

weeksy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:11 am
dern wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:07 am
weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 4:02 pm Security installed today on the van... Happy :)

OK so you can still open it with a can opener :D but it's as secure as a van gets
Did you get someone else to do it? That's my job on Friday to install the locks on mine.
Fuck yes... you didn't see how many holes he made.... and that was only the correct number and sizes. lol.

No way i was doing that myself matey.

Not wanting to put you off.... but it's a job for a grown up... and i'm not one.
Hold my beer.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Fitted 2 sets of these

Image2022-12-21_04-42-20 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

One on each door. It'll hold helmets, footwear, gloves etc. Just simply so we can see what he's got quickly and have it ready. Basic, but fairly effective 😁 keeps crap off the floor bouncing around
Felix

Post by Felix »

What you painted the floor with? It looks like Black Jack. At least it wont rust inside out if it is.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Next investment will be a wind out awning/safari room.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Felix wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:56 pm What you painted the floor with? It looks like Black Jack. At least it wont rust inside out if it is.
It's a covering but yes that's been painted. I think it's a standard Ford part, like a thick plastic thing.
Felix

Post by Felix »

weeksy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:01 pm
Felix wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:56 pm What you painted the floor with? It looks like Black Jack. At least it wont rust inside out if it is.
It's a covering but yes that's been painted. I think it's a standard Ford part, like a thick plastic thing.
Ah pre done. Black Jack is a bitumen paint. Used it in the cab of my last Convoy what worked well. Condensation just sat on it until it evaporated rather than rust the floor. Following year i managed to nail all the leaks so could put the foam back flooring in again.
Felix

Post by Felix »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:58 pm Next investment will be a wind out awning/safari room.
Much prefer the nylon ones. Up just as quick, lighter and takes up less room.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

A wind out awning takes almost 30 seconds and gets you fixing bikes out of the rain.

The safari room panels are just nice to have if you need to sit out of the wind.

There was a company in Leeds that made cheapo copies of the Fammia panels.
Felix

Post by Felix »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:15 pm

There was a company in Leeds that made cheapo copies of the Fammia panels.
Do you remember who? I know at least two people looking for them and the Fammia prices are eye watering.

30 seconds. Take you longer hunt the handle :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I wanted to put up a little update.

Couple of times the van threw up this on start-up.
Image52578247310_cfa2e3e327_k by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

It then leaves the warnings on while you drive.

After the 3rd instance i pinged an email to Anchor vans.

15 mins later i get a call from Calvin the sales guy i bought it from
"Are you in today we'll come and get it now"
"ummmm might be a problem as i need a van over Xmas holidays"
"yeah that's ok, we were bringing you another van anyway to borrow, another Custom so it's the same as yours"
"ok, ace..."

So it was dropped off...
4 hours later
"van is fixed, was a wire which had either rubbed or been eaten by mice, we've sorted it, can we drop it back today"

So the van came back and is all good.

But i wanted to highlight the difference between their service and others i've used. Speaking to the drop-off guy, it wasn't the fact it was my mates place, nor the fact it was nearby/close for them... it's just how they do it at Anchor Vans.. "if something isn't right, we sort it"

massively impressed.
G.P

Post by G.P »

^^^ Jesus! for a second there I suspected the worst! :)

Sounds like you're getting it nicely sorted.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I thought to myself "It'll be replaced between Xmas and New Year"
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

G.P wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:41 am ^^^ Jesus! for a second there I suspected the worst! :)

Sounds like you're getting it nicely sorted.
LOL due to the service from the place i'm really not worried. The Vito was different in the context that when something went wrong, neither the fix was forthcoming, nor the thought it would be.

This was literally "yup, we'll sort it..."

That's all i want in life. Solutions if there's a problem.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

dern wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:14 am If you're ever planning on going up crappy lanes and across muddy fields for the cycling events then a big improvement you can make to your chances of not needing recovery are to fit some off-road oriented tyres.

I fitted these 235/65/17 General Grabber AT3 108H to some 17x7 wheels to our T5 and even though it's front wheel drive it can cope with a fair bit of mud and wet grass inclines. This is the van fitted with them after a trip from Newbury to Manchester a few years back when there was snow covering most of the motorways until past Birmingham. During that week it was easily making its way across the back roads round our way with a foot of snow on them...

van.jpeg

I haven't done this on the Vivaro yet as I'm not sure I need that capability in both of them and it does make the driving feel a little slower/heavier. Having said that the VW has been across Europe down to the south of France twice with that tyre set on it and it was absolutely fine. It just doesn't feel quite a light as the standard wheels and tyres.
I would assume some winter tyres may have the same sort of effect - but maybe not for driving up Barry Knows Best
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

The least aggressive all terrain tyres seem to be Yokohama Geolander. I had BFG's on the Crafter which despite their looks weren't noisy and didn't seem to damage fuel consumption too much.

Don't forget to check the load rating if you decide to change tyres.
dern

Post by dern »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:51 am
dern wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:14 am If you're ever planning on going up crappy lanes and across muddy fields for the cycling events then a big improvement you can make to your chances of not needing recovery are to fit some off-road oriented tyres.

van.jpeg

I would assume some winter tyres may have the same sort of effect - but maybe not for driving up Barry Knows Best
I've had winter wheels on a bmw and they were superb but I don't think that they'd do mud like these. Also the GG AT3 are winter rated too with the alpine and m+s ratings for europe.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mud and snow seem similar but need very different tyre features, rain tyres with sipes work very well with snow but do little for mud.
The Grabber AT tyres I had were good with snow, good with rough ground but clogged up too easily for proper muddy conditions.
Horse

Post by Horse »

demographic wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:59 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:34 pm
Pirahna wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 5:32 pm Don't forget the sticker saying no tools left in this van overnight.
Any real point/deterrent ?
Don't, it more or less says that theres tools kept in the van overnight cos damn nearly every one I see with the sticker has gear in on a night.
And as mentioned, try to avoid stickers that show your hobbies.
Get several stickers, for really expensive brands.

Then, when at the hotel, put them on other vans ;) Yours will be left until last :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: