Monster rustoration

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
rodbargee

Re: Monster rustoration

Post by rodbargee »

Looking for a stainless downpipe set and collector 06 ZZR1400 If anyones got some....
crust

Post by crust »

A mixed couple of days on the Monster.
Some good progress on the exhaust flanges, started out rusty and caked in oil. After a quick scrub with a wire brush and some brake cleaner.

Then into a Deox mix and left to bubble.

After a few hours and the occasional scrub with a wire brush, that’s better.

A couple of coats for VHT silver, looking good.

crust

Post by crust »

Swinging arm in, oh, whats that on the floor – that’ll be one of the shims that go between the arm and the frame, so out, then back in again. Linkage in and out a couple of times as I worked out which order to assemble things in.

Next, the exhaust, complete with new shiny stainless clamp and nuts.

crust

Post by crust »

Now for the not so good bits. :(
Gave the rear wheel a wipe down with brake cleaner to get rid of the last of the grease residue, clean off the glue residue from balance weights, quick spray with some pledge.
Something didn’t look right about the rear disk, ok it needed a good clean and repainting but it didn’t look right. A quick check with a steel rule and oh. :( Took it off and yup, it’s well dished. That'll be my exhuberant right foot.

Time for a new disk.

And some shiny Ti disk bolts :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

crust wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:47 pm Swinging arm in, oh, whats that on the floor – that’ll be one of the shims that go between the arm and the frame, so out, then back in again.
I think I'm at my most paranoid when a job goes really smoothly,because sure as shit I've bits left over! :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
crust

Post by crust »

Skub wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:39 pm
crust wrote: Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:47 pm Swinging arm in, oh, whats that on the floor – that’ll be one of the shims that go between the arm and the frame, so out, then back in again.
I think I'm at my most paranoid when a job goes really smoothly,because sure as shit I've bits left over! :lol:
Ha ha, I've been putting all the bits in a tin foil pie dish, picking some bolts out Sunday I noticed a couple of steel tubular spacers like the ones you see in engine cases. I knew I'd not taken any of the cases off and couldn't remember where these had come from, racked my brain for a while then spent some time looking at the parts fiches for the bits I'd taken off.
Ah ha, there they were, they go inside the rose joints of the suspension hoop. Yay, worry over.

Familiarity has bred a bit of contempt here, normally I'd bag bits by assembly, however as I've had this bike apart a number of times over the years I didn't bother - hence the taking arm in out and a few times, and the linkage, and the exhaust :(
crust

Post by crust »

While waiting for the new disk I looked at the silencers, yup, they didn’t look good against the headers :(

So back out with the polishing gear. Halfway there.

Sorted.

That’s better.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

And somehow you thought putting nice exhausts onto a bloody paving flag was the right thing to do
crust

Post by crust »

Avoided the temptations of jaggedy death star Chinese disks on ebay and went for a straight replacement disk from the nice people at Bike Torque racing.

Couldn’t resist the temptations of shiny loveliness from Race Ti though. Well, shiny new disk, be wrong to put the rusty originals back in.

Sorted :)

crust

Post by crust »

When I took the rear caliper bolts out one of the helicoils came out with it, examining the bolt hole in the rear brake bracket, not good :(
Timesert or ebay bracket? £25 for bracket from ebay, result. Arrived quickly, bolt hole threads – all good. New pads in and bolted up, yup, happy with that.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

You should be very happy, you've done a great job here !
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Top work there matey :thumbup: