In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Screwdriver

Re: In todays news...

Post by Screwdriver »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:50 pm All they do is post articles from other websites... In this case the article originated here:

https://www.netzerowatch.com/21st-centu ... tists-say/

I dismiss all the crap that's based on projections, computer modelling & wild ass guesses because they're just assumptions. When you ask for actual evidence to back up the wild ass guesses etc they tend to be a bit lacking in proof... We have this thing called "the scientific method", when you apply it to the wild ass guesses etc the modelling & projections readily fall apart. If we're expected to follow the scientific method for everything else, why the fuck does this subject get a free pass?
What you say is not true.That is not "all they do". Look at the Headline: "warming trend change may not be due to greenhouse gasses, leading climate scientists say". Leading scientists do not say that. They do not even say that in the references the site links to. They use selective quotes from the published papers to make it appear as if someone has said something they really have not. We know a song about that...

A for your "not believing" rant, you really need to nail down exactly what it is you don't believe. The entire scientific establishment??

What do you believe? People who say the things you want to hear?
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I'm hardly describe ignoring something as "a rant"

I have a hard time giving credibility to people who are paid stupid money to publish wild ass guesses that support a political scheme to extract money & piss it all away in the name of "doing something"... Especially since it is now little more than a religion.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

One of the issues here is that the politicians have spouted "Data shows.. blah blah blah.." which is repeated by the media... Then you look at the data (NOAA, NASA etc) they claimed said *whatever* either never said anything of the sort, or actually said the exact opposite. And it's happened so often as to make any claims by Biden, Johnm Kerry or Newsom etc totalling lacking any credibility.
Right now we have Biden stating that leaving US oil in the ground will cut world pollution... but getting it from Venezuela instead apparently doesn't cause any pollution at all.
Screwdriver

Post by Screwdriver »

Yes. That I think we can all agree.

When you said "they" you didn't specify who "they" were. Journalists, politicians and the mainstream media will misrepresent the actual science and twist words until it suits their agenda. Always have, always will.

Problem is in this modern era of mass communication, todays "news" can be shouted from every rooftop. Later when the truth emerges, it's too late, the damage is done.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

*They* would be Biden, Kerry & Newsom. There's also a few others, but they are the main offenders.

Right now we have Newsom celebrating the impending removal of four dams in the Klamath Basin, which not only store water, but also have hydro-electric plants... So in a State that can't keep the lights on & doesn't have enough water, we're going to destroy the dams to "restore the natural river for Salmon"..
Except it won't, because there's 20,000,000 cubic yards of silt behind the dams that will kill everything in the river when it gets flushed out. Destroying the dams is also a clear violation of the Bald & Golden Eagle protection act.. but they aren't fish, so fuck em.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:21 pm *They* would be Biden, Kerry & Newsom. There's also a few others, but they are the main offenders.

Right now we have Newsom celebrating the impending removal of four dams in the Klamath Basin, which not only store water, but also have hydro-electric plants... So in a State that can't keep the lights on & doesn't have enough water, we're going to destroy the dams to "restore the natural river for Salmon"..
Except it won't, because there's 20,000,000 cubic yards of silt behind the dams that will kill everything in the river when it gets flushed out. Destroying the dams is also a clear violation of the Bald & Golden Eagle protection act.. but they aren't fish, so fuck em.
So, you are there on the ground as it were. Who is responsible for the complete buggeration of the Salton Sea? Can't be Newsom, he's not been around long enough. Biden? Probably not.

Industrial scale 'farmers' perhaps? It can't all have gone wrong since Arnie was in charge surely.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:38 pm So, you are there on the ground as it were. Who is responsible for the complete buggeration of the Salton Sea? Can't be Newsom, he's not been around long enough. Biden? Probably not.

Industrial scale 'farmers' perhaps? It can't all have gone wrong since Arnie was in charge surely.
The current scale of buggeration is going to pale into insignificance as Newsolini intends to use the area for lithium extraction.
It was a dry lake until water broke through & flooded the area. It was two years before they fixed the leak. The only water it gets (in recent years) are over flows from the farmers on the area, if it wasn't for them it would have resorted to being a dry lake decades ago. Now the farmers are better at managing their water & are being blamed for it drying up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:51 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:38 pm So, you are there on the ground as it were. Who is responsible for the complete buggeration of the Salton Sea? Can't be Newsom, he's not been around long enough. Biden? Probably not.

The current scale of buggeration is going to pale into insignificance as Newsolini intends to use the area for lithium extraction.
It was a dry lake until water broke through & flooded the area. It was two years before they fixed the leak. The only water it gets (in recent years) are over flows from the farmers on the area, if it wasn't for them it would have resorted to being a dry lake decades ago. Now the farmers are better at managing their water & are being blamed for it drying up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salton_Sea
Might as well let it dry and take the lithium and all the nitrates and start again then. It seems like a long time, ongoing American story.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Except that lithium extraction takes huge volumes of water.. & the only place to get that, is from the farmers.

In other news...
The farmers have had their 2023 allocation cut to 5%... but they still have to pay for the 95% they won't be getting.

The *water year* runs from Oct 1st to Sept 30th. This year is off to a good start with almost 200% of the average snow pack, the past two years at this time were around 20%... So you can see we won't be getting any extra wa... oh wait..
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I see Clarkson has stepped in it again, in truly spectacular fashion this time. He's turning into a miserable fucker like Cleese.
dern

Post by dern »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:57 pm I see Clarkson has stepped in it again, in truly spectacular fashion this time. He's turning into a miserable fucker like Cleese.
He did that years ago. He's rapidly graduating in to a nauseating vile right wing cunt.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

dern wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:19 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 6:57 pm I see Clarkson has stepped in it again, in truly spectacular fashion this time. He's turning into a miserable fucker like Cleese.
He did that years ago. He's rapidly graduating in to a nauseating vile right wing cunt.
Every time I see left wing this or right wing that, I think the author is a twat.

I have no idea what either means but idiots get pent up about it.
dern

Post by dern »

Yorick wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:50 pm
Every time I see left wing this or right wing that, I think the author is a twat.

You don't know what right wing and left wing means?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

dern wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:00 pm

No. And I don't want to know.

Politics don't have a place in my life.
dern

Post by dern »

Yorick wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm

And you think I'm a twat? M'kay.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

For me, it's a surprising target for his pathetic opinion column innit? Really playing to the dumb masses.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:48 pm For me, it's a surprising target for his pathetic opinion column innit? Really playing to the dumb masses.
At least he appears to realize how badly he fucked up this time. His daughter needs to proof read everything he publishes/tweets etc
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:01 pm

I can fully understand you wanting to block out all the white noise that emanates from all sides of the political spectrum, but unfortunately politics affects all of us in every aspect of our life. So while you may not want it to have a place in your life, I'm afraid it does...

Sorry...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

ZRX61 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 9:02 pm
At least he appears to realize how badly he fucked up this time. His daughter needs to proof read everything he publishes/tweets etc
I've even seen Game of Thrones and I didn't realise his naked-parading-shit-throwing wet dream was supposed to refer back to it. And in any case, fantasy medieval humiliation is hardly an appropriate response to someone you don't think much of.

I saw a bit of the offending documentary. There seem to be two quite distinct messages to it. #1 is a pretty graphic horror show explanation of what it's like to be hounded by the gutter press for years, which we should all be ashamed of given what happened to lady Di #2 is just a sickly sweet advert for the Harry and Megan team, whatever that's meant to be.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry fucking hates the tabloid media, I don't think there's any doubt about that! I can't really say I blame him - first off there's what happened to his Mum when he was a child, then there was the fact he had to stop doing the job he actually wanted to do (active duty in the Army) 'cause a tabloid broke the gentleman's agreement to not report on him being there.

I very much doubt he's gonna receive any different treatment from them by suing them a lot and making documentaries about them though.