What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:19 pm There's one in Southampton!

Oh. :(
Really? They need to crack on updating their data!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

In Marks and Suspenders earlier. Standing in the checkout queue and the lady ahead paid for her items using cash,then the operator gave her £5 change in £1 coins. "I don't want coins",said the lady. "I want a £5 note".

Checkout chick said,"I don't have a £5 note".

Cue much calling for manager and discovering none of the other checkouts had a lady Godiva either.

Queue builds up with increased shuffling of feet and muttered 'for fuck sakes'.

Lady taps foot,remains resolute and demands her five spot in paper form.

Mrs.Skub says to the checkout operator,"take my five pound note,give me the coins,then point the paper one at the lady".

Checkout girl looks confused. "I don't think I can do that",she says. :wtf:

It took some considerable discussion and with the approval of the manager,before she was convinced her till balance wouldn't be borked.

I found the whole episode quite bizarre,then again I'm easily entertained at times.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Potter

Post by Potter »

Not today, but after seeing Skubs post it reminded me when I managed to completely confuse a checkout lad by offering him £20.10 for something that cost £19.10.

I handed the £20 over and then said "Oh and here is the 10p", he looked very uncomfortable and asked what the 10p was for, so I tried to explain that he could give me a quid change instead of loads of coins. He obviously couldn't do the maths and ended up mocking me with some sort of comment about fiddling the till and said "We don't do that here", then he checked my £20 note to death in case it was a dodgy note.

I don't know what he thought was going on but he made the whole episode seem like he'd caught me out doing something very dodgy.
David

Post by David »

Back in the day, at 16, I worked in a department store in Brum (Grey's).
We had to know how much things would total as we entered them in the till and the change required.

Last year I worked the tills in a country store in Aberystwyth....no-one could do that and I confess in the end I started trusting the 'puter.
But yes, I have had similar experiences to Potter's....youffs just can't maths.
#
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I long for the days in the pub when you'd order a few drinks and packet of nuts (mainly to see if you could cop a glimpse the KP lady's boobies on the card mount) and the publican would mutter something like, 'One pahnd twenty, one pahnd twenty and a one forty, threes a twenty and 70p...four fifty, four eighty...call it a fiver mate'.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

gremlin wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:17 am I long for the days in the pub when you'd order a few drinks and packet of nuts (mainly to see if you could cop a glimpse the KP lady's boobies on the card mount) and the publican would mutter something like, 'One pahnd twenty, one pahnd twenty and a one forty, threes a twenty and 70p...four fifty, four eighty...call it a fiver mate'.
I got taught add up rounds the old fashioned way! I really struggle to work a bar without adding up!! Have to trust the till - hate that!! :lol:

Back then a decent barman/barmaid could have a conversation (or two) and pour drinks whilst adding up :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

The pub i worked at as a yoof did (and stlll does if I'm not mistaken) use a vintage £sd tally machine, with a great big crank handle, as a 'till'. Of course we didn't bother to use it to tally eff all (just to log the final amount as it was a shitty old thing and nobody ever replaced the ribbon), we could do it in our heads, the landlord exclusively employed graduates and we could all do simple 'rithmetic FFS.
Occasionally a plank would query both the total and the fact that that we were able to achieve such miracles of mental maths, and it was amusing when we proved it in long hand
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

When I worked in a garage we used to train the till tarts. I'd say to them if it comes to say £4.32 and they give you a £5 and you cant work out how much change, count it up to the note given. So £5 in the till then count up 1Ps £4.33.34.35 and 5p to 40, 10p to 50 and then a 50p makes a fiver. Loads of them would just glaze over. It was bad enough they couldn't work it out in their heads but the amount that couldn't even count was staggering.
cheb

Post by cheb »

A sharpish trip the dump to get of a freezer that had stopped working. It was empty, apart from the semi decomposed ferret skin, hence the trip.

And while I was there the van decided it won't run properly, no engine management light, but no power either.

Could be worse, could be raining.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've been weighing things :)

Got the suspension dude coming this week to set the static and rider sag on the GasGas.

Last time on the Husky he did it with me in shirt and shorts.
So wondered how much extra all the protective gear would weight.

Well, it all weighs 9 Kgs.

Bike weighs 104 Kgs
I weigh 94 Kgs

Kit weighs 9 Kgs
Full tank weighs about 10 Kgs

That's a lot of extra weight to be ignored maybe?

But I always lose about 6 Kgs in January so will balance out.

The rear isn't the problem though. It's more me being curious as it's fantastic and grip.

The front felt a bit iffy when you first 'hit' an obstacle. My pal says his is like a magic carpet. But that's coz he stands up.
But Saturday was his first ride on it and pronounced it best Bike he's ever had. After 3 KTMS

I put a cable tie on fork leg and it went to the full extension.
Probably need a new spring. If I can just cure this small problem it will be awesome .

Saturday I did lots of trials type sections and it just kept going :)
20221212_135035.jpg
20221212_135035.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 416 times
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

My smart arse mate just told me that there are little red rings on each fork leg to do what I fitted the zip tie to do
Can see one on the photo.

Well I never :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 1:22 pm the till tarts
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Woke up with Man-Flu. :sick:

The next 24 hours are critical....
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

We had a morning up in Ambleside, which was quite nice without the crowds, parking was easy, breakfast was nice, the shops were empty, etc.
Probably not good for business, but good for us.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Potter wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:52 pm We had a morning up in Ambleside, which was quite nice without the crowds, parking was easy, breakfast was nice, the shops were empty, etc.
Probably not good for business, but good for us.
We went in to Worcester at the weekend, busier than usual what with it being 'the holidays' but parking was no bother* and the shops were nowhere near the scrum I was expecting.

*Aside from the implied threatening demeanour I had to deploy towards a young 20 odd year old and her uppity mother.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

My lad has called me telling me he wants to take time out of uni and resit his 3rd year - reading between the lines he's been on the piss too much and realised his grades have suffered! Twat....
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just put up the deccies and tree.
Always feels strange when it's so warm, but I love Xmas so needs doing :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Damn I feel as if I'm working almost as hard as when I worked for myself!!! LOL At least now I'm getting paid by the hour! :bblonde:

Agreed to do a transfer early this morning, so, up at 4am, noticed there'd been a 'smidge' of snow!! No worries, no rush, plane due at 7.15, I'm due there at 7.30 - achievable even with snow, but it doesn't look that much.

Oops - downstairs to get the van key from the office - only three inches of snow! No worries. I'm a winter transfer driver :D :D

No worries indeed, except that it had snowed (was snowing) all the way to Geneva and sooooooo many people drove at 30kph! LOL I get that it's scary, so not knocking them, but it took me 3.5 hours to get to GVA - I'd sent a message to the guests warning them I'd been late. But, turned out their phone didn't work in Switzerland :roll:

Found them, had long enough to buy a huge coffee, headed back!! LOL Dropped them off and came back - 7.5 hour round trip.

Oh, and there'd been more snow whilst I was out - I reckon it was about 6-8 inches in total (cos I had to clear a path to the office!! Only a couple of inches when I got the key this morning - loads more by the time I got back :D :D

Then, because my colleague is at college on Tuesdays and my boss was out driving, I had a bit of a break for more coffee and then went to the office. The more mails i could deal with today, the less I have to deal with tomorrow!! LOL

Now crashed out waiting for some soda bread to finish cooking so I can have some with my dinner :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just a little bit of snow this morning -

Freaking loads when I got back!! Avalanche cannons were going off most of the afternoon - love that sound!!

Googlemaps is evil!! 4 times it tried to get me to go a 'faster' way!! I'm sure it should know that that particular 'faster' way crosses a piste - not a possibility in a works minibus in winter :lol: :lol: :lol:

Skub

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:52 pm
so, up at 4am.....
You lost me at that point. :shock:

I don't actually believe the world exists until after 9am.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Skub wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 5:04 pm
Noggin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 4:52 pm
so, up at 4am.....
You lost me at that point. :shock:

I don't actually believe the world exists until after 9am.
I know - it took me a few years to get the hang of it!! LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:

Look to the end of the post - snow pictures :D :D