Carpal tunnel surgery questions...

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Carpal tunnel surgery questions...

Post by ZRX61 »

Who's had carpal tunnel surgery & how long before you could ride again? Bone Mechanic is telling me two weeks.. B-i-L said a year...
Right wrist.

Surgeon is also cutting a couple of nerves on the back of my hand, so will be opened up on both sides of my hand/wrist.
DefTrap

Re: Carpal tunnel surgery questions...

Post by DefTrap »

I think Jody did recently
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

ZRX61 wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:13 pm Who's had carpal tunnel surgery & how long before you could ride again? Bone Mechanic is telling me two weeks.. B-i-L said a year...
Right wrist.

Surgeon is also cutting a couple of nerves on the back of my hand, so will be opened up on both sides of my hand/wrist.
I had it, around 17-18 years ago, right hand only. I'm fairly sure I was back on a bike within a month, maybe slightly longer. It's a really easy recovery.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Had both done, separately, about 15 years ago.

I was bandaged to a 'slab' of plaster (rather than a full cast) for six weeks.

Not long after, a mate had one done (different surgeon and hospital), just had it bandaged.

Two weeks might be optimistic. Perhaps for having stitches out? But considering that they chop a slit in gristle so there's more room for the nerve, that might take a while to regrow and heal to good strength.

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Oul boys heal slower. ;)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

You won’t be riding in 2 weeks.
I’ve had both done.
mel

Post by mel »

Had both done at same time , a few years ago, as I could not pull the clutch or brake for more than a couple of laps when racing ,I was riding in Spain 3 weeks later with no problems after opp on both at same time,
Bit clumsy for 48hrs but managed to look after myself fine

As a ps , I had no nerve damage - and people recover at different rates, however my surgeon and me had agreed this date to enable me to not distrupt the season ( it was the the longest I could be off a bike to avoid any cancelling of meetings)

As a double ps , once you have it done ( again don’t know about your nerve issue) so this is only relating to carpel , once there cut there cut and you can’t damage them by using them to early, what you would find if you go ott on something it will be very noticeable via a severe shooting pain through wrist, I did it with a lump hammer hitting an edge of concrete about 10 days after opp, hurt like ( f) for 5 secs , but as I have said you can’t damage anything as it’s been cut, so technically does not exist anymore.

Treble ps as it’s likely you will have local anaesthetic, you can actually feel the twang ( not through pain) but you can just feel it snap, like a guitar string :D
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

I told the cutter that I have planned rides on the 3rd Sunday of the month so wanted to schedule it right after that so I have almost a month to get back on a bike.
Not sure about this local anesthetic malarky.
I already get a severe shooting pain through the hand/wrist when I bump the wrong spot. Feels like I hit it was a hammer... which is odd, as I can pound the snot out of something with an actual hammer & it doesn't cause any issues.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Skub wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:29 pm Oul boys heal slower. ;)
Bugger off, lol
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Dec 10, 2022 12:13 am I already get a severe shooting pain through the hand/wrist when I bump the wrong spot. Feels like I hit it was a hammer...
Tapping two fingers on your wrist, over the CT, is a simple test for CTS. For me, it was like an electric shock into the fingers.

One other point: highly likely that you may need the other wrist done too.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

One thing I've learnt over the years is that any surgeon you speak to underplays the recovery time, probably so as not to put you off having it. Had that with both knees (general clear out due to being an ol fecker) and both hands (too many years using keyboards badly).

Was also the case with my vasectomy, but that may have been the ham-fisted surgeon and lack of anesthetic, but I won't put you off your lunch with that story.... :o
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
David

Post by David »

Maggie Thatcher had it done and rode rough shod over the cabinet two days later.....
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:05 am One thing I've learnt over the years is that any surgeon you speak to underplays the recovery time, ...

Was also the case with my vasectomy, but that may have been the ham-fisted surgeon and lack of anesthetic, but I won't put you off your lunch with that story.... :o
About 30 years ago I had an op. "Two weeks" the surgeon said.

Two weeks later, in agony after riding a bike all day. [OK it was an op to the gentleman's region. I can genuinely claim to be one of thd few chaps who can honestly say that they have had the size of their equipment reduced]

However, re what they tell you. After my neck op, I was told '6 weeks off' and 3 months in the collar. Actually, best part of 18-24 months to get back towards full recovery.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 6:37 pm I think Jody did recently
Operation April 11th
First ride on my bike was May 8th. I covered 80 miles and my wrist/hand was a bit achey when I got home.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Thinking it will be easier to get back on the ZRX11 than the ZX11 owing to the higher bars on the ZRX. I guess I could pootle around the block to test that theory...
...which reminds me, I need to change the angle of the front brake lever on the ZX11. It's at just the right angle that causes one to open the throttle a bit when reaching for the brake lever, so the bike accelerates a bit at first when I want to be slowing up. Nothing quite like blasting up to a corner & then going faster at the braking point. & if there's one thing the ZX11 does quite well, it's turning momentary inattention into a stark terror... or at least creasing the seat when it puckers my grommet.