Palace racism row

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Horse

Re: Palace racism row

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:37 am
Horse wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:38 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:56 pm I wonder what the correct answer today is to the question "What was Guy Gibson*'s dog is called?

* Boss of 617 Squadron
I know what that dog was named when it was alive 80 or so years ago.

I wonder whether you would consider that a good name now for a dog?
I believe it is short for Negro. That, and Caucasian, Asiatic, etc are AFAIK still valid broad brush descriptors of human characteristics. I would not be offended at being described as Caucasian.
So, name for a dog, is that a yes or no?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I don't think that Caucasian have been used in a systematic dehumanising way so it's not directly comparable.

This is one of those stories that pleases everyone. Those who want to feel offended can do so, likewise those who want to feel put out. Meanwhile us right thinking people just glance at it and move on.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

When I was working in rescue in the UK we took in a Staffie called n**** which had been owned by Eastern Europeans (no idea which country). Obviously, shock,horror, how could anyone name a dog n****? Roll on a few years and I'm talking to a Bulgarian friend who used the term to describe black people. She always insisted that I should correct any bad use of her English as she was keen to improve, so obviously I told her that was not acceptable language, but she explained that in Bulgarian it is just another way of saying negro and no offence is meant (she is very much anti-racist). I did a Google translate and sure enough, both words have the same Bulgarian translation.
I guess they've been pretty much insulated from the Western guilt over slavery. And yes, she does use the term 'negro' now when speaking in English. :D
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Actually_from.JPG
Actually_from.JPG (119.86 KiB) Viewed 617 times

:D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Horse wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:38 am
Cousin Jack wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:56 pm I wonder what the correct answer today is to the question "What was Guy Gibson*'s dog is called?

* Boss of 617 Squadron
I know what that dog was named when it was alive 80 or so years ago.

I wonder whether you would consider that a good name now for a dog?
Years ago at Halloween, I adopted a wee black cat that I called Spooky. For some reason she had it shortened to Spook. Someone heard me calling her in one night and informed me I was racist for calling a black cat Spook.

I had a dog called Bismarck for years, he was named after the battleship.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

My dad had a dog called 'Nip'. I think its full name was 'Nipper'. It would probably have got him in what his next dog was called.....'Trouble'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

IMG-20221202-WA0037.jpg
IMG-20221202-WA0037.jpg (95.31 KiB) Viewed 561 times
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mussels wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:37 am It seems the black lady gave herself a made up African name taking parts from different groups, if the octogenarian was familiar with African names this could have be the cause of great confusion.
If I met someone called Adolf Goldstein and dressed as a Cossack then I'd wonder how all that goes together.
This story came up on the news here last night & they basically accused the woman of cultural appropriation by claiming to be a Londoner while dressed as an African. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:15 pm My dad had a dog called 'Nip'. I think its full name was 'Nipper'. It would probably have got him in what his next dog was called.....'Trouble'.
When I was a kid one of my favourite books was Nipper, the little Bull pup. I've likely still got it on a shelf somewhere.

I reckon that has fuckall to to with the fact that bystanders described the conversation with the elderly royal handmajd/whatever as being more of an interrogation.

Possibly quite telling that she got dropped like a hot spud so perhaps she's got form?

Anyway, I doubt I'll lose sleep tonight over it so err... meh?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:55 pm
Mussels wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:37 am It seems the black lady gave herself a made up African name taking parts from different groups, if the octogenarian was familiar with African names this could have be the cause of great confusion.
If I met someone called Adolf Goldstein and dressed as a Cossack then I'd wonder how all that goes together.
This story came up on the news here last night & they basically accused the woman of cultural appropriation by claiming to be a Londoner while dressed as an African. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'd opine that trying to extract any kind of sense from an American news channel on the British Royal family is an exercise in futility.
demographic

Post by demographic »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:35 pm I'd opine that trying to extract any kind of sense from an American news channel is an exercise in futility.
Based on the ones I see on Youtube I shortened your comment without decreasing it's veracity.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

That is, of course, what I meant to say all along... :D
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

F1164AD0-7031-4347-8120-7ED13D3D768D.jpeg
F1164AD0-7031-4347-8120-7ED13D3D768D.jpeg (91.33 KiB) Viewed 504 times
Potter

Post by Potter »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:55 pm
Fair play, if I turned up to a royal event in Lederhosen and claimed to be proper cockney then some people might ask where I was really from.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Although not about this exact story, it does explain a few of these outrage stories that crop up on here with alarming regularity.
Some of its even mildly funny so er yay.

Horse

Post by Horse »

Apparently ...

This week isn’t the first time Lady Susan Hussey’s small talk hasn’t been up to scratch, says Patrick Kidd in The Times. In the early 1990s, Buckingham Palace was asked to host a last-minute reception for a US delegation. “Members of the royal household were scrambled to fill the room” and Lady Susan found herself chatting to a charming visitor. “What do you do for a living?” she asked. “I’m president of the United States of America,” said a slightly surprised George HW Bush.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Ant

Post by Ant »

[/media]
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Perhaps she recorded it to cause trouble later?

What did Lady Susan Hussey say?

Lady Susan met Ngozi Fulani, chief executive of Sistah Space, at a royal reception on Tuesday, and the domestic abuse charity boss later shared on social media a rundown of their conversation, which took place at a major gathering hosted by the Queen Consort to highlight violence against women and girls.

The full exchange of the conversation is:

Lady SH: “Where are you from?”

Ms Fulani: “Sistah Space.”

SH: “No where do you come from?

Ms Fulani: “We’re based in Hackney.”

SH: “No, what part of Africa are YOU from?”

Ms Fulani: “I don’t know, they didn’t leave any records.”

SH: “Well, you must know where you’re from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?”

Ms Fulani: “Here, UK”

SH: “No, but what Nationality are you?”

Ms Fulani: “I am born here and am British.”

SH: “No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?”

Ms Fulani: “‘My people’, lady, what is this?”

SH: “Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you’re from. When did you first come here?”

Ms Fulani: “Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50’s when…”

SH: “Oh, I knew we’d get there in the end, you’re Caribbean!”

Ms Fulani: “No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.”

SH: “Oh so you’re from….”

AND

She went on to say: “I was stood next to two other women – black women – and she (Lady Susan) just made a beeline for me, and she took my locks and moved it out of the way so that she could see my name badge.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Bigjawa wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:45 pm I had a dog called Bismarck for years, he was named after the battleship.
Fascist!

Godwin’s declared!
Felix

Post by Felix »

My dog is named after a dodgy TV Box.