In todays news...

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: In todays news...

Post by irie »

gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:28 pm Better hope this doesn't catch on. Who knows what our long-dead family members got up 400 years back!

Richard Drax: Jamaica eyes slavery reparations from Tory MP

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63799222

Mind you, I think I'm safe as my family have barely got a pot to piss in, let alone an estate in Barbados.
Everyone's been a victim of something either now or in their familial past, the question is whether or not it can be monetised. :roll:
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
irie

Post by irie »

Fundamental misunderstanding of casualty figures being presented as deaths. Unbelievable! :wtf:
Attachments
20221130_210017.jpg
20221130_210017.jpg (288.22 KiB) Viewed 447 times
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

gremlin wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:28 pm Better hope this doesn't catch on. Who knows what our long-dead family members got up 400 years back!

Richard Drax: Jamaica eyes slavery reparations from Tory MP

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-63799222

Mind you, I think I'm safe as my family have barely got a pot to piss in, let alone an estate in Barbados.
I dunno, I do kinda see where they're coming from.

I don't think people should be directly punished for the actions of their ancestors per se, but at the same time he's only got this massive gaff in Barbados off the back of slave labour. I imagine if I were to forcibly remove a load of people from their homes and then make 'em work 7 days a week for no pay I could build up a decent nest egg to leave my children too.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:08 pm

I don't think people should be directly punished for the actions of their ancestors per se, but at the same time he's only got this massive gaff in Barbados off the back of slave labour. I imagine if I were to forcibly remove a load of people from their homes and then make 'em work 7 days a week for no pay I could build up a decent nest egg to leave my children too.
I think in principle it should be given back, but if it were me I'd offer to give it back ten minutes after the government give Northern Ireland back to the Irish and Gibraltar back to Spain... et al.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:43 pm

I think in principle it should be given back, but if it were me I'd offer to give it back ten minutes after the government give Northern Ireland back to the Irish and Gibraltar back to Spain... et al.
And Las Malvinas back to the Argies...? :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:43 pm

And the Spanish enclaves of Ceuta and Melilla in North Africa.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub

Post by Skub »

Yorick wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 pm Only in America :D

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63825860
Some folk must really struggle to fill their day. :wtf:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
cheb

Post by cheb »

Love it. Some years back there was a schoolboy who took Tetley to task as their teabags didn't have 1000 perforations as they stated.
Ant

Post by Ant »

Seems she was really cheesed off....
Potter

Post by Potter »

I think it's a good thing, way too many people make claims they can't back up.
In business it's ridiculous, companies will claim any old rubbish just to win contracts, if you're honest then you end up losing out in some cases because the clients procurement have no idea about the thing they're buying, they just see the numbers, so if someone else offers them rainbows and unicorns for a lower price then they'll grab it and sit there proud because they think they've done a great job.

So if Tetley say 1000 perforations then they should be held to it, or don't say it.
irie

Post by irie »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:18 am I think it's a good thing, way too many people make claims they can't back up.
In business it's ridiculous, companies will claim any old rubbish just to win contracts, if you're honest then you end up losing out in some cases because the clients procurement have no idea about the thing they're buying, they just see the numbers, so if someone else offers them rainbows and unicorns for a lower price then they'll grab it and sit there proud because they think they've done a great job.

So if Tetley say 1000 perforations then they should be held to it, or don't say it.
If I were Tetley marketing I would argue that, just like homeopathy, one perforation is divisible into an infinite number of smaller ones. Then I'd get fired. ;)
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:18 am I think it's a good thing, way too many people make claims they can't back up.

A good few years ago all the colour ads for TV sets in glossy magazines had a note beside the picture say "simulated picture". That was because a colleague of mine took his TV back complaining that picture wasnt as good as the one in the ad. It went all the way to court and he won.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Maybe it was a rounding error?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Yorick wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 9:05 am
Potter wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:18 am So if Tetley say 1000 perforations then they should be held to it, or don't say it.
Just a storm in a tea cup
irie

Post by irie »

Or binary.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I'd be more inclined to think that the tea bag material probably had 1000 perforations par square foot (or some other measurement). The marketing boys didn't know how to work that into a TV advert so left themselves open to being found out.

Fair play to the youngster though, he's probably working at CERN now, counting collisions.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Can't say I'd buy teabags based on the number of perforations anyway.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Yambo wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:08 am The marketing boys didn't know
Not the only one ...
2011-05-30_14-06-22_469.jpg
2011-05-30_14-06-22_469.jpg (143.38 KiB) Viewed 231 times
Yambo wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:08 am Fair play to the youngster though, he's probably working at CERN now, counting collisions.
Is that like STATS19?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:10 am Can't say I'd buy teabags based on the number of perforations anyway.
Why did they say it then?

I bought it based on those chimps that were amusing in a dad joke kind of way.