Palace racism row

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Hoonercat

Re: Palace racism row

Post by Hoonercat »

Mussels wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 11:52 am The Pope was far more racist a few days ago when he said non-ethnic Russians were more savage than the ethnic ones, nobody seems to have noticed that.
It made the headlines. He appears to be correct though
The Kadyrovtsy have contributed to the killings of hundreds of civilians in Bucha, other Kyiv suburbs and occupied areas, according to survivors, police, officials and rights groups.
Human rights groups, the EU, Ukraine and the media have all said the same with no comeback, so why is it suddenly racist when the Pope says the same?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:53 pm 'fing is, when Buck House hosts a reception it's not just someone having their mates around - it's "the institutions" hosting an event. So like I said, I think a different standard should apply.

Old giffers not keeping up with the times? Yeah OK. But old giffers not keeping up with the times, then being used to represent 'stuff'....less OK IMO. Which is why giving her the boot is the right course of action IMO.
Start that sort of thing with out of touch old giffers, where does it end?

:lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Say what you like about Charlie Tres, he's usually well turned out.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Asked a mate in work. His mother is white British, his dad from Ghana. His take was that, though the question was clumsy, he would have simply replied, 'I was born in London, though my dad was from Ghana. Mum was British as roast beef'.

Fuss avoided.

That said, she's in a working, public facing role. I doubt she's just taken up casual racism as a hobby yesterday, so maybe this should have been spotted some time back and she could have been quietly put out to pasture.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 12:53 pm 'fing is, when Buck House hosts a reception it's not just someone having their mates around - it's "the institutions" hosting an event. So like I said, I think a different standard should apply.

Old giffers not keeping up with the times? Yeah OK. But old giffers not keeping up with the times, then being used to represent 'stuff'....less OK IMO. Which is why giving her the boot is the right course of action IMO.
I can't disagree - Trump and Biden prime examples of people in high position who are slightly over their best-before date.

But Lady Nobody of BumFvckNowhere isn't representing anything, she's just part of the fixtures and fittings of a Buckingham Palace event, you may as well have a go at the racist looking curtains.

Two of my colleagues were lucky enough to be invited to a Buckingham Palace event (our company won some sort of Enterprise Award) a few years back. Apparently Prince Philip was just as you expected him to be, deaf as a post, effectively shouting at people, drawn to my colleagues ample bosom like a moth to a flame. I'm sure there's some column inches in that, but instead they just enjoyed the privileged experience and were amused.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

I suppose it's to late to ask for a link now?
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

B & C for me. She wouldn't have held the position she has for as many years as she did if she didn't know how to talk to people and be socially aware. I expect she was (clumsily) trying to be too engaging!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 2:43 pm She wouldn't have held the position she has for as many years as she did if she didn't know how to talk to people and be socially aware. I expect she was (clumsily) trying to be too engaging!
Alternatively, maybe she's been talking at people and being socially unaware for many years, but nobody willing to challenge it as they are in awe of the occasion and nobody within the inner circle seeing anything amiss.
The whole Royal thing seems to exist in a artificial bubble of tradition and convention, so maybe patronising low-level racism* has simply gone under the radar.

In fairness, it's something my mum would probably have said given her track record. :oops:

*I hate myself for writing that.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My Dad got in trouble with HR a few years ago for doing "eeny meeny miny mo, catch a nigger by his toe".

He genuinely didn't get what the probem was :lol:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

LOL For those of us that on a mountain and don't watch the news, a link would have been handy!! LOL

(Off to see if google is relatively friendly today!! :lol:)
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Felix

Post by Felix »

Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:46 pm My Dad got in trouble with HR a few years ago for doing "eeny meeny miny mo, catch a nigger by his toe".

He genuinely didn't get what the probem was :lol:
A similar thing happened Mrs.Skub a good few years ago when she used the term 'nigger in the woodpile'. :shock:

People say stuff and there isn't alway malicious intent. In the example of the current story,none of us really know if it was an innocent question,or the usual folk queuing up to be offended at something.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:12 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63819482
Cheers - I'd thought it was HRHwife!

Reading what the offended woman says was the 'transcript', she really could have know what an old lady meant and answered differently to start with. But I guess she wanted to make a point. She's getting the name of the charity out there more and got herself on TV!!

The thing about the older lady touching her hair - that is an old lady thing. They don't understand modern boundaries that we now have.

Bit of a mountain of a molehill, no?
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Noggin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:22 pm
Bit of a mountain of a molehill, no?
In the grand theme of things, yes.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Noggin wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:22 pm The thing about the older lady touching her hair - that is an old lady thing. They don't understand modern boundaries that we now have.
Forget hair...IME old ladies can't resist reaching out and trying to man handle your children.

I actually had a go at some in a care home a while back, they were trying to call baby D over (2.5 at the time) by cooing at her and holding their hands out etc. She's not a fucking dog!

That's right, I had a rant at the old dears in a care home :D
JamJar

Post by JamJar »

Here is the full conversation, as recounted by Ms Fulani:

Lady SH: Where are you from?

Me: Sistah Space.

SH: No, where do you come from?

Me: We're based in Hackney.

SH: No, what part of Africa are you from?

Me: I don't know, they didn't leave any records.

SH: Well, you must know where you're from, I spent time in France. Where are you from?

Me: Here, the UK.

SH: No, but what nationality are you?

Me: I am born here and am British.

SH: No, but where do you really come from, where do your people come from?

Me: 'My people', lady, what is this?

SH: Oh I can see I am going to have a challenge getting you to say where you're from. When did you first come here?

Me: Lady! I am a British national, my parents came here in the 50s when...

SH: Oh, I knew we'd get there in the end, you're Caribbean!

Me: No lady, I am of African heritage, Caribbean descent and British nationality.

SH: Oh so you're from...
irie

Post by irie »

BBC wrote: Ngozi Fulani: Lady Susan Hussey's race comments were abuse, says charity boss
This is about Ngozi Fulani.

https://futurehackney.com/ngozi
Ngozi and Rosanna run @sistahspace in Hackney. A safe space and support network for African and Caribbean heritage women and girls who have suffered domestic or sexual abuse.
This specifically excludes those of non-African or non-Caribbean heritage.

Just imagine the cries of racism if a white person set up "A safe space and support network for non-African and non-Caribbean heritage women and girls who have suffered domestic or sexual abuse."

Ngozi Fulani is a racist.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:42 pm
BBC wrote: Ngozi Fulani: Lady Susan Hussey's race comments were abuse, says charity boss

Ngozi and Rosanna run @sistahspace in Hackney. A safe space and support network for African and Caribbean heritage women and girls who have suffered domestic or sexual abuse.

Just imagine the cries of racism if a white person set up "A safe space and support network for non-African and non-Caribbean heritage women and girls who have suffered domestic or sexual abuse."

That's a bit like saying the Mission to Seafarers charity is racist because it doesn't cater for RAF veterans. :roll:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:48 pm
irie wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:42 pm

That's a bit like saying the Mission to Seafarers charity is racist because it doesn't cater for RAF veterans. :roll:
No, it's based on skin colour.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Palace lady was a tad naive / slow/ dotty
Charity bird was after 15 mins of fame - she got it out the the press quick enough. And to everywhere ...
She was after a story