What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Taipan

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:25 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:18 pm Did the physio, then Turkey Day pig out dinner, & binge-watching Gangs of London (with a big bowl of Tin Roof Sundae ice cream).
I always put his replies through Google translate, but nothing comes out.
Physio = enforced exercise
Turkey Day pig out = Thanksgiving dinner
Gangs of London = boxset
Tin Rood sundae = popular American ice cream.
You're welcome = Southern manners.
:thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Pirahna wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:36 pm Today I went to the Police station with a translator to get my residencia sorted. Trying to pick out words from a rapid fire conversation between her and the policeman wasn't easy, I got maybe one in every hundred. Still, I'm all sorted and now legal in Spain. Wifey and I cycled out to a restaurant for lunch afterwards wearing shorts and t-shirts.
Awesome :D :D :D

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:11 pm I can't remember how to spell it, but I can still clearly hear my year 8 French teacher saying "mille neuf cent quatre vingt seize" in my head :D
One of the villages is 1800 here. So, as Brits we call it eighteen hundred. The french call it one thousand eight hundred. Doesn't make much difference in words Dix huit cent/ Mille huit cent - it's just the mental process of changing to something that feels clunky!! LOL

And, just be glad your teacher wasn't saying 1999!! LOL

mille neuf cent quatre vingt dix neuf :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Swiss and the Belges are onto something with numbers, but the french are determined to stay with the weird ways!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Spent half an hour looking for the key to the new scoot. Politely asked my Wife if she'd moved it, as she has covid badly and doesn't even know what day it is. I knew she'd put it somewhere, but just wasn't remembering. So I continued the hunt swearing under my breath. She called out to me from her bed saying have you checked the bike, you may have left it in there when you moved it last night. FFS does she think I'm stupid enough to leave a key in the ignition with a bright orange keyring hanging off of it, all night long! :roll: :?
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:51 pm Spent half an hour looking for the key to the new scoot. Politely asked my Wife if she'd moved it, as she has covid badly and doesn't even know what day it is. I knew she'd put it somewhere, but just wasn't remembering. So I continued the hunt swearing under my breath. She called out to me from her bed saying have you checked the bike, you may have left it in there when you moved it last night. FFS does she think I'm stupid enough to leave a key in the ignition with a bright orange keyring hanging off of it, all night long! :roll: :?
So had you? :D
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Not 'had', it should be 'are'.
David

Post by David »

Oi think he are.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:33 pm
Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:51 pm Spent half an hour looking for the key to the new scoot. Politely asked my Wife if she'd moved it, as she has covid badly and doesn't even know what day it is. I knew she'd put it somewhere, but just wasn't remembering. So I continued the hunt swearing under my breath. She called out to me from her bed saying have you checked the bike, you may have left it in there when you moved it last night. FFS does she think I'm stupid enough to leave a key in the ignition with a bright orange keyring hanging off of it, all night long! :roll: :?
So had you? :D
:oops:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Taipan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:51 pm She called out to me from her bed saying have you checked the bike, you may have left it in there when you moved it last night. FFS does she think I'm stupid enough to leave a key in the ignition with a bright orange keyring hanging off of it, all night long! :roll: :?
You found it didn’t you ;)
Skub

Post by Skub »

I keep an eye out for an elderly neighbour especially since her husband died a few years ago. She's very frail now and difficult to make out as her speech is very slurred. I had a call from her this afternoon,she had fallen outside around the back of her house and was lying on the cold ground in her nighty and dressing gown. It was fortunate she had her phone with her,it was no kind of day to be lying on the ground outside in your nightclothes.

It looked like she's done a hip,that major killer of older folk.We got her wrapped up in blankets,hot water bottles and my bike jacket,then kept her amused until the ambulance arrived,which thankfully wasn't long.

The two paramedics who arrived were slightly built young girls. I can't help wondering what they'd do if they have to lift some 20 odd stone patient.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:18 pm I keep an eye out for an elderly neighbour especially since her husband died a few years ago. She's very frail now and difficult to make out as her speech is very slurred. I had a call from her this afternoon,she had fallen outside around the back of her house and was lying on the cold ground in her nighty and dressing gown. It was fortunate she had her phone with her,it was no kind of day to be lying on the ground outside in your nightclothes.

It looked like she's done a hip,that major killer of older folk.We got her wrapped up in blankets,hot water bottles and my bike jacket,then kept her amused until the ambulance arrived,which thankfully wasn't long.

The two paramedics who arrived were slightly built young girls. I can't help wondering what they'd do if they have to lift some 20 odd stone patient.
I found out recently that someone who can't lift themselves is really really heavy and hard to lift.

Sucks getting old!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Skub wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:18 pm I keep an eye out for an elderly neighbour especially since her husband died a few years ago. She's very frail now and difficult to make out as her speech is very slurred. I had a call from her this afternoon,she had fallen outside around the back of her house and was lying on the cold ground in her nighty and dressing gown. It was fortunate she had her phone with her,it was no kind of day to be lying on the ground outside in your nightclothes.

Out here they use the Coastguard for jobs like that, mostly when the stretchered patient has to be loaded into a helicopter
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:27 pm I found out recently that someone who can't lift themselves is really really heavy and hard to lift.

Sucks getting old!
Last year an old mate who'd had a stroke some years before,got up in the night for a piss and fell over in his house,then couldn't get up. He'd be in the region of 18+ stone and there was only me for the job. Fuck me that took it out of me. It's a shit sandwich because you don't want to hurt them,so trying to be considerate while lifting someone 7 odd stone heavier than me was a killer.
Walt Whitman
Potter

Post by Potter »

God bless you mate, she's lucky you're keeping an eye on her, but doesn't she have family or home help or something?
Being on my own in that frail state scares the shit out of me, if it was my old mum she'd be moved into our house.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Early to rise on a Sunday.

Going for a walk round of a field archery course that I’m doing on Monday night :o

Never done field shooting and never shot at night so double fun coming up.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Just remember not to shoot the mother and baby.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Potter wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:58 am

God bless you mate, she's lucky you're keeping an eye on her, but doesn't she have family or home help or something?
Being on my own in that frail state scares the shit out of me, if it was my old mum she'd be moved into our house.
Those are questions we have pondered about my frail father-in-law. We are in frequent contact and he has all the help he needs but for a problem like that not much beats next door neighbours.
We've offered to buy a bigger house and move him in, we've suggested he moves somewhere close to us but he won't leave his house. My wife suggested we moved closer to him but moving back to London is a step too far for me.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

weeksy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:27 pm
I found out recently that someone who can't lift themselves is really really heavy and hard to lift.

Sucks getting old!
I used to be Tower Rescue qualified for our Aerial Rigger. We did rescue practice every 3 months with an 8 stone “rescue dummy”. It was hideously heavy to manhandle and 20metres up a radio mast on your own was sometimes very trying. There was a more realistic 13st dummy but that was never used.

Even just dragging the 8st dummy into position was hard work.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Potter

Post by Potter »

I was up early and into the garage, I started to put my LC back together, it just needs the clocks assembling now after being refurbished and then the tank/seat putting back on and it should be good to go, I've got a new front disk and pads but they're not essential, I just thought it could do with them.

We're off out today but if I get back in time I might unpack and build my Abba Skylift then do the disk as well.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:21 am
weeksy wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:27 pm

Sucks getting old!
I used to be Tower Rescue qualified for our Aerial Rigger. We did rescue practice every 3 months with an 8 stone “rescue dummy”. It was hideously heavy to manhandle and 20metres up a radio mast on your own was sometimes very trying. There was a more realistic 13st dummy but that was never used.

Even just dragging the 8st dummy into position was hard work.
I remember doing similar with Boy Scouts. Not up a tower obviously, but various ways of moving people around and hauling them out of ditches on lashed together stretchers etc. It's suprising how much easier it is with someone who's even half conscious innit?

That's probably why we have the term "dead weight" after all!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mussels wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:02 am
Potter wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 6:58 am

Those are questions we have pondered about my frail father-in-law. We are in frequent contact and he has all the help he needs but for a problem like that not much beats next door neighbours.
We've offered to buy a bigger house and move him in, we've suggested he moves somewhere close to us but he won't leave his house. My wife suggested we moved closer to him but moving back to London is a step too far for me.
Yeah,that's the thing. Her family are good people,they live about 20 miles away,but despite their many offers,she is a very independent lady and doesn't want to give that up. I had the very same thing with my own dad. He and my MIL and stepmother all fell and broke a hip and not one of them ever walked again,nor lived very long after the event.

I can understand totally,wanting to be independent,but it often brings a penalty not fitting the crime. Hard times for the families involved.
Walt Whitman