Triumph Booster Plug- really?

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Mr Moofo

Triumph Booster Plug- really?

Post by Mr Moofo »

I have a Scrambler 1200 which I have just se-states to stop my leg getting cooked.
These big twins are Euro x compliant - so run lean. De-cat could make them run leaner - but I would have thought the ECM could deal with that.
There is a fashion in Triumph fanboi world to fit a fuel booster ( fools the ECM at low revs apparently.
Does anyone know if this is snake oil and a little bit Hilltop - or worthwhile ?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Triumph Booster Plug- really?

Post by weeksy »

I think Pietin got one for his and liked it.

They're quite common. In simple terms, most bikes run lean in the closed loop, lower RPM and these boosters simply give them more fuel at the closed loop which improves fuelling and performance.
ogri

Post by ogri »

Will still burn your leg on warm days.
On my old air cooled scrambler i gave up and put a cheap 'low' 2-1 on it from TEC, cured the burns and felt a bit nippier :)
Ignorance is bliss
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

It may heat up - but not as bad as with the cat. It seems to rev freer than before. I am a bit concerned about it being to lean.
Amulree

Post by Amulree »

My Triumph America (the 865 motor) has this lean mixture problem. It took me a while to figure out that from time to time the engine would cut out just after I rolled off the throttle. One can ride round it but its a bit of a pain. Step 1 was to have a full service and turn up the engine idle speed to 1100rpm. This seems to have helped and it has not cut out on me since (but I think sub consciously I may be covering for it!). Step 2 will be a booster plug (if I need it) - so I understand, it just lowers the temperature reading of the air intake which causes the ECU to enrich the mixture slightly. Clever stuff! Cheers
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I've run booster plugs on BMWs and KTMs and they do improve things. They're basically a resistor that tricks the ECU into thinking the engine is cooler than it actually is so it enrichens the fuelling mixture slightly. As most newer bikes run so lean from the factor he booster plugs do help with the slow speed/low revs running.

My KTM 690 was a bastard when filtering through traffic in 2nd gear at 20-30mph. It'd buck and snatch like a fucker, but the booster plug really helped here. BMW F800s have abit of a reputation for cutting out and run notoriously lean. When I got my F800R I didn't think it was as bad as peopel made out but then I found i had a booster plug fitted. I ended up having it remapped and it was a world apart from the booster plug, which shows how limited the booster plugs are, but for what they cost i'd not hesitate to fit one. Like any improvement, some people notice it more than others, so you may not feel any benefit as they take a good few miles to make the adaption so it's a gradual thing. Worth pointing out that with BMWs the ECU
will always adapt back to the baseline so actually cancel out the Booster Plug over time. So check on Triumph forums that Triumphs don.t do the same,
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I am guessing the answer is that once we are allowed to come out of our bunkers is to ride and see how much of a problem it is. There was just an opportunity to do it now ...
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 9:50 am I am guessing the answer is that once we are allowed to come out of our bunkers is to ride and see how much of a problem it is. There was just an opportunity to do it now ...

No coming out the bunkers, UK population to morph into Morlocks over time.